Page 1926 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 92614261826187619161924192519261927192819361976202624262926 ... LastLast
Results 38,501 to 38,520 of 67383
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't know!
    The online appointment scheduler didn't say. I'm guessing 2 doses of something just because there are more of them about these days. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I put three bulbs of garlic cloves on the Tuscan. 😀
    Oh my sweet summer belly.

Oh my sweet summer belly.
    Does BundabergBaby eat this deliciousness?

We have a Dewey's Pizza here. One of their pizzas is the Porky Fig - A Fig Jam Base, Mozzarella, Fontina, Prosciutto, Caramelized Red Onions, Gorgonzola. It is delicious!

What’s your work equivalent of a triple double?

I always wondered what it would be like to defend someone (legally speaking) you knew to be guilty.

Someone I knew committed a pretty bad crime years ago and I spoke with the lead mitigation guy and he seemed pretty committed to painting the full picture of a person, which I can appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    We have a Dewey's Pizza here. One of their pizzas is the Porky Fig - A Fig Jam Base, Mozzarella, Fontina, Prosciutto, Caramelized Red Onions, Gorgonzola. It is delicious!
    Well, that just sounds delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Does BundabergBaby eat this deliciousness?
    He gets little nibbles of leftovers but was in bed. He did get introduced to fried chicken at his great grandma’s birthday. Not the fried skin but the chicken. He approved.

I always wondered what it would be like to defend someone (legally speaking) you knew to be guilty.

Someone I knew committed a pretty bad crime years ago and I spoke with the lead mitigation guy and he seemed pretty committed to painting the full picture of a person, which I can appreciate.
    FWIW I have found it easier to represent a guilty guy who might get off, as opposed to an innocent guy that might go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIw I have found it easier to represent a guilty guy who might get off, as opposed to an innocent guy that might go to jail.
    That is the greater sin in my mind, too.

The last 2 times I've been called for jury duty, they ended up not needing jurors to report on the day. The time before that, when I actually reported for jury duty, they were seating jurors for a malpractice case. In the "Is there anything the court should know about your background?" portion of the juror information sheet, I had written "Have participated in research on malpractice cases". I was juror number 87 out of 96 that were called that day. They had kept 2 potential jurors by the time they got to me. The judge looked at my sheet and laughed as he waved me on. I said, "I'll understand all the testimony." He still waved me on.

I had co-authored a paper with one of the expert witnesses on the case, so, there is no way I was going to be seated but we didn't have to get that far.

It did make me wonder though. I suspect I will never be seated on a jury ever because I cannot imagine a scenario where one side won't take objection to me. Everyone has biases though. When it came to that malpractice case, it was a woman with breast cancer who was suing her PCP, the radiologist who had read her mammogram, and the clinic where the mammogram was done. I wasn't seated so I didn't hear all of the details, but I like to think that if the case had merit, I would have found in her favor. That said, I would have been a particularly hard nut to crack given what I know about mammography (it's the best we've got, it doesn't catch everything), about malpractice (winning cases isn't really about doctor negligence, it's about how sympathetic the plaintiff is), and about the doctors who insist on their day in court (vast majority of malpractice cases are settled out of court and insurance pays the award, those that do make it to trial are usually the cases where the doctors refuse to settle because they firmly believe they met or exceeded standards of care). So yeah, the plaintiff had an upward battle with me, but, again, I would have understood all the testimony and I would have take my job to be impartial for that case very seriously.

I have come to the belief that a jury of one's peers is no longer possible.

At the time though, I was relieved to be let go. My kids were still little and it would have been extremely difficult to arrange child care for a long trial. (IIRC, they expected that trial to take 3 weeks.)

Banana nut muffins. Need more nuts.

I brought that up because in a criminal trial, since sending someone to jail is way more serious than having to pay money, my "reasonable doubt" bar is probably very high. I would rather let a guilty person go than find an innocent person guilty.

So, yeah, I get that defending an innocent person who might be found guilty would be the absolute worst.

Also, if the state brought in an expert witness who never found evidence that would help the defense, I would immediately discount everything they said and I would make the statistical argument against that witness in the jury room.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Banana nut muffins. Need more nuts.
    Always, or just the one you have right now?

I've lived for fifty years in the same place (essentially) and have never been called for jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've lived for fifty years in the same place (essentially) and have never been called for jury duty.
    There just isn't enough crime in Vermont, I guess.

Always, or just the one you have right now?
    The one I have right now. Or had.

The last two times the jury duty envelope has shown up at my door, it has been for my two oldest sons, once each.

The three stages of reaction: Oh no, jury duty! Wait, not me, yay! Wait, now I have to make sure the kid deals with this, another chore for me, ugh.

There just isn't enough crime in Vermont, I guess.
    of course the current issue is that there hasn't been a jury trial in Vermont in over a year...(I don't think there have been any trials).

LTE pumping out fast balls this morning. The triple double for me is speaking in a room of adversarial doctors and having them come up to me afterwards and thanking me for my participation and trying to get more information. I love speaking at conferences with large audiences, but those lectures are generally sedate affairs and you will seldom have an audience member who is so diametrically opposed to what you are saying that the knives come out. I have had that happen a few times and those are a lot of fun as well, but that has only happened maybe two or three times. Medicine is weird, and this should make Bostondevil nod, because everyone is smart, but there is literally so much information to know that no one can have an absolute grasp of everything. I am not in the upper echelon IQ in most rooms, and especially not in front of physicians at major academic medical centers. What I have done is find a relatively esoteric branch of neonatal medicine and learned as much about this area as all but maybe three or four of the most prominent physicians in the world. And I'm friends with all of those dudes because I have spoken at lots of conferences with them and I take them out for a beer and picked their brains. It's a funny thing about information that none of it is yours. Everything you know was given to you by someone else. What is also true is that everyone in the room is convinced they already understand neonatal ventilation. And they don't . So what I have tried to do is learn from those people who understand things at a higher level than I do. So the triple-double for me is being at a large academic medical center and having the folks in the room pull out all of their grenades while I calmly discuss anatomy and physiology, the physics of gas flow during ventilation and the mathematics involved in getting that gas to go where you would like it to go and avoid those areas you would like it to avoid. And when you break it all down, that's what everyone who is using a device to ventilate a baby is trying to do. The secret is there really aren't that many folks who are actually good at doing it. If the general public knew just how bad it was they would be appalled. Most medical centers operate in a quasi vacuum and there is very little accountability. Until last week when I received a promotion to become the person who will be doing these lectures all over the world rather than regionally, my best professional day is the day I did a lecture at one of the four or five most respected medical centers for a room of about 60 neonatologists, fellows and residents and 1 physician stood up and said: "This all sounds wonderful but how do we know you are not just a salesperson?" And his medical director stood up and pointed at him and said: "Did you not listen to him? I have spoken at conferences with him and he is an accomplished pulmonary physiologist." That day was a 48, 17 + 15 night for me and I promptly drove to grab a cigar and beer. And I sat outside and smoke that cigar and drink that beer with a smile on my face because that was all I had ever wanted.