Page 855 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 35575580584585385485585685786590595513551855 ... LastLast
Results 17,081 to 17,100 of 67372
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    Wiiiiilllllllsoooooonnnnnn, we need deets on the new gig. Pleez.
    Gladly!
    Thumbnail version, some of which you already know:
    After several years of steadily climbing misery, I left a PhD program in history in 2011, knowing I wanted to stay in Atlanta and teach high school. I ended up teaching middle school at a Christian school in the Atlanta suburbs for 2.5 years, before they drafted me to move up to the high school (within the same private school) for the last 2.5 years.
    All along, I had targeted one specific Atlanta-area school, known for elite but very innovative and often unconventional academics, as my mountaintop goal. This school called me earlier during this spring semester to ask if I was interested in two openings: one in the high school and one in the middle. After several months of twists and turns, I got the call this past Thursday to tell me that I've earned my spot there. I'm headed back to middle school, which I found myself really drawn to in some surprising ways. I have had a wonderful 5 years at my current place of employment, accomplished a lot professionally and built friendships with some great people. But my new gig is a better philosophical fit and a major financial and logistical upgrade (my daily round trip commute will go from 44 miles and about 80-85 minutes, to 8 miles and about 20 minutes...the gasoline savings alone will be about $1200 a year). It's the culmination of a lot of major personal and professional goals, and I see my new school as pretty much the end of the line for me, the kind of place where I envision being until my retirement (which is still well in the future).

That is wonderful news. Great to "hear" the happiness in your post. Lucky kids to get such a thoughtful and accomplished teacher.
    But, you're still buying us all a round, right? I didn't see any confirmation of this up thread.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Gladly!
    After several years of steadily climbing misery, I left a PhD program in history in 2011, knowing I wanted to stay in Atlanta and teach high school. I ended up teaching middle school at a Christian school in the Atlanta suburbs for 2.5 years, before they drafted me to move up to the high school (within the same private school) for the last 2.5 years.
    All along, I had targeted one specific Atlanta-area school, known for elite but very innovative and often unconventional academics, as my mountaintop goal. This school called me earlier during this spring semester to ask if I was interested in two openings: one in the high school and one in the middle. After several months of twists and turns, I got the call this past Thursday to tell me that I've earned my spot there. I'm headed back to middle school, which I found myself really drawn to in some surprising ways. I have had a wonderful 5 years at my current place of employment, accomplished a lot professionally and built friendships with some great people. But my new gig is a better philosophical fit and a major financial and logistical upgrade (my daily round trip commute will go from 44 miles and about 80-85 minutes, to 8 miles and about 20 minutes...the gasoline savings alone will be about $1200 a year). It's the culmination of a lot of major personal and professional goals, and I see my new school as pretty much the end of the line for me, the kind of place where I envision being until my retirement (which is still well in the future).
    Great news, Wilson!

Gladly!
    Most excellent news.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Gladly!
    Congratulations!

Congratulations, Wilson. I know you will continue to touch a lot of bright minds in your work.

Gladly!
    Paideia, my alma mater?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Paideia, my alma mater?
    We have a winner.

Finally finished moving. Now to unpack. Then pack again...for my vacation, which couldn't come soon enough

Congrats Wilson!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Paideia, my alma mater?
    We have a winner.
    Congratulations...and congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Finally finished moving. Now to unpack. Then pack again...for my vacation, which couldn't come soon enough
    I also hate moving.
    I hate helping people move.
    I'm gonna be at my house later, helping people stay put.

Hey! Get off my hood!

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I also hate moving.
    I hate helping people move.
    I'm gonna be at my house later, helping people stay put.

Hey! Get off my hood!
    I'd bet you wouldn't say that to this young lady:

"...Barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a Dodge
    Drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain..."

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Cigars plus whiskey equals 110 years

From today's news:

A man believed to be America's oldest veteran is celebrating his 110th birthday on Wednesday.

Richard Overton, of Austin, Texas, fought in the 1887th Engineer Aviation Battalion in World War II, and served as a corporal in Hawaii, Guam and Iwo Jima.

His tips for longevity are far from traditional: He chain-smokes cigars, insists on a splash of whiskey in his morning coffee, and enjoys a steady diet of fried catfish and butter pecan ice cream, he told TODAY two years ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From today's news:
    I have a new hero.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Gladly!
    Fantastic!! Congrats!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I posted this in another thread, but I'm going to put this here, just in case.

I'm producing Macbeth with the Shakespeare group that I'm a part of, It's a Fiasco. If you want the whole sordid story - go read the "Lessons Learned" thread. Anyway, being a theater company that produces free outdoor Shakespeare, we never have enough money. We have a fundraising campaign. My spiel has been to ask my friends who are likely to come to donate the price of a ticket and take a 2 for 1 deal since we're putting on As You Like It later in the summer, or take a 3, 4, 5, or even 20 for one deal, donate the price of a ticket and bring all your friends to see both shows. Anyway - if supporting my theater habit appeals to anyone around here - here's the link - https://www.gofundme.com/itsafiasco2016

If you're going to be in Cambridge in June - I am playing Lady MacDuff - come and see me get stabbed onstage!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'd bet you wouldn't say that to this young lady:

"...Barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a Dodge
    Drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain..."

Maybe. Maybe not.
    I guess we'll never know.

Tune in next week for another episode of Stuff that will NEVER happen to You.
    Good night.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not.
    I guess we'll never know.

Tune in next week for another episode of Stuff that will NEVER happen to You.
    Good night.
    so I guess the girl on the hood of the car, from that old Whitesnake video, is off your wish list?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    so I guess the girl on the hood of the car, from that old Whitesnake video, is off your wish list?
    I will not incriminate myself.