Dickey out for the Year

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3160456

It also says that he has missed the 1st 8 games of the season with this injury, but I thought he was academically ineligible for the 1st semester, is that a different Tech player?

For a second I thought this was going to be a thread on Vitale being down with throat surgery...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3160456

It also says that he has missed the 1st 8 games of the season with this injury, but I thought he was academically ineligible for the 1st semester, is that a different Tech player?
    It is the same player. His injury combined with his inelligibilty makes this redshirt a no-brainer.

I think this is a significant move for 2 reasons -- Firstly, Tech appears to be going nowhere this season and getting Dickey back was not going to solve their PG problems. On the other hand, they were looking at losign both dickey and Jeremis Smith on the front line next season which could have presented some issues for them at the F/C. now they will have a very strong and experienced players returning to play C next year. That helps Tech a lot.

Also, this may sound funny, but this is good for Duke. With Dickey, Tech could have presented real problems for Duke in the frontcourt. I think Tech's woeful backcourt situation would have made it very hard for the Jackets to stay with Duke but, for obvious reasons, it is good for Duke if we don't have to contend with strong, deep front-lines like Tech would have had with Dickey on the roster this season. It seems minor, but I'd chalk this up as something that helps Duke, at least a little tiny bit, this season.

-Jason "I am really stretching to make this relevant for Duke" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Also, this may sound funny, but this is good for Duke. With Dickey, Tech could have presented real problems for Duke in the frontcourt. I think Tech's woeful backcourt situation would have made it very hard for the Jackets to stay with Duke but, for obvious reasons, it is good for Duke if we don't have to contend with strong, deep front-lines like Tech would have had with Dickey on the roster this season. It seems minor, but I'd chalk this up as something that helps Duke, at least a little tiny bit, this season.

-Jason "I am really stretching to make this relevant for Duke" Evans
    I wouldn't say it's a stretch for the relevance to Duke. I know this is a completely different year but Dickey had a very good game against Duke last year. He was strong in the post and he set the tone early. I think for Ga. Tech to be competitive w/ Duke this year, Dickey's consistent and powerful play in the post would have been a key in establishing a presence down low for the Jackets. We shall see...