Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visiting fans

However,...

The horse racing is much better at Saratoga, Vernon Downs, Finger Lakes, Syracuse, or Batavia/Buffalo depending where you are.

Larry
    Devilhorse

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Singapore's Indoor Stadium can only pale by comparison, I'd think. We don't have a copyright on the nomenclature?

still laughing about Shav whizzing in the sink...
    was that the only shot he made that season?

Hallowed Ground?

I guess, for folks who are visitors or basketball buffs, CIS is hallowed ground. For me, as a student from the 60's, it's just a gym where I hung out, looking for a half court game on the side courts. They were always available when the bleachers were rolled back and the backboards were cranked down.

And "Cameron Indoor Stadium?" Of course not; Eddie himself was often seen walking the place. In the off season, you could actually find pickup games which varsity players would join. Or they might take over one of the baskets for personal practice. The first time I ever heard about a 'lid on it' was while I was watching Jack Marin shooting from the corner and he missed 4 or 5 straight. "Must be a lid on it," he said.

Anyway, for some of us, hallowed today, it was simply the gym where we played rat ball. (Card was usually set up for something else, often badminton. It was a mistake to challenge one of the cage guys to a badminton game in Card. Big, in their 40's or older, and seemingly slower than any 20-year-old, they dominated anyone who dared play them.) For me, it's a great memory. But in those days, Duke Indoor Stadium was a college hangout. It's hard for me to see it as a shrine.

-- Except, of course, when the stands are pulled out, the heat is up, guys wearing white singlets with a royal blue 'Duke' across their front are on the floor and the Pep Band is wailing.

Two of those players were wearing numbers (25, 44) that now hang from the ceiling. Others, like Marin, have their names on the concourse. So I understand it now, after 47 years. But back then...it was a place where sweaty young men entertained themselves after classes.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

You've captured the spirit of those times well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I guess, for folks who are visitors or basketball buffs, CIS is hallowed ground. For me, as a student from the 60's, it's just a gym where I hung out, looking for a half court game on the side courts. They were always available when the bleachers were rolled back and the backboards were cranked down.

And "Cameron Indoor Stadium?" Of course not; Eddie himself was often seen walking the place. In the off season, you could actually find pickup games which varsity players would join. Or they might take over one of the baskets for personal practice. The first time I ever heard about a 'lid on it' was while I was watching Jack Marin shooting from the corner and he missed 4 or 5 straight. "Must be a lid on it," he said.

Anyway, for some of us, hallowed today, it was simply the gym where we played rat ball. (Card was usually set up for something else, often badminton. It was a mistake to challenge one of the cage guys to a badminton game in Card. Big, in their 40's or older, and seemingly slower than any 20-year-old, they dominated anyone who dared play them.) For me, it's a great memory. But in those days, Duke Indoor Stadium was a college hangout. It's hard for me to see it as a shrine.

-- Except, of course, when the stands are pulled out, the heat is up, guys wearing white singlets with a royal blue 'Duke' across their front are on the floor and the Pep Band is wailing.

Two of those players were wearing numbers (25, 44) that now hang from the ceiling. Others, like Marin, have their names on the concourse. So I understand it now, after 47 years. But back then...it was a place where sweaty young men entertained themselves after classes.
    Jim, I was apparently there a little later than you, but I remember doing much the same things as you describe. It was great to be able to play pickup and intramural games in the Indoor Stadium. (Eddie Cameron was definitely seen a lot -- not a name on a sign.)

But I remember playing b-ball in Card, too. One two-on-two game in Card I remember well was when a buddy and I took on two high school guys from Durham who had come around to play. Only after we got royally creamed and while I was walking off the floor did I learn that the shorter guy with the big Afro was named John Lucas, some hot shot prospect that everyone was excited about. I thought he had an unusually good jumper...and was awfully quick.

Grey Devil

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post

That's pretty, Bluedawg, but it's wearing a funny hat!

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I only hope all of the Irondukes appreciate what they have and try to attend every game. I know most of them do, but it really stinks to look on Ebay at all those tickets selling for astronomical amounts when true fans who would cheer like crazy are stuck watching at home.

I know it's not a perfect world but it sure would be nice if people who sold or gave their tickets away would try to make sure that the person sitting in their seats really has a passion for Duke and truly wants to be there to cheer on their team.
    My Mom and Dad have had season tickets for 41 years and are the type of Iron Dukes who will go to great lengths to ensure that real Duke fans use their seats when they are unable to attend. In fact, I drove down from Chicago for the Tar Heel game one year to use their tickets because my parents were out of the country. My father insisted that he would burn the tickets if I didn't use them because he couldn't risk the remote possibility of chapel hell fans sitting in his seats. For other games, he will give the tickets to friends or to graduate students who don't make it in from the walk-up line.

By the way, I just graduated Duke and was one of the very, very few middle-age students at the graduate school basketball campouts and the Duke-unc campouts. My friends thought I was nuts, but I waited most of my life to be a Cameron Crazy. It was well worth it and I would do it all again.

Go Duke!!!

DukePA-

dude, your parents are wise and have taught you well and i like your dad's thinking on burning those tickets; HOWEVER, IF indeed they can't go and you can't either, write me and i'll gladly go. I, like you, am a former Crazy and I'd love the chance to go and tease the Holes yet again (or, anyone for that matter), thanks, dth.

Smile Cameron Effects

Just a side note from a dad in NJ whose son is committed to getting to Duke. Over the summer we vactioned in Outer Banks and 11yo son needed to get to see Duke. Made 4 hour plus trip in August. While the floor had just been redone we had to go upstairs. As my son came through the exit and saw inside, he had to sit down for a couple of minutes just to take it all in.

Last saw a reaction from him like this was when he was 3 and saw Christmas tree and presents.

Would love some day to make the trip and see a game with him. Seeing Duke in Garden and Meadowlands is one thing... It goes without saying that CIS is something very, VERY different.

It is a special place...

My son is a Junior in high school and he spent last summer at Northwestern (my husband's alma mater). In order to undo the Chicago brainwashing, I took him to Duke this past October. Here is the picture I took when he walked into Cameron... (Hope this works)

Right after this picture was taken, DeMarcus, Jon, and Coach K walked by. My husband thinks this was a recruiting violation