Thread: NCAA Soccer

NCAA Soccer

Congrats to Wake. Great game.

Final Score

Wake 2, OhioSt 1

Wake goal in the 77th minute by Zack Schilawski.

It will all change next year after we hire Rafa Benitez to coach Duke.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Was it just me or did OSU's guys appear to be more thuggish than they looked?

Congratulations, Wake Forest.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I was very happy to see Wake win. Even before watching the game I knew I was rooting for the ACC squad. But OSU's team was pretty awful to watch, making plays that really should have been given a straight red - for those of you who didn't see the game, find a picture of Valentin for Wake either bleeding during the game, or even the "patched up" version hoisting the trophy shows you how bad it was, 30 stitches across his face. Its not that I thought OSU was trying to be deliberately dirty, but just out of control dangerous. And then I had to almost laugh at the OSU goalie who ran over and bumped into the linesman while screaming at him over not calling something after the game winning goal was scored. Because there wasn't even a question on the last goal, it was onside by about 10 yards and the only contact was the OSU defender trying to reach out and grab Tracy for Wake as he was going by.

In short, way to go Wake, great job.

Should it have been a 1st half penalty kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    I was very happy to see Wake win. Even before watching the game I knew I was rooting for the ACC squad. But OSU's team was pretty awful to watch, making plays that really should have been given a straight red - for those of you who didn't see the game, find a picture of Valentin for Wake either bleeding during the game, or even the "patched up" version hoisting the trophy shows you how bad it was, 30 stitches across his face. Its not that I thought OSU was trying to be deliberately dirty, but just out of control dangerous. And then I had to almost laugh at the OSU goalie who ran over and bumped into the linesman while screaming at him over not calling something after the game winning goal was scored. Because there wasn't even a question on the last goal, it was onside by about 10 yards and the only contact was the OSU defender trying to reach out and grab Tracy for Wake as he was going by.

In short, way to go Wake, great job.
    They should have called a penalty kick for Wake in the first half. That uncalled foul that Zack S. took in the box was pretty much typical of how tOSU played throughout the game. They didn't call it ... glad Wake didn't need it.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. No mojo, it wasn't just you!
    Last edited by Lavabe; 12-16-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: mojo

Indeed it was a good game...Wake's second goal was a real beaut.
    Even my brother, a huge soccer non-fan, got into (perhaps not so remarkable, considering he's a Wake alum). My mistletoe bit the dust during his celebration of goal #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    They should have called a penalty kick for Wake in the first half. That uncalled foul that Zack S. took in the box was pretty much typical of how tOSU played throughout the game. They didn't call it ... glad Wake didn't need it.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. No mojo, it wasn't just you!
    I had to ask 'cause I didn't get to see the whole deal.

Why does a Big Ten football school's soccer team playing an ugly, borderline thuggish brand of soccer in the national championship game against an ACC squad sound vaguely familiar?

Thank you, Wake, and congratulations.

The only thing I could figure was that the goalie was calling for a phantom hand ball that never happened. Sweet goal. Only caught the last 25 minutes of the game, which was all Wake.

What was up with Wake's coach and keeping that guy on the bench the entire first half? No wonder it took him 14 years. What was the strategy there, anybody know?