Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

The Mitchell Report: Steroids Run Rampant

Will anyone else be watching at 2pm when the report is released? They say 60-80 names will be named. We all know some names that will be on the list, but what if your favorite player who you thought was clean is named-- will that change your opinion of him/her? Would you want your team to deal/drop players who were 'roiding?

What if Chipper Jones is named?
    What if Roger Clemens is named?
    What if Cal Ripken is named?

What should baseball do? Should records be re-set?

--Jason "lets make this thread our collection point for steroid stuff today" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Will anyone else be watching at 2pm when the report is released? They say 60-80 names will be named. We all know some names that will be on the list, but what if your favorite player who you thought was clean is named-- will that change your opinion of him/her? Would you want your team to deal/drop players who were 'roiding?

--Jason "lets make this thread our collection point for steroid stuff today" Evans
    Funny you should pose your question like that. In the long run, I think this process can only be good for baseball, but my first thought this morning as I listened to the sportscenter Mitchell Report pregame was worry.
    I am terrified of two people's names being on the list: Chipper Jones and John Smoltz. Please note, I am not insinuating that I believe either guy is/was a user, but if it comes out that one of them was, it would genuinely rock my baseball fanhood, not to mention destroying any shred of respect/affinity I ever had for either. I am virtually positive that there will be some names on the list that I will find sorely dismaying, but if either of my above-mentioned favorites end up on there, I'll seriously question whether I want to have anything to do with baseball anymore.
    This probably shouldn't worry me as much as it does, but I'm definitely a bit on edge.

I'll be hoping that my least favorite players (Curt Schilling) are on the list.

I'll definitely be listening on my XM Radio. I think it will be interesting to see what happens and who is named. Just heard on my XM that several prominent Yankees are named and that it will be a rough day in the Bronx.

Whoever is named the bigger question will be, so what? What will happen to the names?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    For a long while, steroid use was illegal but not banned by baseball. If some folks used steroids then, for me as a fan, I just don't care that much. I kind of feel that yeah, maybe they should have known better but since use was probably rampant and not specifically prohibited by MLB, well, that's the way things were done. Now, baseball has banned it, it's a rule, you gotta follow the rules. I care more about future steroid use than past stuff.

Records will not be re-set, for better or worse. That's my prediction. You can't take away some records without affecting the outcome of some of the games they were played in, nor the records of those who played clean (if there are any).

I think records will just be relative to an era - the dead ball era, the steroid era, etc. Maybe if the sport ever gets cleaned up, i.e., they can and do test for all known performance-enhancing drugs, then 40 hr will again be the sign of a great slugger. And comparisons will just be made to the then-current testing regime.

There's going to be a lot of players tarred as frauds, but in the end, I still enjoy the game. I enjoyed it before the drugs too, and in fact, I rather prefer the small ball. Single, stolen base, hit & run, etc. Homer after homer, the boring trot around, it isn't very exciting. Close plays at the plate, at 2nd, working a walk after a lot of foul balls, turning a critical dp - that's all exciting to me.

I do find it a bit ludicrous that performances using something "not banned" by MLB but illegal under the laws of the USA are considered legit by many (e.g., players' union?).

But as I said above, one cannot easily remove them from the historical record.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    There's going to be a lot of players tarred as frauds, but in the end, I still enjoy the game. I enjoyed it before the drugs too, and in fact, I rather prefer the small ball. Single, stolen base, hit & run, etc. Homer after homer, the boring trot around, it isn't very exciting. Close plays at the plate, at 2nd, working a walk after a lot of foul balls, turning a critical dp - that's all exciting to me.
    Amen to that. But to me, illegal or not, against the rules or not, performance-enhancing drugs were and are cheating, and that's something I just can't abide. I don't even cheat at Monopoly (I will, however, kick your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.), and I don't think it's asking a lot to hope that multimillionaires with already extraordinary physical gifts approach their game with the same respect. It would really bother me if some of my favorites turned out to be cheaters.

I will definitely be watching. This will be the biggest sports story of the year and possibly of many years if, as we've been hearing, there are prominent names - MVPs, All-Stars, potential hall of famers - on there besides Bonds. I have my ideas regarding some of them, including those on the Yankees. I have a hunch that some of the most recent MVPs in both leagues will be on the list including one who won a World Series title recently. I think this has the potential to shake the foundations of the sport. I am particularly interested in the MLBPA response to the report and to calls for third party testing.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

ESPN is reporting that Clemens is on the list. Not a shocker but still a huge blow to baseball. The greatest pitcher of the past 30 or so years... sad.

The best pitcher and best hitter in the game both were using. This is a huge blow to baseball.

-Jason "Roger and Barry both had a shot at being the first unanimous HOFers... now they will likely not even go in on the first ballot" Evans

ESPN is reporting that Clemens is on the list. Not a shocker but still a huge blow to baseball. The greatest pitcher of the past 30 or so years... sad.

The best pitcher and best hitter in the game both were using. This is a huge blow to baseball.

-Jason "Roger and Barry both had a shot at being the first unanimous HOFers... now they will likely not even go in on the first ballot" Evans
    Agree that it is a huge blow to baseball and Clemens's legacy but I would be more surprised if he were not on the list. It also makes it very likely that Pettitte is on the list which would be far more disturbing to me as a Yankee fan and a baseball fan.

I suspect several other prominent Yankees are on the list. I wonder if there will be more National Leaguers due to the bulk of the information coming from the Mets clubhouse attendant.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I agree with everyone that the record books will not be altered. It's just going to be a sad, sad day for the fans of the sport. It's ashame because it didn't have to come to this.

It will be interesting to see how the game is affected beginning next year. I think I read where baseball made something like 6 billion in revenue this year. Will the fans as a whole continue their support after a bomb like this. Only time will tell.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

The existence of the entire field of sabermetrics is pretty much predicated on the belief that stats in different circumstances (eras in this case) need to be interpereted in context. I can't be convinced one era's batch of numbers is better or worse than any other's.

What if the list includes... Cal Ripken? His head got bigger too, just like Barry's.

a. This doesn't surprise me a bit.
    b. I don't agree that Clemens is the greatest pitcher in last 30 years.
    c. Best pitcher in last 30 years is Maddox.
    d. I would be highly suprised if Maddox was on this list.
    ~rthomas

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ah, cheating. Define it. Is stealing signs cheating? Everybody tries to do it, some succeed. How about spitballs, Gaylord Perry is in the HOF if I'm not mistaken. How about ARod yelling at that third baseman on a pop-up? How about Ty Cobb going in spikes up? Where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line at things you put in your mouth or inject under your skin? Why? What's the real difference? Thirty years ago, according to interviews I've read, all the guys took amphetamines, that was the performance enhancing drug of choice at the time. Ten years ago, it was steroids. What makes steroids any different? Was absolutely everyone in a major league uniform taking drugs at any given time? No, but when enough guys around you are doing it and your livelihood depends on it and MLB doesn't have a official policy, I mean, why wouldn't you?

MLB is not the Olympics where they've been trying to root out the performance enhancing abusers for years. If as many as 80 players are on that list it's because MLB turned a blind eye to what was going on. When the culture implicitly condones the behavior, I just can't consider it cheating.

Well, Maddux (sorry had to do it) has really bulked up over the years .

If there are up to 80 names that are going to come out, then I believe that there are probably hundreds of players who have used performance enhancing drugs in the past 10-15 years. With so much contract money riding on performance, it only stands to reason that many players would try to gain an edge or just keep up with other players to protect their livelyhood. I'm not condoning what had been done, but it is understandable and these 60-80 names are probably the tip of the iceberg.
    Tom Mac

No, not Cal!

If Cal is on the list I will be GREATLY disappointed!!!

I don't need that today. It's been bad enough that today is HUGE milestone b-day, but for Cal to be on the list would really put this day in the toilet for me.

A guy in my office just passed out "Mitchell Report Bingo" cards.

I think my best chance is on the "John Kruk-Kerry Woods-Barry Bonds-Joe Borowski-Paul LoDuca" row...

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    A guy in my office just passed out "Mitchell Report Bingo" cards.

I think my best chance is on the "John Kruk-Kerry Woods-Barry Bonds-Joe Borowski-Paul LoDuca" row...

That is HILARIOUS! Know where I can get one to print online?