Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Clarifications

The full name of A B's was A B Morrison's Cafeteria, wasn't it? Lunch was either 65 or 85 cents. We all had to squeeze in between the short cafeteria line and the long tables set up right against it to drink our pre-sweetened iced tea and baskets or the greatest hushpuppies ever. It was unbelieveable how the server would squeeze in between the long tables to repleish the tea and hushpuppies. Because of the times, they had a side screen door marked for "colored" only allowed for take-out. It was open most of the day, I think, because it existed for the tobacco factories around it, and most times I think the line went out the door. Of course, not that many people could fit in the line inside due to the place's overall size, anyway. It later moved from it's original small wooden building to a newer brick one that I went to when I came back for a visit many years after graduating. Is that when it became Nance's?

Was it Foy's that had the stools you had to stand behind to wait for someone to get up so you could sit? Or, was that a place maybe called the Magnolia Grill? What I remember is that you needed a car or could hitch a ride to get there to be served at the grill by a big fat African American lady with a long hair hanging out from her chin. The fried egg sandwiches in the wee hours of the morning was the only way to go.

Mayola's was the best pace to dance to Martha and the Vandella's, 4 Tops, etc in the back left on the tiny dance floor. Outstanding juke box things in the booth's.

There was a student that used to sit in the back at Bat's that would bet guys a beer that he could chug one faster than they could. It was a sucker bet, as he just open almost the whole top of the can an pour it down his throat. He had a way to just open up his throat. I never saw him lose.

I did see skin flicks at the Crit, but it was nothing like the Durham County Fair. That's where I was introduced to the Ping Pong ball routine and the comb that the patron never seemed to want returned after it was "used". Boy, those women were NASTY. I couldn't believe they allowed stuff like at a county fair.

The Amos and Andy place was in 5 points wasn't it? Right at the beginning of downtown? Those dogs were really good.

The Rat had good Gamblers, but I liked the individually baked Lasagna at the Zoom Zoom Room better.

Occasionally we used to go downtown to a very small eating place for real cheap that had like homey dinners, but I don't know the name of it. You needed a car. We used to play Hearts with the sugar packs using the different design colors and patterns for different suits.

Also, what was the name of the "classier" steak place out towards the airport?

And last, since a lot has already been covered, are we ready to branch out into the long lost Joe College weekend and all the fun times in the tobacco warehouse getting drunk and dancing to James Brown and others live?

Are we ready to bring up The Hot Nuts, too? Or Nurmi?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    The full name of A B's was A B Morrison's Cafeteria, wasn't it? Lunch was either 65 or 85 cents. We all had to squeeze in between the short cafeteria line and the long tables set up right against it to drink our pre-sweetened iced tea and baskets or the greatest hushpuppies ever. It was unbelieveable how the server would squeeze in between the long tables to repleish the tea and hushpuppies. Because of the times, they had a side screen door marked for "colored" only allowed for take-out. It was open most of the day, I think, because it existed for the tobacco factories around it, and most times I think the line went out the door. Of course, not that many people could fit in the line inside due to the place's overall size, anyway. It later moved from it's original small wooden building to a newer brick one that I went to when I came back for a visit many years after graduating. Is that when it became Nance's?

Was it Foy's that had the stools you had to stand behind to wait for someone to get up so you could sit? Or, was that a place maybe called the Magnolia Grill? What I remember is that you needed a car or could hitch a ride to get there to be served at the grill by a big fat African American lady with a long hair hanging out from her chin. The fried egg sandwiches in the wee hours of the morning was the only way to go.

Mayola's was the best pace to dance to Martha and the Vandella's, 4 Tops, etc in the back left on the tiny dance floor. Outstanding juke box things in the booth's.

There was a student that used to sit in the back at Bat's that would bet guys a beer that he could chug one faster than they could. It was a sucker bet, as he just open almost the whole top of the can an pour it down his throat. He had a way to just open up his throat. I never saw him lose.

I did see skin flicks at the Crit, but it was nothing like the Durham County Fair. That's where I was introduced to the Ping Pong ball routine and the comb that the patron never seemed to want returned after it was "used". Boy, those women were NASTY. I couldn't believe they allowed stuff like at a county fair.

The Amos and Andy place was in 5 points wasn't it? Right at the beginning of downtown? Those dogs were really good.

The Rat had good Gamblers, but I liked the individually baked Lasagna at the Zoom Zoom Room better.

Occasionally we used to go downtown to a very small eating place for real cheap that had like homey dinners, but I don't know the name of it. You needed a car. We used to play Hearts with the sugar packs using the different design colors and patterns for different suits.

Also, what was the name of the "classier" steak place out towards the airport?

And last, since a lot has already been covered, are we ready to branch out into the long lost Joe College weekend and all the fun times in the tobacco warehouse getting drunk and dancing to James Brown and others live?

Are we ready to bring up The Hot Nuts, too? Or Nurmi?

ricks
    The steak place was and is The Angus Barn. It was owned and operated by Thad Eure, Jr. His father was Secretary of Agriculture in NC from the mid-thirty's into the 70's. One of the most powerful men in the State. There was also Hartman's Steak House with the best onion rings in the world. That was east of town on East Geer street.

Remember the club on Chapel Hill St. - east from where Duke University Road bears off to the right. It was in the basement and was where the Hot Nuts would play.

ricks
    It was Foy's. I don't remember him having a large African American lady working there, but your time was 4 years after me. After the civil rights movement made its justifiable inroads, even Foy could have come around, though I don't know what his feelings on race were.

I stood opposite the Tod when the sit-ins began in '64. It was quite an education. One that Duke hadn't yet provided. The big stuff came in '68 with the vigil.

Are we ready to bring up The Hot Nuts, too?

ricks
    Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts?

-jk
    You got it. They played Durham several times a year.

Anybody familiar with the Reverend Billy Wirtz, Southern Fried and Sanctified?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    ...Remember the club on Chapel Hill St. - east from where Duke University Road bears off to the right. It was in the basement and was where the Hot Nuts would play.
    Yep. My first weekend as a freshman at Duke--before the upperclass students returned to campus--I got up the nerve to call a freshman nursing student (a/k/a "Hanes Honey") from California, whom I had picked out of the facebook (back when they were printed) to invite on a date, and I took her to that downstairs club (I recall the entrance was just around the corner off Chapel Hill street) to see Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. Of course, she had never heard "Beach Music" before; but after a few beers--the drinking age was 18 then--she was singing "Stay" and "May I" along with the rest of us.

Of the Chapel Hill eateries, I always preferred the Zoom to the Rat; both were legendary for those overtenderized, laden-with-onions-sopping-in-grease "Gamblers" steaks, but the best item they served, by far, was hot apple pie a-la-mode. My fondest freshman-year memories of Chapel Hill (other than watching Duke beat UNC in Kenan Stadium) were Friday afternoons in the early fall and late spring at The Shack ("Come Down Before It Falls Down"), with Beach Music blaring on the jukebox while cold beer was consumed in mass quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post

Of the Chapel Hill eateries, I always preferred the Zoom to the Rat; both were legendary for those overtenderized, laden-with-onions-sopping-in-grease "Gamblers" steaks, but the best item they served, by far, was hot apple pie a-la-mode.
    The Zoom and the Rat were owned by the same guy and had basically the same menu, although they had different names for the dishes, eg, the Gambler at the Rat was the Strip Steak at the Zoom. The Zoom closed many years ago, but the Rat is still there in the alleyway, and the same waiters from the 60s are still there. They don't move quite as fast and they have gray hair (like us old fogies), but the Gamblers and the Lasagna are still fantastic. Also, the Rat has/had nicer decor (I've got to be kidding myself calling it decor) than the Zoom. Took my Hanes Honey to the Rat for our first date. Threatened to take her there for our 30th anniversary dinner last year

I remember one night at the Zoom, I think my sophomore year. It was all you could eat spaghetti night, and the AB guy was there so it became all the beer you could drink night too. Three platers of spaghetti and a couple of pitchers of beer later, and they rolled me back to Durham.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Various memories

When you mention steak houses or other restaurants for special occasions, don't forget Hartman's Steakhouse. It was located out near H'way 70 and near some of the warehouses where float building took place. Hartman's was famous for several items on their menu. One was the iceberg salad with cheese dressing.

Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts performed at various venues in and around Durham. They also performed at college venues all along the east coast. Doug Clark lived in Chapel Hill. A few years ago when I was working in CH, I was in line behind him at the old K&W. I had noticed his car out in the parking lot.... easy to ID since his name was on the vanity plate. We struck up a conversation while going through the line.

Does anyone else remember a guy whose name was something like "Stringbean" ... who had a combo? They played many fraternity parties.

AND last but not least, do you remember La Petite Birdland? It was a "black and tan" club over across he railroad tracks in the Haiti neighborhood. It was very much like a similar club portrayed in "Animal House." The guy at the door had to know you to let you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yep. My first weekend as a freshman at Duke--before the upperclass students returned to campus--I got up the nerve to call a freshman nursing student (a/k/a "Hanes Honey") from California, whom I had picked out of the facebook (back when they were printed) to invite on a date, and I took her to that downstairs club (I recall the entrance was just around the corner off Chapel Hill street) to see Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. Of course, she had never heard "Beach Music" before; but after a few beers--the drinking age was 18 then--she was singing "Stay" and "May I" along with the rest of us.

Of the Chapel Hill eateries, I always preferred the Zoom to the Rat; both were legendary for those overtenderized, laden-with-onions-sopping-in-grease "Gamblers" steaks, but the best item they served, by far, was hot apple pie a-la-mode. My fondest freshman-year memories of Chapel Hill (other than watching Duke beat UNC in Kenan Stadium) were Friday afternoons in the early fall and late spring at The Shack ("Come Down Before It Falls Down"), with Beach Music blaring on the jukebox while cold beer was consumed in mass quantities.
    A friend used to park his van outside Hanes House and announce "Party - Come Aboard." He called it callin' the hogs.

Talking La Petite and the Null and Void

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

AND last but not least, do you remember La Petite Birdland? It was a "black and tan" club over across he railroad tracks in the Haiti neighborhood. It was very much like a similar club portrayed in "Animal House." The guy at the door had to know you to let you in.
    I remember Birdland. The door you knocked on was a metal one and they would check you out and let you end. That was the only place, as I recall, that you could get a mixed drink at the time.
    Seems to me they had some guy who played a great jazz organ. I remember taking a few dates there. It was so dark you could hardly see. Quite a place.

I wonder if anyone remembers the Null and Void? I played in a jazz group there on weekends. It was continually being closed because of alcohol violations. Later it was turned into a "coffee house." Poetry, etc. Once some KA guys grabbed the trombone player's horn and a fight broke out! Don't fool with my axe guy!!!!.........

For Old Dukies Only. . .

Great posts to relive Duke and Durham of yore. Now to really make you feel old.
    1) The Durham County Public Library initiated an eighth grade student paper contest several years ago and the winning entry one year was a very well researched paper on Anna Maria's Pizza House. When the student received her award for best essay almost no one in the audience knew about her subject and she was congratulated for helping preserve Durham's lost history. I am sure the paper is on file at the library.
    2) When the student government at Duke, not the MSGA or WSGA obviously, was working with the Alumni Association for quite a few years on the seemingly impossible task of reviving homecoming, the current students learned about the downtown parade and float making in the tobacco warehouses. The student government then actually hired a consultant to demonstrate how to make displays with chickenwire! I couldn't believe it and then I realized that probably most Duke students had never heard of or much less seen chicken wire.
    I predict that the upcoming winning football will solve the homecoming "problem" and I am hopeful that putting lots of real paying customers in the football stadium will take pressure off the need to keep raising athletic money via basketball tickets. Heres to Dear Old Duke
    And I do remember script spelling by the DUMB.

When I came to Duke, in January, 1966, for Grad School (to begin in September), the fraternity parties required chaperone's for on or off campus apartments. My wife and I served as chaperone's for parties at the on campus groups and for off campus parties. The chaperone's were paid $10, a bottle of their favorite hooch and all they desired to drink at the party.

There were a number of events that were memorable, but probably the most amazing took place at the barn at Hogan's Lake in north Chapel Hill. Anyone remember Hogan's Lake?

Parties

When I came to Duke, in January, 1966, for Grad School (to begin in September), the fraternity parties required chaperone's for on or off campus apartments. My wife and I served as chaperone's for parties at the on campus groups and for off campus parties. The chaperone's were paid $10, a bottle of their favorite hooch and all they desired to drink at the party.

There were a number of events that were memorable, but probably the most amazing took place at the barn at Hogan's Lake in north Chapel Hill. Anyone remember Hogan's Lake?
    Is that the American Legion "Hut"? If so, that's the place my class revisited for one of our reunion events for the 25th I think. We were recreating a "cabin party".... is that a name from the past???

Did you attend parties at Spruce Pine Lodge? That was a great site for parties and later some weddings. It's in northern Durham County, part of the park surrounding Lake Michie, once great for boating and fishing, but now without water during the current drought.

Is that the American Legion "Hut"? If so, that's the place my class revisited for one of our reunion events for the 25th I think. We were recreating a "cabin party".... is that a name from the past???

Did you attend parties at Spruce Pine Lodge? That was a great site for parties and later some weddings. It's in northern Durham County, part of the park surrounding Lake Michie, once great for boating and fishing, but now without water during the current drought.
    Went to Spruce Pine Lodge many times. Hadn't thought of it in 25 years!

Absolutely. That was where you could hear the Durham edition of "Jazzbo" play the jazz flute. That guy was really good, even if his name came from elsewhere. We were too naive to know that he'd ripped it from the past.

I almost had problem in there one night when one of the locals decided we whites, me in particular, didn't belong there. He had a knife and brandished it from about 15 ft away. The lady who ran the place shut him down in a hurry. I and our group had been there many times before so she sort of knew us. We decided to leave anyway so as not to get into anything further. I still took dates there after that.

Jazzbo was a real musician. When he played 'Birdland,' the house song, the place always went nuts. I wonder what happened to him.

the Blue Light!

dth.

Thanks on the clarification responses

I also saw the Hot Nuts at one of those places mentioned. I remember hitch hiking one night with 2 other freshmen to see them sometime around midnight after a fall Dad's day party, or whatever. Some upper classmen picked us up and deposited us at the door. We had to force our way in to the front of the dance floor (which was packed with students jammed up about 5 feet from the group). All they were wearing were clear plastic raincoats with jock straps underneath. I think that was not their raunchiest attire, however.

After leaving the club we hitched back to another classier (anything would have been classier than that place) place and ended up sitting at a bar next to Raymond Berry.

My freshman year the parties were held off campus a lot at different places. A really cheap place at the time was this cabin somewhere along the Eno river, where you parked in an area and they would load you on the back of a small flatbed truck to take you across to the cabin which was isloated with no bridge to get to it. By the end of the party, when people needed to get back, many of the inebriated would fall off the back of the truck into the water, as there were no sides. When you rented the cabin, the truck transportation came with it.

ricks

Went to Spruce Pine Lodge many times. Hadn't thought of it in 25 years!
    We had an annual off-campus rush party at Spruce Pine Lodge.

After suffering from a serious lapse in judgement near the end of my sophomore year (massive quantities of beer and driving don't mix - a lesson learned very cheaply - we all lived) I was social chairman my junior year. When it came time for the Spruce Pine party, I insisted we rent buses for all brothers, freshman and dates to traverse from campus to and from the party. I became known as the man who brought busing to Phi Psi. We later rented buses again for a party in Raleigh. Very cheap insurance indeed.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Best parties

The comments about parties has brought up a question. Who gave the best parties?

I remember at least one fraternity known for having good bands at many of their parties including their famous "Chinese Open House in January between semesters (Hot Nuts, of course). I also know of another fraternity which rarely paid for bands, but frequently left the place in a shambles after somebody yelled "flesh pile."

As a Durham native and Duke grad, this thread is a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thanks, Blue Dress!

I frequented all of the dives mentioned. Bats was my favorite. My trips there we are always special. If you went for a late dinner, you would likely be treated to a spontaneous "concert" by the Batman himself. His songs were "colorful", shall we say. I continued my patronage as a Durham High student (off campus lunch) and then as a Duke undergrad. I loved to take the freshmen there. Those from the NE felt right at home with Bat's routine. Then, of course, we would race back to the dorm (bathrooms) for the infamous "Bat's blowout".

The Ivy Room the Blue Light have special places in my heart. I took my wife (Duke classmate) to the Ivy Room on our first date. I'm not sure she was as impressed as I hoped she'd be, but it wasn't a bad start by Durham dining standards, circa 1982. My parents met at the Blue Light. My dad was a Duke freshman, and my mother was a senior at Durham High.

I am now back in Durham and I must confess that I miss the hell out of the old guard restaurants and bars. I also miss the Oak room (my dad would take me there for lunch before Duke football games) and, of course, the Dope Shop...the ladies who worked at the Dope Shop treated me like a son, and they made the best hamburgers in Durham.

I'll take Bat's, Mayola's, the Ivy Room, the Oak Room, and the Dope Shop over the Magnolia Grill(e) any day!