Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K'ville is open

hey

any idea how many tents are in k-ville now?

As of a couple days ago there were still the same three tents that have been out there for a couple of weeks.

Tent 1's blog...http://web.mac.com/andersc/Tent_Blog/Blog/Blog.html
    "We’re still waiting for Tent 4 to get out here!" 12/27

It'll pick up right after New Years I'd imagine.

Birth of Cameron Crazies

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    When I went to Duke in the mid-70s, there was no such thing as camping outside for a game. We squatted the bleachers inside Cameron for an upcoming game. We'd sit in Cameron, studying, taking shifts saving seats on the bleachers.

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They had created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

Those were the days - Willie Hodge, Tate Armstrong, the Crow-man, Spanarkel, Denard, Bender, and the G-man and Gene Banks!!!

Could never duplicate the atmosphere of Cameron in the 70s - it was just special!!! And crazy!!!
    It seems that every generation of Duke students sees themselves as the beginning of the Cameron Crazies. BBC (Before Becoming Cameron Indoor Stadium), Duke students were innovative and clever in their treatment of visitors. I used to think that this special spirit started with my generation (W '67).... Mullins, Lewis, Reidy, Verga, Vacendack and more. There was a Kappa Sig named Doug Hinds who brought a rubber chicken to the games and used it as he addressed officials whose calls he deemed inadequate or inappropriate. There were others who dressed in the striped shirt of the officials and rated the calls on a 1-10 point system, just like Olympic events. Then there was the matter of how we greeted visiting players as they were introduced. When the lights were cut down for the introductions, there was a heavy, ethereal haze caused by the smoking in the arena. As each guy was introduced in the spotlight, we'd welcome him him with, "Who's he?" This greeting was stopped eventually when one of the Duke authority figures (don't remember which one) spoke before a game and explained that it just wasn't the "Duke way" to greet in such an unfriendly fashion. As for getting good seats, you had to get there early. For the first year or so I got there prior to the freshman game. Following their own game, the freshman team sat immediately behind the varsity during the varsity game. I sat behind the freshman team. Another season I chose the front row of the end zone where the teams exited... same end zone where the male Carolina cheerleader created an incident at halftime by "whacking the butts" of his own team, then without thinking whacked Art Heyman as he ran by to the dressing room. Eventually I ended up sitting with the KA's who, like most fraternities, sent someone early to stake out their chosen area.

A few days ago I bought Al Featherston's recent book The Game of My Life. I now stand corrected. During Frank McGuire's rein at Carolina, Duke students would mimic McGuire's attire and behavior... wearing suits and ties... adjusting, pulling at the ties and cuff links, just as ole Frank did. Perhaps someone who was there when Dick Groat played can tell what the students did then.

and I'm here now...

although apparently there was grace given today cuz my friend and I are the only ones here...

haha yeah, its NEW YEARS DAY! go out and celebrate! I should be back up in Durham either tomorrow or Thursday so just wait for the random bull horn noises

Well, I hope all you tenters have fun. I am sure everyone will get their studying done. Y'all stay warm.

Sounds so familiar

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is really funny to me (not laughing at you particularly, Blazin), because my group made the same exact same complaint, comparing 1995 (rocking) and 1998 (dead and lame). And Bill Werber served the beer.
    And when I arrived on campus in 1988, the seniors lamented how Duke was completely boring compared to when they got there-- "Man you should have seen it when we had kegs on the quad. Duke has gotten so lame, and I could never get in now."

Proves you don't have to be old to yearn for the good old days. At least we'll be able to use "aught/ought" when we tell our grandchildren our bad weather stories:

Grizzled Devil (thumbs in suspenders on the porch) "let me tell you chillun about the blizzard of aught-8"
    Grandkids: "not again grampa!"

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Amen. I remember my freshman year (00-01) just having to get off the bus and look down the quad and know where the parties were. Sophomore year in Mirecourt, the weekends we had were amazing, especially when we threw parties

The quad-based system has forever changed the Duke social scene.
    Seriously, what is the quad based system

Class of '86 (... just missed the last year you could get beer on points in the CI - and the football players had unlimited food points, so...)
    The Gordog

Realigned...????

Forgive me...I am an ancient Dukie... What does "realigned" mean? (simple terms please...)