Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K'ville is open

K'ville is open

Just saw on WRAL that the first squatters are camping out in K'ville for the carolina game, which is on March 8th. My hat is off to them. They're gonna need it when the 80 degree weather departs next week.

Personally, I think they're NUTS!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

indeed they are... I just hope the administration doesn't step in seeing as how finals haven't yet begun.
    There is really no point in getting out there THIS early. I fear that this is going to set a precedent for later years where people are just going to be out there starting in November, when our fall season hasn't even finished yet.

When I went to Duke in the mid-70s, there was no such thing as camping outside for a game. We squatted the bleachers inside Cameron for an upcoming game. We'd sit in Cameron, studying, taking shifts saving seats on the bleachers.

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

Those were the days - Willie Hodge, Tate Armstrong, the Crow-man, Spanarkel, Denard, Bender, and the G-man and Gene Banks!!!

Could never duplicate the atmosphere of Cameron in the 70s - it was just special!!! And crazy!!!
    Last edited by Slant; 12-10-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Just saw on WRAL that the first squatters are camping out in K'ville for the carolina game, which is on March 8th. My hat is off to them. They're gonna need it when the 80 degree weather departs next week.

they can line up for a tent spot, but they can't "camp out" until 1/7/08

OOPS, wrong one

much better

I wouldn't be worried about this "establish a precedent" or anything. The date of the first tenters - like Cameron attendance - can be tied pretty closely every year to the level of excitement for that year's team. I don't think tenters were out nearly this early last year.

When I was HLM, Tent 1 set up on December 26th. This is just continuing the trend of people seeing the date that the previous year's Tent 1 set up shop and attempt to trump that.

Still remember the conversation I had that day...

"Merry Christmas, Donald. Just wanted to let you know that Tent 1 has officially set up shop"
    "Merry Christmas...I'm not coming back till January 7th. You're on your own till then."
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

What's the other tenting game year? From what I understand there are 2 per year and Carolina is always one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    What's the other tenting game year? From what I understand there are 2 per year and Carolina is always one of them.
    Maryland on Feb 13 is the other tenting game. There are not ALWAYS 2 tenting games per year. Was it last year that Carolina was the only one? I can't believe I have forgotten. I think so, though.

What a terrible idea.

Tenting et al

The other tenting game this year is Maryland on Jan 27th. And you're correct that people didn't line up this early last year. There was one group that started right after finals and was there for the whole break, another that got there the day after christmas. The rest of the groups arrived a week or so before classes started or later. Last year I got in the friday before classes and was 14th in line, I could have gotten there on the wednesday and been 4th.
    This year I'm planning on getting there on the wednesday, and I'm just hoping to be top 10...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    What a terrible idea.
    Agreed! The only time we ever camped out in Decemeber was for a game played in December.

I prefer my sophomore year non-tenting experience. I was woken up one weekend morning by a tap at my window on central campus. It was a soon-to-be fraternity brother with Carolina tickets in hand, asking if it wasn't too early for me to hop in his car and take a ride to Cameron.

My second carolina game at Cameron-- unfortunately we lost both.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    The other tenting game this year is Maryland on Jan 27th. And you're correct that people didn't line up this early last year. There was one group that started right after finals and was there for the whole break, another that got there the day after christmas. The rest of the groups arrived a week or so before classes started or later. Last year I got in the friday before classes and was 14th in line, I could have gotten there on the wednesday and been 4th.
    This year I'm planning on getting there on the wednesday, and I'm just hoping to be top 10...
    Jan 27th is the game AT maryland. The home game vs. maryland is feb 13.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

They're not nuts. They're crazy. LOL I love the enthusiasm, as nuts/crazy as it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    When I went to Duke in the mid-70s, there was no such thing as camping outside for a game. We squatted the bleachers inside Cameron for an upcoming game. We'd sit in Cameron, studying, taking shifts saving seats on the bleachers.

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

Those were the days - Willie Hodge, Tate Armstrong, the Crow-man, Spanarkel, Denard, Bender, and the G-man and Gene Banks!!!

Could never duplicate the atmosphere of Cameron in the 70s - it was just special!!! And crazy!!!
    were there kegs on the quad back then too?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    What a terrible idea.
    I agree. My tent captain wanted us to follow them and get out there this week, and I said no way can I do that. People, it is FINALS WEEK. There's Cameron Crazy, and then there's Cameron Stupid. This is the latter.

OK, back to studying . . . sigh . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

Who served the beer?

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    I agree. My tent captain wanted us to follow them and get out there this week, and I said no way can I do that. People, it is FINALS WEEK. There's Cameron Crazy, and then there's Cameron Stupid. This is the latter.
    Yeah... whenever Kville eventually gets banned or massively readministered, it's going to be because of things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Who served the beer?
    Uncle Terry

Guess I'm flying high on this beer (Bud Light, Please!) post
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Our group started tenting Friday and are Tent 2. We were shocked that another tent came out the day before... The ridiculously warm weather forecasted for this week was definitely a consideration for coming out this early. If it were cold out or raining we'd be inside studying for our finals.

With that being said, my tent captain is one of the most conscientious students I have ever met, and we are taking our academics and finals very seriously. It's actually been better for me personally, getting me out of bed at 7:30 rather than noon, which is my norm in finals weeks past.

The rules are simply two people from 8 to 5 each day until real tenting starts in January...

I am looking forward to my final game as a student in Cameron being a victory over Carolina!

Please stop by and say hello!