the new ESPN power 16

Duke drops 1 to No.5.
    UCLA free falls to No.7

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerr...on=2008&week=5

Don't look now but Mr. Gottlieb has finally given the Devils their due coming in on his list at number 3.

No change

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Don't look now but Mr. Gottlieb has finally given the Devils their due coming in on his list at number 3.
    Actually Gottlieb had us as three last week too.

I understand Texas passing us, but don't really get why Kansas did.

Kudos to Fraschilla and Goettleib recognizing that while we may not be a better team than UNC, we certainly have played better than them. Poll inertia keeps them at the top though.

Also of note: "^$%^$%^$%^$%ie" V has us at 7, tied with Schlabach for our lowest ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post

Also of note: "^$%^$%^$%^$%ie" V has us at 7, tied with Schlabach for our lowest ranking.
    Why does Vitale hate Duke?

That was 'Dukie' V, but spelling it in a certain way is banned. Didn't notice it until it was too late to edit.

And of course, Vitale does not hate Duke, but the notion he is a Duke homer doesn't hold up under scrutiny. He used to talk about us a lot, because for a while we were just that good. He's picked UNC #1 3 of the last 4 years (not unreasonable, but certainly not the national consensus either), but you will never hear anyone say he's shows favoritism towards UNC.

I understand Texas passing us, but don't really get why Kansas did.

Kudos to Fraschilla and Goettleib recognizing that while we may not be a better team than UNC, we certainly have played better than them. Poll inertia keeps them at the top though.

I didn't realize why Kansas jumped us either until I realized that their game with USC last Sunday was actually in Los Angeles. They might not be ranked, but USC is a very good team.

That was 'Dukie' V, but spelling it in a certain way is banned. Didn't notice it until it was too late to edit.

And of course, Vitale does not hate Duke, but the notion he is a Duke homer doesn't hold up under scrutiny. He used to talk about us a lot, because for a while we were just that good. He's picked UNC #1 3 of the last 4 years (not unreasonable, but certainly not the national consensus either), but you will never hear anyone say he's shows favoritism towards UNC.
    Less than 2 minutes into the Kentucky-UNC game, Vitale was already talking about Duke. I am sure both fanbases were seething. I think the thing with Vitale is that he is always talking about teams that aren't on the court in front of him, and Duke is one of his favorite topics.