Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entitlement

Entitlement

We've all discussed how it's perceived Duke grads have a sense of entitlement due to going to an expensive private to academic institution. And it's been discussed Duke fans have been spoiled by the success Duke has had in mens basketball over the last twenty years. Fans from other school perceive that we think we are entitled to win X number of games per year and get to watch every game on television. So instead of fighting the perception I've devised a points system to allow you to figure out how entitled you truly are.

1. If you're a Duke fan give yourself 50 points. If you only pull for Duke in men's basketball or God forbid pull for another school in another sport (provided Duke also fields that sport) subtract 20 points.
    2. If you attended Duke and got a degree give yourself 50 points. If you also went to UNC to go to grad school for example subtract 20 points and get some therapy.
    3. If you are a second (or third, or fourth etc.) generation Duke fan give yourself 10 points. If you can trace your family tree to the Duke family, Coach K or Wallace Wade give yourself 100 points.
    4. If you have been a Duke fan since before you were 12 give yourself 10 points. If you became a Duke fan to get back at your UNC fan parents give yourself 100 points.
    5. If you have attended a game at Cameron give yourself 10 points, Wallace Wade 10 points, a Duke football or basketball game at a neutral site 10 points, at an opposing teams home court / field give yourself 20 points and if you have seen Duke compete in person in any sport OTHER than mens football / basketball give yourself 20 points.
    6. If you own more than five Duke tee shirts, hats, bobble heads, Duke cheerleaders uniforms (women only please!), floor mats, Christmas ornaments etc. give yourself 10 points. If you have a Duke tattoo somewhere on your body (don't tell us where!) give yourself 100 points.
    7. If your car is properly labeled with some type of Duke sticker to allow all motorists to know an entitled person is on board give yourself 10 points.
    8. If you are married to a fellow Duke fan give yourself 50 points, if you are married to a Maryland or UNC fan subtract 20 points and file for divorce.
    9. If you were a former athlete at Duke in any sport give yourself 50 points, if you are / were a Duke cheerleader give yourself 100 points and call me at 555-2007.
    10. If you have been in a verbal / physical altercation over Duke with an opposing fan give yourself 20 points. If you actually went to jail subtract 10 points, but if the judge gave you the maximum sentence because he was a UNC fan give yourself 100 points.
    11. If you have met an attractive person but couldn't bring yourself to lower your morals because they were a UNC fan, give yourself 50 points. If you went ahead but didn't call them back, gave them a fake number or told them "it's not me it's YOU" give yourself 10 points.
    12. If you have posted on line about Duke sports in the last month on any web site give yourself 10 points. If you have posted more than ten times give yourself 50 points. If you have posted more than 100 times subtract 20 points and get a job.
    13. If you are moderator or co-moderator of a pro Duke website give yourself 20 points, if you have received a ban or censorship from a pro Duke website because you crossed a line give yourself an extra 10 points.
    14. If you live in the state of North Carolina or grew up there give yourself 10 points, if you now reside outside the state but have a special cable / satellite package to let you see every Duke game give yourself 50 points.
    15. If have attended a service or performed in Duke Chapel give yourself 50 points. If you plan to have your ashes sprinkled over Cameron by plane when you die give yourself 100 points.
    16. If you are an Iron Duke give yourself 50 points. If you have had to walk two miles to see a game because the Iron Dukes get all the good parking give yourself 100 points.
    17. If you argue with the referees on television when they make a bad call against Duke give yourself 20 points. If you actually think it does any good or that your lucky sweat shirt does any good give yourself any number of points you choose.
    18. If you are a parent raising your offspring to be Duke fans give yourself 50 points. If you have put a child up for adoption because they wouldn't comply give yourself 100 points.

Duke '05

Fun thread!

Total: 291. I am pretty damn entitled. (Naturally, as I'm a Duke grad.)

(Breakdown: #1=50, #2=50, #5=70, #6=10, #7=10, #10=20, #12=10, #15=50, #17=21)

White-hooded sweatshirt

410+???.

What to do with the lucky Duke hooded sweatshirt?

(#1=50, #2=50, #5=50, #6=10, #7=10, #8=50, #10=20, #12=50, #15=50, #17=20+666?, #18=50).

Duike fails if their grads haven't been given the proper

education to feel a sense of entitlement. At Duke you SHOULD get what you pay for or go to some less expensive state school like say G forbid, unc. Hope Dick Broadhead brings us back to the national rank of #4 we had when he arrived on the job

280 for me.

I really prospered on the multi sports question. Heck, except for the neutral court, these are all this year.

If you have attended a game at Cameron: Multiple
    Wallace Wade 10 points, Multiple...sadly
    a Duke football or basketball game at a neutral site 10 points, Every year at MSG
    at an opposing teams home court / field Notre Dame
    and if you have seen Duke compete in person in any sport OTHER than mens football / basketball give yourself 20 points. Women's Soccer, Men's Soccer

400. Hmmm. Can I cash in some of these points and apply them to other, long-neglected areas of my life?

450 points.

It would have been higher but I had the tattoo removed - it was soooo cool, but then Springbreak ended!

666 - if I did that right. If that's not a Devil, I don't know what is...

1-50, 2-50, 3-110 (assuming a cousin being University Emeritus counts), 4-10,
    5-70 (Dean Dome, Hall of Fame Bowl, Women's Bball, Soccer), 6-10, 7-10, 8-50, 9-0, 10-20, 11-50, 12-50, 13-0, 14-10, 15-50, 16-50, 17-26 (just to make it work out), 18-50,
    "There can BE only one."

Do I get any points for competing in intercollegiate sports in Wally Wade and on the Duke baseball field? Okay, technically I was attending Davidson College at the time, but I did later play six years of intramural softball at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Do I get any points for competing in intercollegiate sports in Wally Wade and on the Duke baseball field? Okay, technically I was attending Davidson College at the time, but I did later play six years of intramural softball at Duke.
    My, you were a very slow student, weren't you?

The largest chunk came from question #3.

3. If you are a second (or third, or fourth etc.) generation Duke fan give yourself 10 points. If you can trace your family tree to the Duke family, Coach K or Wallace Wade give yourself 100 points.

Does this count?
    I gave myself the 100 points because my family owned the Rigsbee farm that Duke purchased to place West Campus on.

Great Thread!

Extra credit

If you've scored in Wallace Wade or Cameron, give yourself 100 points.

Without counting this extra credit question, but counting my lucky hat and sweatshirt for 50 points, I got a 450 (and I'm married to a heel and got my law degree from UNC Law).

I counted playing 4 years of Club Football for Duke as being a Duke athlete. Also, I was on our Big Four intramural bowling team for three years, winning the title twice! It was so much fun to beat the favored carolina team.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

540. Although my daughter is threatening to make Tennessee her No. 1 women's basketball team. If she does, you can deduct 100 points. The apostasy!

Clarification Please

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

Without counting this extra credit question, but counting my lucky hat and sweatshirt for 50 points, I got a 450 (and I'm married to a heel and got my law degree from UNC Law).
    Please define "scored."

490 with prospects up to 600. Silver spoon to platinum baby!

I would propose the following additions:
    If you randomly break out into Duke chants and cheers or better yet, the Rock Lobster, give yourself 50 points. If you do these things naked, subtract 100 points because that's disturbing.

If you have hurt UNC in some tangible way, be it intentionally defacing property or belittling their fans, give yourself 10 points. If you have pictorial and/or video proof of this event, give yourself 50 points. If you are willing to share it with the DBR community, give yourself 100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

I did take basketball as a PE class at Duke, and during the fencing tournament we had to have class in Cameron. Pete Gaudet was the instructor. Promised a T-Shirt for anyone who hit a "3". I did. He smiled and said, "Your foot was on the line."
    "There can BE only one."

1 50; 2 50; 3 10; 4 10; 5 10, 10, 10, 20, 20; 6 10; 7 10; 8 50; 9 50; 10 20; 11 zip; 12 50; 13 20; 14 10 (we're Duke; we're entitled to all our games on espn); 15 50; 16 100; 17 20 (my wife wears the lucky socks); 18 50

Do we get bonus points for each opposing or neutral arena we've seen games in? How 'bout for getting thrown out of Cole?

-jk

#1 - 50
    #2 - 50
    #5 - 10+10+20+20 = 60 (I, like loran16, have also attended multiple of each)
    #6 - 10
    #7 - 10
    #10 - 20
    #11 - 50
    #12 - 50
    #14 - 50
    #15 - 50
    #16 - 50
    #17 - 20+50 (wearing a headband always does the trick)

Total = 520...not bad not bad
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

1000 points

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

1 50; 2 50; 3 10; 4 10; 5 10, 10, 10, 20, 20; 6 10; 7 10; 8 50; 9 50; 10 20; 11 zip; 12 50; 13 20; 14 10 (we're Duke; we're entitled to all our games on espn); 15 50; 16 100; 17 20 (my wife wears the lucky socks); 18 50

Do we get bonus points for each opposing or neutral arena we've seen games in? How 'bout for getting thrown out of Cole?

-jk
    In my book if you have been thrown out of an opposing schools stadium or basketball arena it's 1000 points, and congrats on impressing me at least. If it was Cole Field House, MCI Center, Carmichael or the Dean Dome add an extra 500 points. (I saw a brawl at Lawrence Joel JJ's junior year between a group of Duke and Wake fans. My brother wants to take me to the Maryland game up there this year, but after seeing that brawl I'm not so sure I want to go!)