Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Heck yeah. It's going to be a blast getting to root for this young man this year.
    But then what will we look down on other teams for?

/s

Sorta.

Big get - will help with energy/toughness a lot.

I am fully expecting a team that will HATE to lose and will know that in order to win they all have to hustle and do the little things. Many times this year it seemed like the team was sleepwalking with nobody there to say "Wake Up!" - Gillis is older, with a tough attitude, I'm expecting more energy and more of a "absolutely destroy this other team" mindset. Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Mrezt View Post
    Big get - will help with energy/toughness a lot.

I am fully expecting a team that will HATE to lose and will know that in order to win they all have to hustle and do the little things. Many times this year it seemed like the team was sleepwalking with nobody there to say "Wake Up!" - Gillis is older, with a tough attitude, I'm expecting more energy and more of a "absolutely destroy this other team" mindset. Hopefully
    Something else too. I think Gillis will set an incredible example for Evans, K2, Harris on what it takes to train, compete, win. A little tough love and encouragement from a guy 6 years older who just played in the national championship game can go a long way to developing those guys. Want to see the floor? Better learn to play D like Uncle Mason.

Glad to have you Mason! We so need a veteran, tough and experienced player like you. I think Mason will definately be one of our leaders on court and off! What a great fit!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    November 24, 2000.

Google FTW
    About five months younger than Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    About five months younger than Zion.
    Zionís fifth season at Duke would have been a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    And I think next season at Duke will be a lot of fun. Welcome, Mr. Gillis!

Saw this video on youtube about Mason Gillis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AFGouyaxKM

It was made three years ago, covers his journey from a major knee injury as a junior in HS leading to him missing all of his senior year, and needing to redshirt his freshmen year at Purdue. To batting his way to major minutes and even starting as a red-shirt freshmen. Interesting to watch, and love the fact we're going to have high motor older guy to help guide the young guns on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That 2022-23 team with 5th year Zion, RJ, and Tre alongside Paolo and the 3 headed monster in the middle of Mark Williams, Derek Lively, and Vernon Carey... whew, that was a fun club to watch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Saw this video on youtube about Mason Gillis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AFGouyaxKM

It was made three years ago, covers his journey from a major knee injury as a junior in HS leading to him missing all of his senior year, and needing to redshirt his freshmen year at Purdue. To batting his way to major minutes and even starting as a red-shirt freshmen. Interesting to watch, and love the fact we're going to have high motor older guy to help guide the young guns on this team.
    Kinda like he will be a "Ryan Young 2.0". He'll provide much guidance to the young guns. He appears to be well-grounded, and will come in knowing his role. Great get.

A must listen:

Purdue Basketball Podcast, episode 97.*

It’s a 57 minute interview with Mason Gillis from March 13. It’s a retrospective of his career as well as his life growing up in New Castle, Indiana, a hotbed of basketball. Though he was apparently a little better at baseball than basketball (his trainer told him early on that he’d be drafted in baseball—that trainer is now the head scout for the White Sox). He’d also been asked to play football (a latter-day Travis Kelce, though I don’t think that role came with a girlfriend). But he loved basketball more, wanted to get up early to practice in a gym.

Anyway, he sounds direct and thoughtful. He’s overcome injuries and adversity. He’s done tough rehab without promise of later glory. Both his parents and his sister were college athletes, so he knows his way around recruitment. He sounds like a young man who will thrive at Duke, on the court, in the classroom, and around campus.

At the very least, this solid podcast gets us away from getting mesmerized by shiny pennies that come and go; this guy is a dude.

*i didn’t find this podcast mentioned earlier in this thread, but I do recall somebody mentioning he’d stated that he’d grown up a Duke fan. It’s here.If it’s a repeat, I’d say listen to it again rather than read more about Scheyer’s recruiting philosophy and whether basketball is going down the tubes…
    Last edited by johnb; 04-25-2024 at 01:34 PM.

I hadn't considered this, but Mason Gillis with be the first (and hopefully only) answer to the trivia question "Only Duke player to lose to a sixteen seed."

Here's hoping he goes out with a ring.

Great Kid

Video of what Gillis went through to be able to play basketball in the Big 10. What a wonderful young man!