Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Another perfect fit for the roster. Great job by Jon Scheyer and our coaches to identify the team's needs and go get the best guys to fill those spots. Really cannot express how excited I am for adding Brown and Gillis to the program. Let's go!!!

I don't think Gillis is a guard. He never handled the ball for Purdue, pretty much exclusively a small forward for them over his 4 years. I think it will be K2 as the 3rd guard, if we don't end up getting a guard transfer. I see Evans as more of a pure scorer, while K2 has very good passing/playmaking instincts as well as the ability to create a shot for himself. He won't be blowing by anyone, but he never relied on that in high school either. He has a good post game, and scores/passes well out of the post, too.

I think Gillis probably starts for Duke at SF. Proctor, Foster, Gillis, Flagg, and then either Maluach or Brown at center.
    I agree. He is gonna play the 4 on defense and rotate with Flagg at the 3/4 on offense. He isn't playing guard for us. That is why we are going after the BYU guy. Knueppel is gonna be the 3rd guard I think because he can do both.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Another perfect fit for the roster. Great job by Jon Scheyer and our coaches to identify the team's needs and go get the best guys to fill those spots. Really cannot express how excited I am for adding Brown and Gillis to the program. Let's go!!!

I don't think Gillis is a guard. He never handled the ball for Purdue, pretty much exclusively a small forward for them over his 4 years. I think it will be K2 as the 3rd guard, if we don't end up getting a guard transfer. I see Evans as more of a pure scorer, while K2 has very good passing/playmaking instincts as well as the ability to create a shot for himself. He won't be blowing by anyone, but he never relied on that in high school either. He has a good post game, and scores/passes well out of the post, too.

I think Gillis probably starts for Duke at SF. Proctor, Foster, Gillis, Flagg, and then either Maluach or Brown at center.
    Gillis at SF is what I was implying, which is exactly why it helps so much with our guard depth as I do believe Evans can spend time at guard when Evans himself is not at SF. As I've stated in another thread, I'm not convinced that Kon is going to be a part of the regular rotation in his first year.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Gillis at SF is what I was implying, which is exactly why it helps so much with our guard depth as I do believe Evans can spend time at guard when Evans himself is not at SF. As I've stated in another thread, I'm not convinced that Kon is going to be a part of the regular rotation in his first year.
    Perfectly reasonable take. I disagree, but I can see why anyone would be skeptical. I think Kon is really, really good, and that his size and IQ will make up for any perceived lack of athleticism (although those 2 dunks in the game showed he might be underrated there, too). I hope I'm right.

I love it when a plan comes together! This team is going to be so much better suited to win than last season’s Blue Devils.

Experienced and Tough

Gillis seems to be mature enough and confident in who he is to fret over not being on the court all the time.
    I have felt all along that K2 is one of our most important '24 recruits, but also believe he is not a "head" case.
    the two (and Harris) will co-exist fine. Go Duke!

Mason Gillis senior year highlights at Purdue

https://youtu.be/SCVkuXauzTc

This guy might lead the team in "doing the little things" to help his team win. He's the ultimate glue guy. He will go a long way towards replacing Ryan Young's leadership role.

Lance Thomas with a jump shot?

Awesome pick up n nice adding some age/experience with all the young freshman coming. Love this addition to our team.

The pieces are are starting to come together.Were getting experienced players I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops ----------------
    This is so huge. I really love this addition. And this significantly assuages concerns regarding our guard depth. This provides opportunity for Evans to fill in at guard and spell either Foster or Proctor when they are out. And it does so while leaning on a quality defender who can shoot in Gillis.
    ------------------

------------------------------------------------

excited to get Gillis. that said, I agree he's not a guard ... I mean for FOUR years he played forward and wasn't a ball handler. We have the same guards we always did - two I love in Proctor and Foster but I would like to see another true GUARD who can shoot. Otherwise we have Evans or K2 or someone who are generally listed as more a 3 SF than a 2.

I think it's all set if we get a 1/2 guard who is a STRONG backup as the 2 guards need 80 minutes and will leave 15-20 minutes of guard duty available.

hoping our current guys see that Gillis is just a one year guy so there is a lot of PT left in 25-26. Also Flagg and Malauch probably gone after this year + others (one of the guards)? so TONS of PT available in 25-26.. as in 140 minutes or so are available - just stick it out ONE year and prove yourself and you have a starting spot as a sophomore

Kudos to the staff! I liked Brown coming in. Though he has other skills, he fits a particular role very well - defense. But I love Gillis coming in. Widespread skills and intangibles across the board. He does all the little things. And he has such great form on his jumper. Perhaps a Battier-lite would be my vague comparison.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Mason is 23 years old according to one website, he has Final Four experience, can shoot threes, starts or comes off the bench, and appears to be an outstanding glue guy.

We’re delighted that you’re here. There were a few guys on the ledge last week, but I think that they have come back inside.

I echo all the enthusiasm and affirmations previously expressed. I, too, am in the camp of rooting for the addition of an experienced guard like the BYU player….and then we can all head for the beach. In the timeframe of about a month, the Duke team is 85% different. This portal thing has forever changed the nature and to a significant degree, the intention, of college basketball. If this is a foreshadowing of Coach Scheyer’s quickly learned prowess in portal recruiting to match high school recruiting, the Duke bball legacy is in good hands.

Now go get one more combo guard who can shoot the rock and call it an off season. I really like the Freshmen class well beyond Flagg.

If Gillis starts next to Flagg, that will satisfy both sides of the debate: those who see Flagg as a 4 will say Gillis plays the 3, and those who see Flagg as a 3 will say Gillis plays the 4.

Positional Versatility

The positional versatility on this roster as currently constructed is pretty remarkable. I don't disagree that we could use one more ballhandler/defender as an insurance policy behind Foster and Proctor (your mileage may vary on how much K2 or Evans or Harris could contribute as a ballhandler/guard defender off the bench when all three of those guys are really wing players).

But as defenders, you could realistically play Brown at the 4-5, Gillis at the 3-4, Flagg at the 2-4, Maluach at the 5, and Foster/Proctor obviously able to guard 1-2 in any combination. And every single one of those guys can shoot the three. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    Great link—he is quite the solid, smart speaker.

Our 2 transfers don’t just have experience, but they are 3 star guys who will presumably appreciate the Duke experience in a slightly different way than guys who have been top 20 players since they hit puberty.

Gillis is not just a senior but a grad student who redshirted. He’s been part of great teams that did well in the tournament, and one that was embarrassed. He’s had great coaching (everybody seems to love Painter) and accustomed to complex sets that are designed to maximize the team’s best player.

I wish all of our departing guys well, but it’s important to have guys who we know can perform at this level AND who are probably thrilled to play for Duke.

Shot 86.0% from the FT line this past season. Good attribute.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s/_/id/4431753

Shot selection

Like Brown, Gillis doesn't take many long twos (21 last season).

Differently than Brown, he mostly takes threes (about 75% of his shots last year).

Seems like a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    Impressive!