Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DBR opinion pieces

Caveat to start this that I love the deep insight and perspective from the writers on DBR staff. Best in the business and long time reader and board poster.

That said recently at end and post season there have been a lot of articles telling Duke fans how they should or shouldn’t feel towards events that have transpired. Most recently we shouldn’t feel angry because Roach decides to enter the transfer portal and switch schools. Why can’t we feel how we want? Why “should” we feel happy, proud, confused etc but mad is not allowed?

I just feel like DBR has been extra judgy on how fans should feel this year and we are constantly being lectured. Have your own opinion, express it but stop telling fans how they should feel. It’s annoying.

My two cents

My shrink agrees with you. People feel what they feel.

Co-sign but I guess they are opinion pieces for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    My shrink agrees with you. People feel what they feel.
    Mine uses the word "gigantifying" a lot and that is what is happening here (love that word). A few people post somewhat iffy takes on a situation. People respond rather than just ignoring it and it ends up starting to dominate the conversation. Then someone clutches their pearls and says "everyone is saying this and it is horrible" when just a few people were saying it. Then someone posts a deep, ridiculously lengthy thought piece telling us what to do (remember - "brevity is the soul of wit"). I generally tend to agree with the thought piece, but it really tends to be overkill and is definitely overly preachy.

Note that a lot of people involved in this process are people I like and respect a lot.

I feel like this flow chart of events is getting so common that it should be 26D or 17R or whatever else in the list of DBR common events.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Remember - "brevity is the soul of wit"
    You've read his posts I see.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post

I just feel like DBR has been extra judgy on how fans should feel this year and we are constantly being lectured. Have your own opinion, express it but stop telling fans how they should feel. It’s annoying.

My two cents
    I endeavor to not tell others how to feel. But I will confess to being confused by what I see as hypocrisy among some users. And what I see as instant analysis panic behavior among others.

People on this board are so eager to declare doom and gloom over a solitary (game, injury, declaration) and I don't intend to "judge" anyone for that decision, but it strikes me as a very miserable way to watch basketball.

I will say that it is very frustrating for me to see so many users who are understandably wanting us to find players who will stay for four years - and these same users are upset that Roach has done exactly this and makes a decision to head somewhere else for his fifth.

That just seems like being unappreciative towards a young man who has given Duke absolutely everything that fans have any right to expect.

I'm not going to say that people are "wrong" to feel that way, but I certainly reserve my right to offer my objection.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Considering that this is (not to subtly, haha) directed towards me, based on the piece I wrote this morning, let me say a few things.

1) I hate fan gatekeeping. HATE it. If anything I've ever written contributes to that it couldn't be farther from my intention. That's something I can be more conscious of, and I will certainly do so.

2) With the above said, there's a distinction between a post on the message board and an "article" that may be contributing to this. When I write an opinion piece for the front page, it certainly has a different tone than something I'd write here. There's a different style, a different voice. Part of being a good sports writer, I was taught, is actually having a style/voice/perspective that is unique enough to make the writing distinctly yours. Maybe that contributes to some extra rhetorical flourishes that could be interpreted in some ways I didn't intend. That's something I can, will, and do work on minimizing, but it probably won't ever go away completely... otherwise my writing wouldn't be of any value

3) With regards specifically to my article today about Jeremy, the idea was that there's a certain segment of Duke fans (the kind that likes to shout loudly on Twitter/X) that were saying some not so great things about Jeremy and the decision. Those type of fans aren't represented much on DBR, but they exist, and they're more likely to read the front page than they are to venture onto the message board. The idea of the article was twofold: first, to "convince" those fans that maybe, just maybe, they were overreacting a bit by feeling personally betrayed by Jeremy or wanting to excommunicate him from The Brotherhood; second, to indicate that those type of fans don't represent the vast majority of Duke fans. I stand by my word choices... Duke fans have every right to feel frustrated by Jeremy's decision, but those feelings transitioning into full blown anger would be hyperbolic. I bet that wouldn't be the type of fan you'd want to be associated with. That's the type of fan that hangs out on IC or helps run Jon Calipari out of Kentucky. I don't think that's most Duke fans, so writing something that conveys that is something that I think is important.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Considering that this is (not to subtly, haha) directed towards me, based on the piece I wrote this morning, let me say a few things.

1) I hate fan gatekeeping. HATE it. If anything I've ever written contributes to that it couldn't be farther from my intention. That's something I can be more conscious of, and I will certainly do so.

2) With the above said, there's a distinction between a post on the message board and an "article" that may be contributing to this. When I write an opinion piece for the front page, it certainly has a different tone than something I'd write here. There's a different style, a different voice. Part of being a good sports writer, I was taught, is actually having a style/voice/perspective that is unique enough to make the writing distinctly yours. Maybe that contributes to some extra rhetorical flourishes that could be interpreted in some ways I didn't intend. That's something I can, will, and do work on minimizing, but it probably won't ever go away completely... otherwise my writing wouldn't be of any value

3) With regards specifically to my article today about Jeremy, the idea was that there's a certain segment of Duke fans (the kind that likes to shout loudly on Twitter/X) that were saying some not so great things about Jeremy and the decision. Those type of fans aren't represented much on DBR, but they exist, and they're more likely to read the front page than they are to venture onto the message board. The idea of the article was twofold: first, to "convince" those fans that maybe, just maybe, they were overreacting a bit by feeling personally betrayed by Jeremy or wanting to excommunicate him from The Brotherhood; second, to indicate that those type of fans don't represent the vast majority of Duke fans. I stand by my word choices... Duke fans have every right to feel frustrated by Jeremy's decision, but those feelings transitioning into full blown anger would be hyperbolic. I bet that wouldn't be the type of fan you'd want to be associated with. That's the type of fan that hangs out on IC or helps run Jon Calipari out of Kentucky. I don't think that's most Duke fans, so writing something that conveys that is something that I think is important.
    I appreciate your note here and I now have a better understand of the nuance you are trying to make. I personally can’t distinguish between anger and frustration as emotions as are relatively dense and lack emotional intelligence (queue my wife…!)

So thanks for the response back and appreciate the quick reader like me probably feels frustrated/annoyed not really angry

I'm not so sure its ALL gatekeeping..

Folks can like a player or hate a player (or coach). You can have your opinions (or onions) and reasons for or against. And nobody can stop you or change your mind. Fine.
    In my experience with this site, its a largely Pro Duke production. A hype/excitement vehicle. It can be critical at times and when it does so, is measured and specific.

This site is established and has a pretty far reach.
    I wouldn't be surprised if former players, recruits, their parents, agents cruise by, or opposing coaches get fed useful bits from our board for negative recruiting or NIL poaching from time to time.
    I for one, don't go all "chicken little" at every little thing I cant control. I'm not going to be the sourpuss fan that we needle other programs about having.

I don't view the tone setting as an infringement on the 1st amendment but rather a strong encouragement to post responsibly.
    Last edited by wilko; 04-18-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Folks can like a player or hate a player (or coach). You can have your onions and reasons for or against.
    Bill Raftery? Is that you?

I know it was merely a typo in a thoughtful post, but it still made me giggle.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming..

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Bill Raftery? Is that you?

I know it was merely a typo in a thoughtful post, but it still made me giggle.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming..
    DoH! you got me...

While I still enjoy it, I will say DBR has become a little less neighborly.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    While I still enjoy it, I will say DBR has become a little less neighborly.
    Howdie Neighbor!

While I generally agree with the front page article and its major points, there is this:

Any Duke alumnus will tell you that after a four year degree it is often just time to move on
    My understanding that Jeremy has not graduated. If he has, and his next step is to pursue a graduate degree, then I completely agree he should go elsewhere for academic reasons.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    While I generally agree with the front page article and its major points, there is this:

My understanding that Jeremy has not graduated. If he has, and his next step is to pursue a graduate degree, then I completely agree he should go elsewhere for academic reasons.
    To be clear, the point I was making there wasn't that Jeremy's motivation was based in academics. Rather, if you think about it in terms of Jeremy just got 4 years of "training" at Duke, he might very understandably want to use his extra year to expand his horizons and get a different style of training... just like my Duke advisors told me to pursue my graduate studies somewhere other than Duke to show the breadth of my training.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Patterns

The topic of this thread has been raised before. Perhaps that fact should cause everyone to pause for self reflection. Patterns, as opposed to singular events, are usually indicative of the need for closer inspection. When I started a similar thread a while back, I received a number of private messages in support of having raised this issue in addition to the concerns expressed by some of us in the thread. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I feel like this flow chart of events is getting so common that it should be 26D or 17R or whatever else in the list of DBR common events.

What's wild is I haven't updated that thing since like 2007 [and I don't even have time to write this post] and we just keep doing the same. The things that are topical about certain people look dated obviously, but structurally it's the same over and over and over and over again. Even some of the same "Koaching Koncerns" have ported from Krzyzewski to Scheyer.

Time is a flat circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Well, no one has yet. Graduation's not for a few weeks and everyone has to go through exams. But, the word is that should Roach decide to transfer somewhere, he will be doing so as a Duke graduate.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

If we’re talking opinion pieces, my opinion is that this site should change its name to be inclusive of the sport that moves the needle. This isn’t Russia, football is the sport that matters to America. I know I’m howling at the moon with this audience, but we all know I’m right (just don’t want to admit it)

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    If we’re talking opinion pieces, my opinion is that this site should change its name to be inclusive of the sport that moves the needle. This isn’t Russia, football is the sport that matters to America. I know I’m howling at the moon with this audience, but we all know I’m right (just don’t want to admit it)
    And/or do more than some occasional reporting on women's basketball.