Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I really hope to God I donít have to see Roach in a Kentucky uniform

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Adam Zagoria says Arkansas, Kentucky, and St Johnís are 3 favorites for Roach.

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!
    If he goes to Arkansas, then I think we know who we will be playing in the ACC/SEC Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Adam Zagoria says Arkansas, Kentucky, and St Johnís are 3 favorites for Roach.

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!
    Pulling for St. Johnís here!

Thank you, Captain Jeremy. It's been a joy seeing you play in Duke blue for four years and serve as captain for two. My stomach is already turning at the thought of you in any other college uniform, let alone possibly Kentucky blue or Arkansas red. Isn't it ironic that as we joyfully head into what could be a legendary year of Duke hoops we also have to face the utter grossness of facing our former senior captain playing for a rival? I'm all for college athletes getting paid, but I'm truly hating this wild west, totally unregulated era of professional college basketball, without even the opportunity to sign athletes to multi-year contracts.

He has to do what he has to do, but seeing him playing for Cal or for Kentucky would be a tough one for me.

Weird to see a Rupp Rafters thread called Jeremy Roach in the portal with almost twice as many posts as this one. (They lead 92-47 right now.) Also weird that it's mostly positive; don't worry, there are a few holdouts.

Not to be outdone by the inviting Kentucky crowd, Hunter Dickinson wants Roach at Kansas.

Thanks Jeremy. I think you should have come back to complete our 3 guard lineup, but I suppose you have your eye on the pros or alarmingly, other schools.

Hopefully coach Scheyer goes into the portal now and gets a legit 2 guard/wing like AJ Storr or similar. It would fit our team far better than having too many small guards.
    Last edited by Dukehk; 04-17-2024 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I don't think it's a question about Scheyer's coaching chops or Jeremy's happiness at Duke--I think it's about how Jeremy sees his future. He's in a spot that most of us would kill for, but he's also in a bind: he's seen a whole bunch of his friends come to Duke for a year or two and go to the NBA. He has played very hard for 4 years, worked very hard at school, and he now has this one chance... maybe he'll get paid more next year at a different school, or maybe he hopes that a different atmosphere or coaching style will get him evaluated more highly by the NBA. I was kinda hoping that he'd come back, have a great season, lead us to a NC, etc, but I don't begrudge him anything. Plus, most of us leave after 4 years; it's a natural transition time. My hunch is that the coaching staff knew about this decision 6 months ago and prepared for it.

Most importantly, I don't necessarily think he should do what would make me most happy.

As was once said in reference to a different court: if you are sent to heaven for following your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not following mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

Shoot, I'm outed.
    In this day and age it probably pays more to be a "free agent" and have teams bid on you for NIL + explore the draft/NBA contracts.

Duke was never going to pay him more than what he was earning currently, whereas teams like Kentucky, Arkansas and St Johns will likely "break the bank" for someone of his calibre.

I don't blame Jeremy as he may never make it to a decent contract in the NBA, so he has to earn his money now through NIL and then probably play in the G League or overseas.

I agree that it doesn't seem like a basketball decision to me. He would have gotten plenty of minutes if he came back. Even before foster went down he had some games where he played almost 40 minutes.

This decision seems to be based on getting the most financial benefits possible.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Weird to see a Rupp Rafters thread called Jeremy Roach in the portal with almost twice as many posts as this one. (They lead 92-47 right now.) Also weird that it's mostly positive; don't worry, there are a few holdouts.

Not to be outdone by the inviting Kentucky crowd, Hunter Dickinson wants Roach at Kansas.
    Dickinson still has eligibility!? 24 years old by the time the next season begins...

I guess nobody in the NBA wants him

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Pulling for St. Johnís here!
    As a St. Johnís prof (adjunct), so am I.

Jeremyís leaving for the $$money$$ÖÖ.follow the money$$$$$$$$

JMHOÖ..wish Jeremy all the very best

I guess itís good that players can get paid but Iím just not interested in watching a collection of rented players pretend like theyíre a team for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Jeremyís leaving for the $$money$$ÖÖ.follow the money$$$$$$$$

JMHOÖ..wish Jeremy all the very best
    ...sure.

Or, he wants a change of scenery. Or he has a GF he wants to follow. Or he wants to take classes somewhere else. Or he is tired of Durham. Or he wants some different coaching.

Think about all the various reasons you did things in your early 20s. Not all of them were money driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ...sure.

Or, he wants a change of scenery. Or he has a GF he wants to follow. Or he wants to take classes somewhere else. Or he is tired of Durham. Or he wants some different coaching.

Think about all the various reasons you did things in your early 20s. Not all of them were money driven.
    I donít think we have ever had a player of JRs quality or position (not PG, I mean like status and standing and tenure) leave until just now.

Given that the only difference between the last howevermany years and now is oodles and oodles of cash, I suspect it isnít a desire to take classes elsewhere or a girlfriend.

As for other players getting time on the floorÖ freshmen who arenít a top top recruit donít always get tons of minutes for us. Outside of Cooper, not sure we have a player who is an obvious player to push a 5th year captain to the bench or to fewer minutes.

And obviously I donít want JR to make a choice bc of what I want; I just donít quite get it.

To have a player leave Duke like this, if he DOES go somewhere elseÖ it feels like a bit of a rejection and sort of undermines his career achievements here, in my humble opinion. This kind of sucks for me, as a fan. Sorry. Was really hoping he would be here this year to lead this team

Like other Duke fans, I wish Roach the best of luck as he goes forward. He certainly gave Duke his all in four years. At his age, he needs to explore his opportunities in the NBA or other overseas pro team possibilities. He is experienced, is quick and shoots the ball well so he may think he has a shot at those opportunties so now is the time. What is a bit of a surprise is his posting for the transfer portal. Certainly he would have played an imporrtant role as Duke's third experienced guard and have a real shot at a national championship. He can also land at another school and make more in NIL money but I can't personnaly see that as advantageous for him. Nevertheless, I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I guess itís good that players can get paid but Iím just not interested in watching a collection of rented players pretend like theyíre a team for a season.
    A season is a lifetime (or so I've read). Today's players grew up in one and done, transactional hoops; the transactions are just more overt now. It's us old folks that long for the good ol' days. Jon and Jeremy are adjusting to our brave new world.

The NBA still allows for longer contracts. NCAA D2 and D3 have more stability. I don't think we'll see anything change in D1 unless the NCAA gets an antitrust exemption and can put some teeth back into rules.

Now get off my lawn!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I will always remember Jeremy as The Closer. The last minute 3 to put away Syracuse in the ACC Tournament. The dagger 3 against Michigan State. The late game heroics against Texas Tech. The big last minute bucket against UNC, twice in one season. The big buckets down the stretch against Miami and UVA to give Jon his first ACC title. 14 points in the second half against Houston, including yet another late midrange dagger, to pull off the biggest win of the Scheyer Era.

The last player of the Coach K Era. The glue that held it together during the transition. Hanger of 3 banners. A Duke basketball hero. Thank you, Jeremy.
    Totally agree. And sad that after all that he will transfer to another school

I think Jeremy wants his final season to be point-guard (Billy McCaffrey) and that would not be the case at Duke. I wish him the best and hope we don't play the team he transfers to.

GoDuke!

Do U.S. schools...excuse me, do the collectives nominally attached to, but unaffiliated with, U.S. schools pay more than foreign leagues these days? My hope is that his focus is on being a professional basketball player. If Kentucky['s collective] can pay more than a Euro-team somewhere, and if he can't get a look in the NBA, why wouldn't he treat Kentucky['s collective] as the best open option?

Either way, thanks Jeremy for an outstanding four years. We couldn't have asked for a better bridge from the GOAT to Jon Scheyer. And thank you, as well, for not making this a Keels-like situation where the team has to wait until the last possible second before knowing what their options are. All-in-all, this is a very courteous exit, and that is appreciated.

You know, it could be that after 4 seasons and a degree, Roach's time at Duke is just naturally finished and he's ready for a change. It also appears that he still has ambitions of being a pro player and wants to be more heavily involved in the offense for his last college season if the NBA eval doesn't work out just yet.
    Nobody here knows Duke's NIL situation. Nobody knows Jeremy's financial situation, so speculating his motivations along those lines seems uncalled for