Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    FWIW, The first item in my twitter feed is this
    https://twitter.com/BlueDevils/statu...31182396821860

Duke is now following Purdue transfer Mason Gillis on Instagram and X.

Last year shot 46.8% from 3.
    Yeah we could use another SF type. I don't think Flagg plays that position much just b/c none of the PF or C options stretch the floor so the spacing would suck.

2010 is really the only year that Duke was successful playing without a 4 who could stretch the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Interesting point. One needs to look no further than NC State top see this trade off in action. In 2022-23, Ernest Ross and Breon Pass showed promise as "home grown" Sophomores, playing 11 and 8 MPG respectively. Yet, the Pack didn't pin their fortune on these guys making the leap to ACC-caliber rotation players. Instead they brought in Mohammed Diarra and Ben Middlebrooks as alternatives to Ross. Jordan Taylor and Michael O'Connell were brought in as alternatives to Pass. The transfers ended up beating out the home grown guys and the Pack had their best post-season* since the 1980's.

Unsurprisingly, Ross has entered the transfer portal, though it looks like Pass may stick around for his Senior season.

*Of course, State could have easily lost to Louisville or UVA in the ACC tourney. In which case, the season would have been a near disaster ending with the coach being fired and the roster being almost empty for next year.
    Glad to see your asterisk at the end. We aren't modeling our program on NCSU. What are the chances they even make the NCAAT next year? Very low I'd wager...

I'm not sure. I''m more skeptical of the NIL figures I hear thrown about (particularly for average and below players). I'm also not as certain that universities like Duke are directly allocating NIL dollars to players to build a team. And any player worthy of NIL money is likely fielding many offers. But I do think most players want to play, and even those with less than 10% chance of playing in the NBA hold out that hope. So I would guess most players Duke would be interested in adding would fall into that category. Combined with difficulty getting transfer credits accepted and a roster of high level recruits, getting players from the portal is not easy. Duke's circumstances are different from many schools, so I would be very happy to land another Ryan Young type player.
    The NIL Figures on the On3 "valuation metrics" are definitely bunk, but it does seem based on multiple reports from coaches and those in the know that a starter in a P5 conference commands ~$200k+ in NIL these days. Agree on the rest of your points.

Brendan Marks at the Athletic, whom I like (behind a paywall What will Duke basketball roster look like next to Cooper Flagg and Tyrese Proctor?), likes Mason Gillis as the best portal target for Duke currently:

"...my top portal priority for Duke — is former Purdue forward Mason Gillis. The Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year this season, Gillis will turn 24 in November and just played in the national championship game, bringing valuable experience wherever he goes next. At 6-6 and 230 pounds, he has the strength to defend opposing power forwards, but he also shot 46.8 percent from 3 last season, and 40.7 percent over his career with the Boilermakers. Gillis would seemingly check all the boxes for Duke: a low-usage, high-efficiency stretch-four who can handle bigger defensive assignments and free Flagg up to roam — and who has already done what Duke hopes to next season: play for a national title."

I like the sound of that--a great fit. Will be a test of Duke's ability to take veteran transfers, along with NIL and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Brendan Marks at the Athletic, whom I like (behind a paywall What will Duke basketball roster look like next to Cooper Flagg and Tyrese Proctor?), likes Mason Gillis as the best portal target for Duke currently:

"...my top portal priority for Duke — is former Purdue forward Mason Gillis. The Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year this season, Gillis will turn 24 in November and just played in the national championship game, bringing valuable experience wherever he goes next. At 6-6 and 230 pounds, he has the strength to defend opposing power forwards, but he also shot 46.8 percent from 3 last season, and 40.7 percent over his career with the Boilermakers. Gillis would seemingly check all the boxes for Duke: a low-usage, high-efficiency stretch-four who can handle bigger defensive assignments and free Flagg up to roam — and who has already done what Duke hopes to next season: play for a national title."

I like the sound of that--a great fit. Will be a test of Duke's ability to take veteran transfers, along with NIL and the rest.
    Thanks for that.

Gillis already played four seasons and presumably graduated too already, right? Anybody know? That would make our angst about transfer credits go away...

Edit: Looks like he enrolled in grad school AT Purdue actually. So, not sure if he's looking to transfer his one semester of MBA credits??? Yikes, hahaha.
    "Enrolled in grad school, pursuing his MBA in management. Earned his degree in three-and-a-half years"
    https://purduesports.com/sports/mens...n-gillis/12353

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post

Would you rather have one year of Gillis or three years of Power? I'm sure a lot of people on here would say one year of Gillis. There's not a right or wrong answer - just pointing to Jon's challenge in trying to get older with homegrown talent vs fielding the most competitive teams possible. The goals conflict sometimes...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

I will not read too much into social media nonsense, I WILL not read too much into social media nonsense, I WILL NOT read too much...

Screw it. Great sign. GIVE ME MASON GILLIS PLEASE! Give me a 24 year old super senior who just played in the national title game, is an all-around glue guy, is versatile enough to play minutes 2-4, and will give this team experience and toughness. Please
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Would you rather have one year of Gillis or three years of Power? I'm sure a lot of people on here would say one year of Gillis. There's not a right or wrong answer - just pointing to Jon's challenge in trying to get older with homegrown talent vs fielding the most competitive teams possible. The goals conflict sometimes...
    It's interesting... based on what is leaking out about our transfer portal targets, I'm starting to think Jon may be trying to have his cake and eat it too. He may be expecting to keep one of Stewart/Power, and getting an experienced guy like Gillis (or Brown, or Brandon Angel, another name that has been out there as rumored a rumored "contact") that would take the role of the other. Theoretically, that should make all camps here happy... but practically, I'm betting no one will be happy, because this is the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Thanks for that.

Gillis already played four seasons and presumably graduated too already, right? Anybody know? That would make our angst about transfer credits go away...

Edit: Looks like he enrolled in grad school AT Purdue actually. So, not sure if he's looking to transfer his one semester of MBA credits??? Yikes, hahaha.
    "Enrolled in grad school, pursuing his MBA in management. Earned his degree in three-and-a-half years"
    https://purduesports.com/sports/mens...n-gillis/12353
    If its floor-spacing we're trying to achieve for Flagg, Gillis fits that role incredibly. He attempted 124 3pt attempts last season to just 41 2pm attempts, so he is definitely a perimeter-oriented player.

This is feeling less and less like "goldilocks", and more and more like "We're only going to have Cooper for one year. What do we need to win a championship RIGHT NOW?"

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    This is feeling less and less like "goldilocks", and more and more like "We're only going to have Cooper for one year. What do we need to win a championship RIGHT NOW?"
    And therein lies the challenge in this era. You don't get a Cooper Flagg very often. So you want to maximize your chances when you get one.

In my opinion, that is the right strategy. With the transfer portal, you can always augment "older" year to year as needed. Playing the long game at the expense of maximizing your chances in the years you have an uber-elite talent like Flagg seems risky to me.

But we'll see how it all plays out. Still a lot of unknowns about this coming year's roster, let alone 2025-26 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And therein lies the challenge in this era. You don't get a Cooper Flagg very often. So you want to maximize your chances when you get one.

In my opinion, that is the right strategy. With the transfer portal, you can always augment "older" year to year as needed. Playing the long game at the expense of maximizing your chances in the years you have an uber-elite talent like Flagg seems risky to me.

But we'll see how it all plays out.
    While there are a lot of steps between a transfer visit and actually getting that transfer on the team, I agree that these rumblings seem to indicate that Jon is perhaps leaning more in this direction than we previously thought. The question, then, becomes whether this is going to be the status quo moving forward or whether it's Flagg specific. In an ideal world, Jon would be able to effortless shift back and forth between long-term development and short-term maximization of potentially dominant OAD talents as opportunities for the latter arise, but the reality is that is near-impossible.

The most interesting thing will be how any of this affects the guys like Kon, Darren, and Pat, who are guys in that 15-30 range that Sky has continuously mentioned as the potential 3-4 year guys he thinks Jon wants to develop. There's a world in which we bring in a transfer for this year that interferes with Sean or TJ, but those not those three freshmen who may already have reasonable, limited expectations for their PT this year. By all accounts our recruiting focus in the 2025 class has been relatively limited, which may reflect an expectation that those three guys are being penciled in for big roles then. For reference, Darren Harris committed verbally to Duke in the Fall of 2022, while Isaiah Evans committed in April 2023... so around this time last year we already had two pieces of the 2024 class, while this year we have no pieces of the 2025 class. That's interesting, and goes to the idea that Jon doesn't want to be consistently bringing in recruiting classes of 6 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    It's interesting... based on what is leaking out about our transfer portal targets, I'm starting to think Jon may be trying to have his cake and eat it too. He may be expecting to keep one of Stewart/Power, and getting an experienced guy like Gillis (or Brown, or Brandon Angel, another name that has been out there as rumored a rumored "contact") that would take the role of the other. Theoretically, that should make all camps here happy... but practically, I'm betting no one will be happy, because this is the internet
    I definitely see Stewart and Brown as either/or. It's less clear to me with Gillis given his flexibility to play multiple positions. If Jon is able to bring in Gillis and hold onto TJ, he will truly be a magician.

Yes. that is what it feels like. Also feels like a trade deadline in NBA or MLB, where teams who have a shot at the title trade away all their prized prospects for a couple of valuable veteran pieces. Everyone know the prospects are probably better long term value, but when you have a chance at the title you do what you can to maximize your chances.

I am very ambivalent about this. On the one hand, with the rules the way it is, you have to run your program this way to compete. On the other hand, College Basketball is really starting to feel like a professional league, only it's the worst kind of league, with no salary cap, no draft, no long term contracts so every player is a free agent at the end of every season, and the teams don't pay the salary, they take the profit generated from the games to fund their own operations elsewhere and then ask the fans to crowdfund the player salaries, I know if this was how a professional league was originally set up I would have called it a scam and never gotten involved.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I will not read too much into social media nonsense, I WILL not read too much into social media nonsense, I WILL NOT read too much...

Screw it. Great sign. GIVE ME MASON GILLIS PLEASE! Give me a 24 year old super senior who just played in the national title game, is an all-around glue guy, is versatile enough to play minutes 2-4, and will give this team experience and toughness. Please
    Right there with you!

No doubt there are implications with respect to Stewart and Power, and a conflict with the "let's get older" paradigm shift that Scheyer has been pursuing.

But...this is a unique opportunity. To again quote Brendan Marks, who sees a lot of hoops, "Flagg is a transcendent talent, and the best high school player I’ve ever seen."

I hope we go for broke, pick up Gillis and terrorize college basketball next year. I'll worry about 2026 later.

Yup

Seems like Scheyer is pushing all his chips to the middle for next year.

And then maybe sell that approach to Boozer for the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Yup

Seems like Scheyer is pushing all his chips to the middle for next year.

And then maybe sell that approach to Boozer for the following year.
    One HUGE word of caution...we are all speculating on this thread and others about what Duke needs and how Jon is approaching roster building.

Keep in mind these are our projections of what Jon is doing. If certain players do or do not come to Duke don't blame Jon for our fantasies / dreams being burst. His plan may not be anywhere close to what we are thinking.

Let's not go nuts about Gillis. This is a guy who didn't start for Purdue and who averaged 6.5 points for the season. And didn't score against UConn. I'd rather keep our guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Would you rather have one year of Gillis or three years of Power?
    Another way of looking at it would be, would you turn down Gillis in order to hold onto Power, knowing that his contributions this coming season may be limited and then he could very well transfer away next summer?

I have always been in favor of retaining and developing the guys we have, but the last few years have slowly changed my thinking. Every season we're hitting the reset button, so we need to maximize our chances at a title every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Let's not go nuts about Gillis. This is a guy who didn't start for Purdue and who averaged 6.5 points for the season. And didn't score against UConn. I'd rather keep our guys.
    It's not really about what he did for another team, it's about what his particular skill set is and how that can improve our current squad. Gillis is a shooter with some size at 6'6''. He would space the floor very well for someone like Flagg to have more room to operate.