Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    FWIW, it has been suggested that Brown is transferring because he had to play out of position as a center this year due to injuries and with Freeman (McDAA PF) coming in this year he would have to play center again.
    If you had to guess, what % of a guy like Brown transferring has to do with him looking to make more $?

I think bringing in Brown is smart. Everyone thinks Maluach will play a lot and I just don't see it. I'm not even sure I would start him. Scheyer could start Stewert at the 5 and Brown at the 4, you could also play Maluach some at the 4 too because he can hit the outside shot. In reality I see Maluach more like a 15-18 MPG guy, Ngbongo probally 12-15, Stewert I see at 20-22 min and a guy like Brown can play 18-20. This way you can have Power back up Flagg at the 3.

Brown looks like a 4 on a defensive lineup. Maybe a couple mins at the 5 if you have Flagg at the 4. Good player but I want Stewart so only if he leaves which doesn't appear to be the case from his IG.

the issue with the college game is playing Flagg at the three kills spacing. Scheyer's biggest weakness to me these first two years is the spacing on offense hasn't been as good. Playing Flagg at the three and you are clogged in the paint, especially considering none of the 4 options are really shooters either.

Quote Originally Posted by JGDUKE2008 View Post
    I think bringing in Brown is smart. Everyone thinks Maluach will play a lot and I just don't see it. I'm not even sure I would start him. Scheyer could start Stewert at the 5 and Brown at the 4, you could also play Maluach some at the 4 too because he can hit the outside shot. In reality I see Maluach more like a 15-18 MPG guy, Ngbongo probally 12-15, Stewert I see at 20-22 min and a guy like Brown can play 18-20. This way you can have Power back up Flagg at the 3.
    Every year we all dream about a 8-9 man rotation. Not happening. That's one big reason that guys leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ingrjc1 View Post
    Every year we all dream about a 8-9 man rotation. Not happening. That's one big reason that guys leave.
    Correct and that is why we need to focus on guards in the portal not bigs. Unless Roach returns there isn't really any guard depth. We can dream of Freshmen but in these big Freshmen class it is two maybe three guys that actually play. I also don't know if Power ever plays significant minutes. The shooter who doesn't do much else seems to never play.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    Brown is better than Mitchell.
    Thatís the way I see it. He is a Mitchell replacement with better hands.

Brown is a fascinating example of the transfer/development trade off. In some ways, Brown is the player we hope Sean Stewart may one day become. Brown averaged 9.4 pts/7.2 reb/3.1 stocks and was on the All-ACC defensive team - that's pretty close to the ceiling for what I could expect from Stewart. I would be very impressed if Sean could produce like that as a sophomore.

So the question is, do you invest in player development or go with the transfer that looks like an immediate upgrade? As I mentioned in another thread, Duke is an extreme outlier in terms of taking so few transfers. The vast majority of high major coaches are going with the transfer in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Brown is a fascinating example of the transfer/development trade off. In some ways, Brown is the player we hope Sean Stewart may one day become. Brown averaged 9.4 pts/7.2 reb/3.1 stocks and was on the All-ACC defensive team - that's pretty close to the ceiling for what I could expect from Stewart. I would be very impressed if Sean could produce like that as a sophomore.

So the question is, do you invest in player development or go with the transfer that looks like an immediate upgrade? As I mentioned in another thread, Duke is an extreme outlier in terms of taking so few transfers. The vast majority of high major coaches are going with the transfer in this situation.
    Yup

Although I would say that Sean has a higher ceiling than Brown but to your point...we would be thrilled if Sean was all ACC defense in year 2.

So Brown is sort of the "bird in the hand" type of situation.

Keep in mind, Brown also just completed his sophomore year. So I'm assuming he would have 2 more years of eligibility, not just 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Correct and that is why we need to focus on guards in the portal not bigs. Unless Roach returns there isn't really any guard depth. We can dream of Freshmen but in these big Freshmen class it is two maybe three guys that actually play. I also don't know if Power ever plays significant minutes. The shooter who doesn't do much else seems to never play.
    THIS - we have two guards. two. Proctor and Foster.. Blakes and Schutt are gone. Need Roach and. Another. Injuries and depth
    Even with the two great guards there are about 20 minutes left at the 2 guard positions. (80 minutes.. 30 minutes each for Foster and Proctor leaves 20 minutes). SO HAVE to have another guard .. would LOVE Roach. Even then need a 4th guard for injuries, fouls, depth

The 1.5 factors not being mentioned though is cultural fit/relationships.For example, Sean Stewart has spent a year plus on campus and in the program. He has already built a relationship with the coaches, staff and returning players and understands and has embraced the Duke culture. . In addition, he already has a relationship and is a former high school teammate with next year’s best player and alpha, Flagg. Plus we have already seen his energy and enthusiasm he brings to Duke. (Finally, he has also handled the academics)
    If you bring in a transfer like Brown who can potentially in the short term make a more immediate impact on court , you never really know if that player will bring in the intangibles of a Ryan Young or even a Theo John or how they will affect team chemistry both on and off the court.

Again, it’s the ( Blue) Devil you know

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    THIS - we have two guards. two. Proctor and Foster.. Blakes and Schutt are gone. Need Roach and. Another. Injuries and depth
    Even with the two great guards there are about 20 minutes left at the 2 guard positions. (80 minutes.. 30 minutes each for Foster and Proctor leaves 20 minutes). SO HAVE to have another guard .. would LOVE Roach. Even then need a 4th guard for injuries, fouls, depth
    Well we have Harris and Kneueppel, but they have never played one minute of college basketball. I see Evans as a 3. If we go the portal route is that recruiting over them?

GoDuke!

Interesting point. One needs to look no further than NC State top see this trade off in action. In 2022-23, Ernest Ross and Breon Pass showed promise as "home grown" Sophomores, playing 11 and 8 MPG respectively. Yet, the Pack didn't pin their fortune on these guys making the leap to ACC-caliber rotation players. Instead they brought in Mohammed Diarra and Ben Middlebrooks as alternatives to Ross. Jordan Taylor and Michael O'Connell were brought in as alternatives to Pass. The transfers ended up beating out the home grown guys and the Pack had their best post-season* since the 1980's.

Unsurprisingly, Ross has entered the transfer portal, though it looks like Pass may stick around for his Senior season.

*Of course, State could have easily lost to Louisville or UVA in the ACC tourney. In which case, the season would have been a near disaster ending with the coach being fired and the roster being almost empty for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Well we have Harris and Kneueppel, but they have never played one minute of college basketball. I see Evans as a 3. If we go the portal route is that recruiting over them?

GoDuke!
    Not if you are getting a PG type. Also getting a senior in the portal doesn't damage those two b/c they aren't close to one and done guys.

Not if you are getting a PG type. Also getting a senior in the portal doesn't damage those two b/c they aren't close to one and done guys.
    But that's gonna be a tough sell to a kid in the portal who's more than likely looking for more playing time and we already have two ball-dominant guards returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    If you had to guess, what % of a guy like Brown transferring has to do with him looking to make more $?
    I'm not sure. I''m more skeptical of the NIL figures I hear thrown about (particularly for average and below players). I'm also not as certain that universities like Duke are directly allocating NIL dollars to players to build a team. And any player worthy of NIL money is likely fielding many offers. But I do think most players want to play, and even those with less than 10% chance of playing in the NBA hold out that hope. So I would guess most players Duke would be interested in adding would fall into that category. Combined with difficulty getting transfer credits accepted and a roster of high level recruits, getting players from the portal is not easy. Duke's circumstances are different from many schools, so I would be very happy to land another Ryan Young type player.

I kinda think Brown is almost a must-get. We have to acknowledge we are in a bit of a must-win situation with Cooper Flagg. And Flagg's recruitment means this will be a defining season for Coach Scheyer and our program going forward. We can't let our roster have the same major flaw like it did this year.

Everyone expects to play now.

FWIW, The first item in my twitter feed is this
    https://twitter.com/BlueDevils/statu...31182396821860

Duke is now following Purdue transfer Mason Gillis on Instagram and X.

Last year shot 46.8% from 3.