Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My bottom line here is that the fact that Scheyer is not after one of the big name 4/5s in the portal means that he feels like he has his primary bigs already on the roster.
    The primary bigs as in Maluach, Stewart and Nbonga?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have no intel on this one but I would be extremely disappointed if Duke took Brown at the expense of keeping Stewart. There is little question in my mind that Sean Stewart would be a far far far more impactful player than Mailk Brown if he was given the playing time Brown got at Syracuse.
    Worth noting that Brown was a member of the All-ACC Defensive team this year. While I like Stewart’s potential very much, I think you are underrating Brown’s ability to impact the game. I would be quite surprised if Stewart is “far more impactful” next year than Brown was this year, let alone than what Brown will be next year. Stewart might be better than Brown next year. Might. But I would consider that a pleasant surprise, and would be shocked if Stewart is “far more impactful”.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    I watched him a a lot because I watched most of SU’s games this year. Maliq Brown is great! He was their best player and is a huge loss for them. Obviously a great defensive player -- led the team in steals and blocked shots and rebounds, and is incredibly efficient offensively (70% from the floor). If he comes here, don’t count him out at all in competing for minutes -- I expect he would be better than any of our big freshmen or sophomores (other than maybe Cooper Flagg). He is a big, strong, experienced junior, just what we need.
    This is a great scouting report. I think he'd be a great fit if either Stewart or Maluach were to leave. I can't see the fit with both Maluach and Stewart on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    If Stewart leaves for the portal, then Mark Mitchell should think about returning. Mark can play the small ball 5 provided he puts on 10 more lbs on his frame.
    Brown is better than Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I can't see Jon bringing in Malik Brown with Stewart on the roster. We know Maluach is going to get at the very least 15-20 mpg because he's a projected top5 draft pick. So bringing in Brown would severely cut into Sean's minutes. No, I've got to believe that Sean has not given Jon a commitment on returning and Brown is one potential backup plan.

Brown was effective playing 30 mpg at C for Syracuse so this would be a step down in minutes. I don't think any top10 center in the portal is going to come to Duke with Maluach here.
    Maluach might be a top 5 draft pick and he might be an eventual NBA star. But a junior Maliq (not Malik, everyone) Brown may be a much better player than a freshman Maluach.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    Maluach might be a top 5 draft pick and he might be an eventual NBA star. But a junior Maliq (not Malik, everyone) Brown may be a much better player than a freshman Maluach.
    Put another way: if someone would tell us that Maluach would average 9 and 7 and be an All-ACC defender next year, we would all be pretty pleased, right? Well, that is what Brown has already done.

Maluach undoubtedly has a higher ceiling. And within a couple years I would guess he will be much better than Brown. But I would agree that it is very much in doubt who will be the better player next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Put another way: if someone would tell us that Maluach would average 9 and 7 and be an All-ACC defender next year, we would all be pretty pleased, right? Well, that is what Brown has already done.

Maluach undoubtedly has a higher ceiling. And within a couple years I would guess he will be much better than Brown. But I would agree that it is very much in doubt who will be the better player next year.
    Y'all are dreaming if you think Jon is going to get Brown and split the minutes at the 5 between Brown and Stewart with Maluach on the bench. That is not going to happen. There's just not minutes for all three guys on our roster.

Y'all are dreaming if you think Jon is going to get Brown and split the minutes at the 5 between Brown and Stewart with Maluach on the bench. That is not going to happen. There's just not minutes for all three guys on our roster.
    At no point did I suggest that both Brown and Stewart would be here. I think they are very much mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    At no point did I suggest that both Brown and Stewart would be here. I think they are very much mutually exclusive.
    Ok, we agree on that. Not sure everyone does... The only possible explanation to bring in a P5 center for a visit who played 30 mpg last year is if Stewart is on the fence.

I guess the other explanation is if Jon is committing to play Sean for 30 mpg at the 4 with Copper at the 3. But I think this is highly, highly unlikely.

Ok, we agree on that. Not sure everyone does... The only possible explanation to bring in a P5 center for a visit who played 30 mpg last year is if Stewart is on the fence.

I guess the other explanation is if Jon is committing to play Sean for 30 mpg at the 4 with Copper at the 3. But I think this is highly, highly unlikely.
    I don’t pretend to understand what Scheyer is doing in constructing the roster. I am just saying, having watched Brown a lot, that he is a premier ACC player and will compete for lots of minutes if he ends up on our roster.

Some highlights of Brown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUQiY-FMD8

He looks like a menace on D, and is surprisingly skilled around the rim. Would love to have him, but struggling to see him as a 5.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    Some highlights of Brown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUQiY-FMD8

He looks like a menace on D, and is surprisingly skilled around the rim. Would love to have him, but struggling to see him as a 5.
    That's a very impressive highlight reel. He's a fast twitch athletic guy for sure. Highly active. And the range of plays he shows from assists to steals to blocks to put-back dunks is really nice. Glad he's on Jon's radar screen. Also, he's too small to make these plays in the NBA, so if we get him, I feel like it would be a pretty much guaranteed 2 years.

Is it possible coach Scheyer is trying to re-create a little bit of 2010 Duke here.

Let's see:

Malauch: Zoubek (7 Footer to defend the rim)
    Brown: Thomas (defense and rebounding focused forward, low usage)
    Flagg: Singler (6'9" Do it all guy at the 3, rebound, defense, score inside and out)
    Foster: Smith (This is probably the worst comparison, but Foster shot over 40% from 3 last year)
    Proctor: Scheyer (Tall PG who can manage the offense and excellent at avoiding TOs)

Stewart/Ngongba: Plumlee/Plumlee (A couple of physical and athletic bigs who can coming in and muck it up against physical opponents)
    KK: Dawkins (Dead eye shooter who can come off the bench for instant offense)

Basically a team that will win based on size, plays tough and physical defense, count on 3 guys to provide most of the offense, and some shooters off the bench, and grab a lot of offensive rebounds.
    Biggest difference is that I doubt Foster/Proctor will be nearly as dynamic on offense as Smith/Scheyer were, but this team will have KK/Evans/Harris off the bench compared to just Dawkins in 2010 to help provide some scoring off the bench.

Brown could be Ngongba insurance

Are we sure that Maluach is rock solid? I read/heard something in connection with the game the other night that was phrased "...assuming he signs his letter of intent next week..." This is not rumor mongering. I just want to consider all possibilities about why we might be looking at a big man like this inthe portal.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I think another factor not being discussed here is that both seasons Scheyer has been a head coach, the team has been hampered by a slow start out of the gate, losses in key non-conference matchups that ended up hurting Duke's chances to land a high seed in the tournament, not to mention also some early losses in the ACC as well. This is probably not surprising given how young and inexperienced the teams have been at the start of the season. But perhaps these portal moves are what coach Scheyer is doing in response to that. Maybe he thinks by season's end, Maluach is going to be a problem for the opposition, the way Lively became. But meantime his team is locked into no higher than a 3 seed because Maluach wasn't ready in November and December and Duke lost some key games. Getting some of these veterans like Brown can be his insurance against that. Maybe Brown can player 30 mpg as a starter in Nov while Maluach is adjusting to the college game, helping Duke win the big non-conference games, and by March he's playing 20 mpg as a key reserve, but Duke is able to lock up a #1 seed which makes the path to the FF a lot easier.

100% on board with bringing Brown in. We absolutely need a guy like him, not only to be insurance in case the freshmen bigs start out slow, but to make them better in practice. We need someone to replace Ryan Young's level of experience and hopefully his leadership as well.

Not sure if his 37% on 0.6 attempts from 3 per game was real, but if he can do 35% and make people respect him out there, that's a huge plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think another factor not being discussed here is that both seasons Scheyer has been a head coach, the team has been hampered by a slow start out of the gate, losses in key non-conference matchups that ended up hurting Duke's chances to land a high seed in the tournament, not to mention also some early losses in the ACC as well. This is probably not surprising given how young and inexperienced the teams have been at the start of the season. But perhaps these portal moves are what coach Scheyer is doing in response to that. Maybe he thinks by season's end, Maluach is going to be a problem for the opposition, the way Lively became. But meantime his team is locked into no higher than a 3 seed because Maluach wasn't ready in November and December and Duke lost some key games. Getting some of these veterans like Brown can be his insurance against that. Maybe Brown can player 30 mpg as a starter in Nov while Maluach is adjusting to the college game, helping Duke win the big non-conference games, and by March he's playing 20 mpg as a key reserve, but Duke is able to lock up a #1 seed which makes the path to the FF a lot easier.
    Are you forgetting Ngongba or has someone got intel that he won't be ready for the season?

FWIW, it has been suggested that Brown is transferring because he had to play out of position as a center this year due to injuries and with Freeman (McDAA PF) coming in this year he would have to play center again.

everyone doesn't.