Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DBKilby View Post
    Its his natural position. I want him and Power to play both with Flagg guarding the other teams better offensive player at those spots. Looking ahead, Boozer if we are fortunate to land him will be playing the 4 in '25-26. That would hypothetically push Power to the 3. That's why I want him to get playing time there. Stewart would play the 5 in this scenario so if he doesn't want that I would rather him move on and get Brown in the system for next 2 years.
    That's sound reasoning. And it does cover up Powers defensive deficiencies. I thought I was bullish on Power but you might be even more bullish! I think there's still a chance that either Evans or K2 are so good that Jon has to give them 20+ mpg at the 3. I guess in this scenario, Coopef could play 20 mpg at the 3 and 10 mpg at the 4. Lots of interesting options for next year with all the 5* talent.

This one is very curious indeed as I can't see him getting anything close to the minutes or usage that he received at Syracuse...regardless of who may/may not leave.

And I really hope Stewart stays...if he goes it'll be one of the more disappointing transfers that I've seen over the years.

And I really don't understand folks not wanting Stewart at the 5 next year. He'll be 6' 9" 235 which is more than enough to play the 5 spot effectively in CBB. Sure we'll occasionally need some more bulk but, to me, that's what Khaman and Ngongba are for.
    Last edited by dukelion; 04-15-2024 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Gillis is from my Dad's small hometown of New Castle, IN, home of the largest high school gym in the country (https://www.indystar.com/in-depth/sp...ue/4555013001/), where my Dad played for Coach Marvin Wood (aka the "Hoosiers" movie coach), when Wood moved there the year after winning the title for Milan. (https://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/15/s...iers-team.html).

My uncle still lives in New Castle, and his step-grandson was best friends with Gillis through high school. I know it's a couple of links removed, but my uncle says Gillis is an outstanding student and young man.

I would definitely love to have Stewart next year.
    Is there any evidence of interest in Gillis or is this just scottdude rosterbating? Not judging. I'm doing plenty of that myself!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    This one is very curious indeed as I can't see him getting anything close to the minutes or usage that he received at Syracuse...regardless of who may/may not leave.

And I really hope Stewart stays...if he goes it'll be one of the more disappointing transfers that I've seen over the years.

And I really don't understand folks not wanting Stewart at the 5 next year. He'll be 6' 9" 235 which is more than enough to play the 5 spot effectively in CBB. Sure we'll occasionally need some more bulk but, to me, that's what Khaman and Ngonba are for.
    It will be a hugely disappointing transfer. And I can not just see Stewart playing big minutes at the 5, but I can see him starting at the 5.

This is pure speculation, but here's what may be happening. Stewart's NBA position is the 4. Stewart's camp may be seeking a commitment out of Jon that Stewart will get to play big minutes at the 4, displaying his face up game and 3 point shooting, and Jon may not be willing to make that commitment.

If this is what's happening, I hope Jon is able to convince the Stewart camp that while he'll primarily play the 5 this year, he will be featured more at the 4 his junior year. Stewart and Boozer could be virtually interchangeable at the 4/5 with Ngongba backing up the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    It will be a hugely disappointing transfer. And I can not just see Stewart playing big minutes at the 5, but I can see him starting at the 5.

This is pure speculation, but here's what may be happening. Stewart's NBA position is the 4. Stewart's camp may be seeking a commitment out of Jon that Stewart will get to play big minutes at the 4, displaying his face up game and 3 point shooting, and Jon may not be willing to make that commitment.

If this is what's happening, I hope Jon is able to convince the Stewart camp that while he'll primarily play the 5 this year, he will be featured more at the 4 his junior year. Stewart and Boozer could be virtually interchangeable at the 4/5 with Ngongba backing up the 5.
    I would make an argument that Sean is small ball 5 in the NBA. NBA 4 man shoot 3's and Stewart really doesn't have a shot outside 12-14 ft. I would also argue he is closer to 6'6 than 6'9. He is a real tweener and I view him as 3-4 yr player. I also don't see him transferring to another Power 6 program and automatically being this 28+ min guy. He his raw and has a long ways to go. I hope he stays. Him and Khaman would be so good at the 5.

That's a pretty solid hypothesis.

Still wonder why Brown would want to come though. He was essentially averaging a double double over the last half of the season and playing 35 mpg. He simply won't get that opportunity here next year.

With that said, he'd be a very welcome addition and we should consider ourselves extremely lucky "if" we can land him.

Consolation to losing Stewart....which will take me a long time to get over "if" indeed that's the case.

That's sound reasoning. And it does cover up Powers defensive deficiencies. I thought I was bullish on Power but you might be even more bullish! I think there's still a chance that either Evans or K2 are so good that Jon has to give them 20+ mpg at the 3. I guess in this scenario, Coopef could play 20 mpg at the 3 and 10 mpg at the 4. Lots of interesting options for next year with all the 5* talent.
    To me Power unlocks the whole offense. If he plays and spreads the court like I think then the lane is wide open for our guards to penetrate. And he can shoot from all spots on the court which is great because he can be the screener and kick out so we are attacking from all spots on the court.

That's a pretty solid hypothesis.

Still wonder why Brown would want to come though. He was essentially averaging a double double over the last half of the season and playing 35 mpg. He simply won't get that opportunity here next year.

With that said, he'd be a very welcome addition and we should consider ourselves extremely lucky "if" we can land him.

Consolation to losing Stewart...which will take me a long time to get over "if" indeed that's the case.
    I would say that if he came (and by virtue of that being evidence that Stewart was leaving) Brown could very conceivably log 25-30 mpg as either the third big or the starting center. That isnít far off the 29.6 mpg he averaged this year. And he would be playing for a more nationally prominent program.

This of course all just speculation as he hasnít visited yet let alone made a decision. But I could definitely see a legitimate starting role for the right guy next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DBKilby View Post
    To me Power unlocks the whole offense. If he plays and spreads the court like I think then the lane is wide open for our guards to penetrate. And he can shoot from all spots on the court which is great because he can be the screener and kick out so we are attacking from all spots on the court.
    You're preaching to the choir. Whether it's the 3 or 4, I expect Power to have an expanded role this season. And I think he'll be more prepared than Evans for the pace and physicality of the college game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would say that if he came (and by virtue of that being evidence that Stewart was leaving) Brown could very conceivably log 25-30 mpg as either the third big or the starting center. That isnít far off the 29.6 mpg he averaged this year. And he would be playing for a more nationally prominent program.

This of course all just speculation as he hasnít visited yet let alone made a decision. But I could definitely see a legitimate starting role for the right guy next year.
    I mean for Brown it could be the combination of playing 15-25 mpg on the top team in the country and a bigger NIL payday. Maybe he's a huge closet Duke fan too. Duke is a lot of kids' dream school...

Edit: Sorry, replied to the wrong post! Agree with CDU here.
    Last edited by SkyBrickey; 04-15-2024 at 09:09 PM.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Is there any evidence of interest in Gillis or is this just scottdude rosterbating? Not judging. I'm doing plenty of that myself!
    I may have jumped the gun here based on the OP in this thread, which mentioned Gillis even though the article didnít. Iím hoping that that was an honest omission or else I am definitely guilty of wishcasting haha.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I may have jumped the gun here based on the OP in this thread, which mentioned Gillis even though the article didnít. Iím hoping that that was an honest omission or else I am definitely guilty of wishcasting haha.

I have no intel on this one but I would be extremely disappointed if Duke took Brown at the expense of keeping Stewart. There is little question in my mind that Sean Stewart would be a far far far more impactful player than Mailk Brown if he was given the playing time Brown got at Syracuse.

I think that if Duke was seeing a 25+ min per game big man who is an automatic starter then they would be going after someone a bit more high profile than Malik Brown. It is possible Brown has been told that his role at Duke would be as a backup 4/5 and that he would be in the 15 mpg range. In that case, he could fit alongside Stewart and Maluach quite nicely as essentially the 4th big (with Flagg also being part of that mix and Ngongba in a bit more of a developmental role).

My bottom line here is that the fact that Scheyer is not after one of the big name 4/5s in the portal means that he feels like he has his primary bigs already on the roster.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd like to see or hear confirmation on Sean Stewart's return.

Maliq Brown could play either the 4 or the 5 which would give us some flexibilty depending on how quickly Maluach adjusts to the college game, how soon Ngongba is able to contribute, and whether Flagg plays the 3 or the 4. I can see a world where Brown, Stewart, Power, Maluach, and Ngongba all share minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. Perhaps it's a fantasy world that exists only in my head.

My knowledge of Brown is limited to watching him drop 26 points on us in Cameron on 11-16 shooting, which is a small sample size but a very favorable impression.

And I really don't understand folks not wanting Stewart at the 5 next year. He'll be 6' 9" 235 which is more than enough to play the 5 spot effectively in CBB. Sure we'll occasionally need some more bulk but, to me, that's what Khaman and Ngongba are for.
    Because I saw the size of the centers in the national championship game.

I like Sean as a help side defense shot blocker but not as someone who can keep a seven footer from scoring in the lane.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have no intel on this one but I would be extremely disappointed if Duke took Brown at the expense of keeping Stewart. There is little question in my mind that Sean Stewart would be a far far far more impactful player than Mailk Brown if he was given the playing time Brown got at Syracuse.

I think that if Duke was seeing a 25+ min per game big man who is an automatic starter then they would be going after someone a bit more high profile than Malik Brown. It is possible Brown has been told that his role at Duke would be as a backup 4/5 and that he would be in the 15 mpg range. In that case, he could fit alongside Stewart and Maluach quite nicely as essentially the 4th big (with Flagg also being part of that mix and Ngongba in a bit more of a developmental role).

My bottom line here is that the fact that Scheyer is not after one of the big name 4/5s in the portal means that he feels like he has his primary bigs already on the roster.
    I can't see Jon bringing in Malik Brown with Stewart on the roster. We know Maluach is going to get at the very least 15-20 mpg because he's a projected top5 draft pick. So bringing in Brown would severely cut into Sean's minutes. No, I've got to believe that Sean has not given Jon a commitment on returning and Brown is one potential backup plan.

Brown was effective playing 30 mpg at C for Syracuse so this would be a step down in minutes. I don't think any top10 center in the portal is going to come to Duke with Maluach here.

Let's not forget the business perspective of this, where a visit to Duke could drive up thr NIL price at other schools trying to acquire Browns services.

I can't see Jon bringing in Malik Brown with Stewart on the roster. We know Maluach is going to get at the very least 15-20 mpg because he's a projected top5 draft pick. So bringing in Brown would severely cut into Sean's minutes. No, I've got to believe that Sean has not given Jon a commitment on returning and Brown is one potential backup plan.

Brown was effective playing 30 mpg at C for Syracuse so this would be a step down in minutes. I don't think any top10 center in the portal is going to come to Duke with Maluach here.
    I will stick to what I still believe and say Stewart isn't going anywhere although this development makes no sense to me.

Maliq Brown

I watched him a a lot because I watched most of SUís games this year. Maliq Brown is great! He was their best player and is a huge loss for them. Obviously a great defensive player -- led the team in steals and blocked shots and rebounds, and is incredibly efficient offensively (70% from the floor). If he comes here, donít count him out at all in competing for minutes -- I expect he would be better than any of our big freshmen or sophomores (other than maybe Cooper Flagg). He is a big, strong, experienced junior, just what we need.