Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Duke targets in the portal

Syracuse transfer forward Maliq Brown will be here Wednesday-Friday. Hopefully Mason Gillis visits as well.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...F%3Fpage%3D125

These guys would be great additions.

This one is a head scratcher. Doesn't shoot 3's so is he a small ball 5 man?

Quote Originally Posted by DBKilby View Post
    This one is a head scratcher. Doesn't shoot 3's so is he a small ball 5 man?
    If you look at his advanced stats, he made a significant impact on both sides of the court as a Sophomore. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...q-brown-1.html

Yes, small ball 5 is what I see as well. I'm honestly concerned about the 5 next year, this would be make me feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    If you look at his advanced stats, he made a significant impact on both sides of the court as a Sophomore. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...q-brown-1.html

Yes, small ball 5 is what I see as well. I'm honestly concerned about the 5 next year, this would be make me feel much better.
    That is what he would have to play. He played almost 30 min/GM last year. I don't think we have that many minutes available. I just want a shooter at the 4 like Power to maximize the roster. I don't want too see Stewart there.

That is what he would have to play. He played almost 30 min/GM last year. I don't think we have that many minutes available. I just want a shooter at the 4 like Power to maximize the roster. I don't want too see Stewart there.
    I honestly think he'd have a chance to start at the 5. Which might mean Stewart looks elsewhere, as I don't see him fitting at the 4.

So tough to be a head coach and try to do the right thing for your current players while also prioritizing team success.

Maybe a backup plan if Stewart decides to transfer? Maybe Stewart is on the fence...

I honestly think he'd have a chance to start at the 5. Which might mean Stewart looks elsewhere, as I don't see him fitting at the 4.

So tough to be a head coach and try to do the right thing for your current players while also prioritizing team success.
    I just watched his highlights on YouTube. He played C for Cuse. He is built like a cross between Lance Thomas and Amile Jefferson. He is a replacement for Stewart. That is the only thing that makes sense.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Syracuse transfer forward Maliq Brown will be here Wednesday-Friday. Hopefully Mason Gillis visits as well.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...F%3Fpage%3D125
    Like others, it strikes me that Brown may redundant with either Stewart or Power. If he’s a 4, perhaps this fits if Power projects primarily as a 3 and Stewart as a 5. Interesting.

But Mason Gillis, as I’ve said before… give me all of that. A depth, tough glue guy who can shoot and play the 2 and 3? Yes please.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Or it might be in response to an expectation/concern that players may still leave. Or it could just be due diligence. As Sky noted in another thread, we have no idea what information Scheyer has. That applies both to the possible good (guys returning) and bad (guys leaving) or in between (guys not decided yet).

I just watched his highlights on YouTube. He played C for Cuse. He is built like a cross between Lance Thomas and Amile Jefferson. He is a replacement for Stewart. That is the only thing that makes sense.
    Define "replacement"...

Brown. 30 mpg. 9 ppg. 7 rpg. 70% FG. 72% FT. 2.2 spg.

So a good but not great rebounder. A great finisher on low volume. And great hands on those 2.2 spg.

Definitely seems like an either/or with Stewart.

Edit: I would choose Stewart but this may be one of those cases of Jon managing the challenge of keeping these guys. Brown would be a 2 year player for us, so seems like a very nice backfill if Mr Stewart does decide to move on. Hope that's not the case!

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Define "replacement"...
    He isn't a 4 man. He played C for Cuse last year and attempted less than 20 3's last year. Him visiting isn't because of Khaman or Ngongba. He is visiting because Stewart has to be on the fence. Flagg is playing the 3 and Power is a 4. Those guys aren't affected by him coming in for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Like others, it strikes me that Brown may redundant with either Stewart or Power. If he’s a 4, perhaps this fits if Power projects primarily as a 3 and Stewart as a 5. Interesting.

But Mason Gillis, as I’ve said before… give me all of that. A depth, tough glue guy who can shoot and play the 2 and 3? Yes please.
    A minor quibble, but I wouldn’t classify Gillis as a guy who can play the 2. He seems like a 3 or a smallball 4. He doesn’t have the ballhandling of a 2 in my opinion. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want him. Just that I wouldn’t look to him to be a guard.

As for Brown, he would seem a direct parallel to Stewart: smallball 5. I would probably think of them as an either/or situation.

He isn't a 4 man. He played C for Cuse last year and attempted less than 20 3's last year. Him visiting isn't because of Khaman or Ngongba. He is visiting because Stewart has to be on the fence. Flagg is playing the 3 and Power is a 4. Those guys aren't affected by him coming in for a visit.
    I'm not sure where all this "Flagg is playing the 3" is coming from. Flagg's mom?

Flagg could play the 3 or the 4 for us, sure. But if he's playing the 3 then Power has to play the 4. Maybe. But it's a little early to make that call. With all the shooters on our team, I don't think there's any way Jon is playing Maluach at the 5 and Stewart at the 4.

If Stewart leaves for the portal, then Mark Mitchell should think about returning. Mark can play the small ball 5 provided he puts on 10 more lbs on his frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I'm not sure where all this "Flagg is playing the 3" is coming from. Flagg's mom?

Flagg could play the 3 or the 4 for us, sure. But if he's playing the 3 then Power has to play the 4. Maybe. But it's a little early to make that call. With all the shooters on our team, I don't think there's any way Jon is playing Maluach at the 5 and Stewart at the 4.
    I agree, both with this and your post that Brown seems likely to be an either/or with Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree, both with this and your post that Brown seems likely to be an either/or with Stewart.
    Wait, you and I aren't debating?

Keeping Stewart and Power could be a real challenge as you've pointed out. I think is a great sign to show that Jon is proactively lining up options. Stewart is our first choice. But if he leaves, we aren't going to let the team take a hit. At 30 mpg at Cuse last year and 1 year + older (Stewart is young for his class), it could be that Brown would be a better backup C next year even though Stewart has a higher longterm ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post

Its his natural position. I want him and Power to play both with Flagg guarding the other teams better offensive player at those spots. Looking ahead, Boozer if we are fortunate to land him will be playing the 4 in '25-26. That would hypothetically push Power to the 3. That's why I want him to get playing time there. Stewart would play the 5 in this scenario so if he doesn't want that I would rather him move on and get Brown in the system for next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

Gillis is from my Dad's small hometown of New Castle, IN, home of the largest high school gym in the country (https://www.indystar.com/in-depth/sp...ue/4555013001/), where my Dad played for Coach Marvin Wood (aka the "Hoosiers" movie coach), when Wood moved there the year after winning the title for Milan. (https://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/15/s...iers-team.html).

My uncle still lives in New Castle, and his step-grandson was best friends with Gillis through high school. I know it's a couple of links removed, but my uncle says Gillis is an outstanding student and young man.

I would definitely love to have Stewart next year.