Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I really hate that he is leaving. I had hopes of watching him develop at Duke. I understand it but hate it

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Oh, my bad. I thought you were projecting Schutt to return. All though I still think losing guys like Reeves and Schutt works against your theory.
    Despite being one of the most vocal skeptics of the practically of the Goldilocks model, I will defend Sky here. Reeves definitely didn’t factor into the concept. It is based on guys in the ~15-30ish range of recruiting. Reeves was comfortably outside the top-100. He appears to have been intended as more of a dart throw and/or practice body.

Schutt was outside the top-60 in the recruiting rankings, so he is also not really a fit. It is a very specific model. Schutt is closer though.

Essentially, we haven’t had a single guy in the true at-risk category make a clear decision yet. Proctor, Mitchell, and Foster were all 20+ mpg players as freshmen. The first real tests will be Power and Stewart, both this year and (if they return this year) next year.

Thanks, and good luck, Jaden. With three years of eligibility ahead of you, I hope you land at the right place and get a chance to start and get lots of shots up.

As for modern day roster construction, we need to give Jon and the staff time to adjust to the rapidly changing dynamic environment. If we get Power and Stewart back with Proctor and Foster, and we keep the recruits, that would be a homerun.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Rapid rise? He hasn't even hit campus yet, much less shown himself to be better than Schutt.

But bigger picture, yes this is the kind of loss that sets back Jon's (presumed) strategy. Basically removing a non-OAD, probable never NBA quality third-year shooting guard off the bench with an incoming, non-OAD, probably never NBA quality first-year shooting guard off the bench. Lost two years of "older" if that's the way one chooses to think about it.
    You're talking about a third-year guy with a total of 96 college minutes and knee surgery under his belt vs. a freshman, there's not a whole lot working in favor of the junior in that comparison besides "older." All we know about Schutt at this level is that he can hit some 3s in garbage time.

Based on the senior season Harris just had (plus his size advantage), there's plenty of reason to believe he can make a bigger impact next season at Duke than Schutt would've. He just led a powerhouse team against a powerhouse schedule and was a stud; Schutt, as much of a star as he was in HS as well, played in Illinois's smallest HS division.

Good luck young man. I hope you have a successful career and life.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    I really hate that he is leaving. I had hopes of watching him develop at Duke. I understand it but hate it
    It's a smart move, considering he's looking for better opportunities with three years of eligibility left, right?

If Jordan can stay healthy, I think he’ll become a guy that teams like Duke will want to have in their starting lineup. Watching his mix tapes coming out of HS, I wondered how he would transition from being “the man” to trying to earn to earn a few minutes here and there to get some traction at Duke. Northwestern would be a great fit for him. Hope it happens.

I hope Jeremy is coming back. Having the best backcourt in the country returning to play alongside a young and very talented front court would be exiting for next year.

Like others I understand why Jaden is leaving but I don't like it. Yes, we have some great freshman coming in. We always seem to have great freshman coming in but things have changed in college basketball. We are the dinosaur trying to build a team by bringing in top recruits and relying on young talent to put us over the top. The problem is that freshman are not a consistent as upperclassmen. A freshman with a ton of long term potential and talent may not make a team better the way a guy like Jaden would in his 3rd, 4th and 5th year.

Of course I wish Jaden the best and hope I get to see him succeed wherever he lands.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Rapid rise? He hasn't even hit campus yet, much less shown himself to be better than Schutt.

But bigger picture, yes this is the kind of loss that sets back Jon's (presumed) strategy. Basically removing a non-OAD, probable never NBA quality third-year shooting guard off the bench with an incoming, non-OAD, probably never NBA quality first-year shooting guard off the bench. Lost two years of "older" if that's the way one chooses to think about it.
    Getting older matters, especially with NIL (collectives) and the transfer portal. The best examples of this: NC State and The Cheaters. NCState started 4 grad students and a junior when they beat us in the elite 8. UNCheat started 2 guys they have held back (Bacot and RJ) a Jr Transfer (Ingram) a 25 year old transfer (Ryan) and a freshman PG who can't shoot. It was Ingram and Ryan who killed us. Will those two have the NBA careers of they guys we had out there? Probably not but they beat us on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kids without NBA futures should earn their Duke degree like Jaylen Blakes before transferring out.

Unless they're going to a similar caliber school academically and have a chance of starting. i.e ivy league schools / Stanford.
    This is a great point. They are still supposed to be student-athletes. Having a degree from Duke, even if you do spend a few years playing pro hoops outside the NBA, is so valuable long term.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    His transfer was highly predictable. As long we can successfully recruit over the lesser talents, the guys that don’t see much chance at playing time until junior/senior year aren’t gonna stay. I don’t blame them since it’s so easy now to move on and still play 3 years of college ball elsewhere.
    This is the harsh reality. There's going to come a time where Jaden is a 4th year Jr or an 5th year Sr where he will be a mature, effective college basketball player who isn't on his way to the NBA. I'm going to miss seeing that play out for Jaden at Duke. I was really hoping he'd see enough value in a Duke degree and playing time that would increase over the next 3 years to stay. Most guys that leave lower their ceiling but get more PT.

Jayden was the one I thought would stick it out because of his prior statements about loving Duke and not quitting anything in his life.

This makes me realize that nothing is guaranteed in this New World Order and even more than before we can't get attached to players who come and go for reasons beyond our control.

This may be our last large incoming class. If this one doesn't pan out right away, and I can't believe it will other than for Cooper, then recruiting should be done on other campuses and not in high school gyms.

Sorry to see Jaden move on. I'll echo what others have written. This is not remotely surprising. Players in his ranking range have such a steep climb for playing time at Duke. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

I think people have to remember that for a lot of kids, this is their last shot on playing high level competitive basketball, so of course they want to play and contribute as much as they can. If Schutt doesn't see himself cracking the line up except in mop up duty and he wants to play, then he owes it to himself to do what is best for him. There was a time when I used to cynically believe that kids who left the program were selfishly giving up on their team or the school. There may be times when that might be true, but for a majority of transfers, they are just trying to find the best fit and continue doing what they love for as long as they can. I bet most do not relish the idea of having to leave their friends, teammates coaches and classmates and start over somewhere else. However, I think they would really regret not getting that opportunity to play once that time has passed them.

Jaden, we hardly knew ye! Hate to see him go, but I can’t blame him! Best of luck Jaden wherever you land. Always a Bluedevil!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Like others I understand why Jaden is leaving but I don't like it. Yes, we have some great freshman coming in. We always seem to have great freshman coming in but things have changed in college basketball. We are the dinosaur trying to build a team by bringing in top recruits and relying on young talent to put us over the top. The problem is that freshman are not a consistent as upperclassmen. A freshman with a ton of long term potential and talent may not make a team better the way a guy like Jaden would in his 3rd, 4th and 5th year. ... This is the harsh reality. There's going to come a time where Jaden is a 4th year Jr or an 5th year Sr where he will be a mature, effective college basketball player who isn't on his way to the NBA. I'm going to miss seeing that play out for Jaden at Duke. I was really hoping he'd see enough value in a Duke degree and playing time that would increase over the next 3 years to stay. Most guys that leave lower their ceiling but get more PT.
    I was hoping for this too, but in the current environment, it really increasingly seems like it's a pipe dream.

Jaden was, per the 247 Composite rankings, rated as the #6 SG in his class (#75 overall). The #1 SG in the class (#8 overall) was Keyonte George, a one and done for Baylor. But, Jaden's rankings were roughly comparable to the #2 - #12 SGs in the class, who were all between #49 and #101 overall -- and I think it's reasonably well accepted that there isn't much difference from a ratings or future expectations standpoint of everyone in the 50-100 range.

Of those ten other guys comparably rated to Jaden, every single one except Fletcher Loyer has transferred - even those who have started/played substantial minutes for big-time programs like Ohio St., Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida and Wisconsin:

#2 Roddy Gayle (#49 overall) – Ohio St., 14 ppg in 31 mpg; transferring out anyway.
    #3 Rylan Griffen (#53) – Alabama, 11 ppg in 26 mpg; transferring out anyway.
    #4 Kam Craft (#60) – Xavier, 7 mpg as a Fr, injury redshirt as So.; transferring to Miami (Ohio).
    #5 Otega Oweh (#70) – Oklahoma, 11 ppg in 24 mpg; transferring out anyway.
    #7 Zion Cruz (#77) – DePaul; transferred to JUCO after 1 season.
    #8 Riley Kugel (#83) – Florida, 9 ppg in 23 mpg; transferring up to Kansas.
    #9 Fletcher Loyer (#96) – Purdue, 10 ppg in 28 mpg.
    #10 AJ Storr (#97) – St. John’s, transferred to Wisconsin after Fr. year and averaged 17 ppg as So.; now transferring to Illinois.
    #11 Lamar Washington (#98) – Texas Tech, 2 ppg in 9 mpg this season; now in portal.
    #12 Davin Cosby (#101) – Alabama, 3.6 ppg in 8 mpg this season; now in portal.

It's hard to see how the message of this shouldn't be -- "don't bother trying to recruit and retain productive, 4 year players, you can't do it anymore."

The player is an adult, he makes his own decisions. I wish he would have stayed, and we will never know if he could have achieved greater things here. So be it... I think the portal gives players the ability to control their own lives - as it should be. I wish him well wherever he goes. If he drops down to a low major, he may well make an all-conference team on scoring alone, since defense isn't often as competitive as in high majors. I'll root for him.

That being said, we knew people were going to leave somehow. 3 in the portal seems about right...

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Ummm

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    The player is an adult, he makes his own decisions. I wish he would have stayed, and we will never know if he could have achieved greater things here. So be it... I think the portal gives players the ability to control their own lives - as it should be. I wish him well wherever he goes. If he drops down to a low major, he may well make an all-conference team on scoring alone, since defense isn't often as competitive as in high majors. I'll root for him.

That being said, we knew people were going to leave somehow. 3 in the portal seems about right...

9F
    We're up to four, I think: Reeves, Mitchell, Blakes (as a grad transfer), and Schutt.

And perhaps more to come.

4 year players at Duke are going to be guys who are good enough college players to play right away but don’t have NBA potential. It’s a tough needle to thread but Jeremy Roach, Bacot, RJ Davis, Zach Edey and DJ Burns fit. McCain, Steward and Mitchell also seemed to fit but there’s no guarantee they’ll always stick.

On3's Jamie Shaw recently posted a list of schools that have contacted Jaden Schutt:

Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Butler
    Penn State
    Creighton
    Dayton
    Davidson
    DePaul
    Saint Louis
    Saint Mary’s
    UCF
    Virginia Tech
    Wisconsin

I found this on a Creighton board, and someone was quick to make an Alex O'Connell comparison.

UCF is interesting because of Coach Dawkins, but I wonder if he wants to play closer to home. Hard to tell from the above list. Schutt went to high school in Illinois, and on his list of offers back then, Duke was the only school that was not in or near the Midwest.

Schutt to Virginia Tech - Duke Chronicle

They lost a lot of guys and they love their shooters.

On3: Duke transfer guard Jaden Schutt commits to Virginia Tech

The 6-foot-5 sophomore from Yorkville, Illinois redshirted his season. He averaged 2.1 points and 1.1 rebounds per game last season as a freshman.
    jadenschutt.jpg

The other finalists were Butler, Dayton, DePaul, and Wisconsin, according to Travis Branham of 247 Sports.