Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Jaden Schutt Portals to VaTech

Jaden is officially off to the portal: https://www.on3.com/college/duke-blu...ansfer-portal/

Like Christian, itís unfortunate weíll never know if Jaden mightíve been able to crack the rotation this year were it not for his injury. Go kick butt elsewhere Jaden (and make good use of that redshirt year of eligibility!).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Good luck to Jaden. Hope he finds a great school and program.

Well damn.

Best of luck Jafen.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks for your time here. Best of luck. Hope Chris Collins is in touch. Great place for you to land.

This is too bad but understandable. The rapid rise of Harris makes it even tougher for Jaden to ever crack the rotation at Duke. Good luck, Jaden. We will all be cheering for you to light it up next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    This is too bad but understandable. The rapid rise of Harris makes it even tougher for Jaden to ever crack the rotation at Duke. Good luck, Jaden. We will all be cheering for you to light it up next year.
    Not trying to call you out, more your strategy of "getting older" by keeping our 4 stars. With transfers free and easy, I'm afraid we'll see more guys like Jaden leave before ever having an impact. Which makes me wonder why not fill that scholarship with a transfer who can be more than a practice player / cheerleader.

Btw, I agree with you on Harris.

Rapid rise? He hasn't even hit campus yet, much less shown himself to be better than Schutt.

But bigger picture, yes this is the kind of loss that sets back Jon's (presumed) strategy. Basically removing a non-OAD, probable never NBA quality third-year shooting guard off the bench with an incoming, non-OAD, probably never NBA quality first-year shooting guard off the bench. Lost two years of "older" if that's the way one chooses to think about it.

I'm really sorry you're leaving, Jaden. Good luck!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

This sucks but his surgery didn't help the situation out. I hope he goes to Northwestern.

Kids without NBA futures should earn their Duke degree like Jaylen Blakes before transferring out.

Unless they're going to a similar caliber school academically and have a chance of starting. i.e ivy league schools / Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    Not trying to call you out, more your strategy of "getting older" by keeping our 4 stars. With transfers free and easy, I'm afraid we'll see more guys like Jaden leave before ever having an impact. Which makes me wonder why not fill that scholarship with a transfer who can be more than a practice player / cheerleader.

Btw, I agree with you on Harris.
    This has been debated on lots of threads. I think it's obvious that Jon's strategy is to get older through keeping these high-rated, non-OAD recruits around for 3-4 years. Foster, Power, Stewart is the first class for this wait-your-turn strategy. Ngongba, K2, Harris are in a similar position right behind them. If you bring transfers in over these top 15-30 recruits, then why would they stick around and wait their turn? This is a transition Jon is managing while he waits for these kids to age-up. Just my view. Reasonable minds can disagree...

I won't parse words on this one... yeesh! How disappointing to have a kid in the program for two years and never even see the guy really get a chance to play.

Is this just how it's gonna be every year? We lose players left and right to the NBA and the portal. We lose one guy, Mitchell, b/c he can't shoot threes or something like that and then we lose a guy whose niche is shooting threes. I know I am oversimplifying, but it's very disappointing.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Rapid rise? He hasn't even hit campus yet, much less shown himself to be better than Schutt.

But bigger picture, yes this is the kind of loss that sets back Jon's (presumed) strategy. Basically removing a non-OAD, probable never NBA quality third-year shooting guard off the bench with an incoming, non-OAD, probably never NBA quality first-year shooting guard off the bench. Lost two years of "older" if that's the way one chooses to think about it.
    I don't think this impacts Jon's get older strategy at all. Jaden was ranked, what, in the 60s? Realistically, with guys like Evans, K2, Harris coming to campus, Schutt was unlikely to ever see the court.

I've been saying let's temper expectations on Darren Harris. Others have been saying he will definitely play this year. He's one of those kids clearly playing above his ranking so I expect he'll rise even more when the next round of rankings come out. Low 30s. Possibly in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I won't parse words on this one... yeesh! How disappointing to have a kid in the program for two years and never even see the guy really get a chance to play.

Is this just how it's gonna be every year? We lose players left and right to the NBA and the portal. We lose one guy, Mitchell, b/c he can't shoot threes or something like that and then we lose a guy whose niche is shooting threes. I know I am oversimplifying, but it's very disappointing.
    We didn't lose or pick up anyone last year. But yeah, I would expect that even if Jon is killing it on roster building, we will lose 1-2 kids each year to the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kids without NBA futures should earn their Duke degree like Jaylen Blakes before transferring out.

Unless they're going to a similar caliber school academically and have a chance of starting. i.e ivy league schools / Stanford.
    Totally agree. This is why this transfer is so surprising. I had hopes from what little Iíd seen of him that he would be a contributor this year. And IIRC, I thought he loved Duke since his childhood days. Oh well. Best of luck to you young man!

Go Duke! 9f

I don't think this impacts Jon's get older strategy at all. Jaden was ranked, what, in the 60s? Realistically, with guys like Evans, K2, Harris coming to campus, Schutt was unlikely to ever see the court.

I've been saying let's temper expectations on Darren Harris. Others have been saying he will definitely play this year. He's one of those kids clearly playing above his ranking so I expect he'll rise even more when the next round of rankings come out. Low 30s. Possibly in the 20s.
    Love your optimism and enthusiasm for Jonís strategy. But I feel like we are in ďheads I win, tails you loseĒ territory now.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Love your optimism and enthusiasm for Jonís strategy. But I feel like we are in ďheads I win, tails you loseĒ territory now.
    I don't really understand your point. I for one expected all of Reeves, Blake's and Schutt to transfer this offseason. Because of Jon's success in recruiting, there just wasn't a path to playing time for any of these guys. I'm happy for all three. They should go to a school where they have the opportunity to crack the rotation. Basketball players want to play.

His transfer was highly predictable. As long we can successfully recruit over the lesser talents, the guys that donít see much chance at playing time until junior/senior year arenít gonna stay. I donít blame them since itís so easy now to move on and still play 3 years of college ball elsewhere.

I don't really understand your point. I for one expected all of Reeves, Blake's and Schutt to transfer this offseason. Because of Jon's success in recruiting, there just wasn't a path to playing time for any of these guys. I'm happy for all three. They should go to a school where they have the opportunity to crack the rotation. Basketball players want to play.
    Oh, my bad. I thought you were projecting Schutt to return. All though I still think losing guys like Reeves and Schutt works against your theory.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were projecting Schutt to return. All though I still think losing guys like Reeves and Schutt works against your theory.
    My theory is only this. That Jon is executing a strategy to get older by developing some/most of Foster, Power, Stewart, K2, Ngongba, Harris into junior/senior starters. All the other players are one-offs from this strategy for different reasons.

If Stewart doesn't come back this year, Jon can backfill his spot from the portal without recruiting over anyone. Same with Power. The strategy can still hold.