Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Israel and Iran

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    for those who haven't noticed, that was a Kabuki dance response by Iran. Told everyone what they were doing, sent an assortment of air garbage at Israel, like a few hundred Ford Fairlanes, seemingly no one was hurt. Face saving gesture, good time for this round to simply end.
    I wonder what the US would do if someone sent 300 warheads targetee at mainland USA? That behavior should never be tolerated,especially when the bad actor is the world's leading exporter of terrorism.

Doubt it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I wonder what the US would do if someone sent 300 warheads targetee at mainland USA? That behavior should never be tolerated,especially when the bad actor is the world's leading exporter of terrorism.

Doubt it ends.
    Completely agree. Israel must respond and defend itself. And I also agree it probably doesn't end anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Doubt it ends.
    Iran fired missiles at two bases in Iraq where US soldiers were stationed in 2020 in response to a US drone strike that killed Qasem Soleimani. Advanced warning of the missile attack was given and we did not retaliate because the State Department understands the game. Like now that attack was to keep casualties low (if not zero like 2020) but maximizes the demonstration. I would not be surprised if it comes out that this attack was also telegraphed. Unless Israel responds this chapter should be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Iran fired missiles at two bases in Iraq where US soldiers were stationed in 2020 in response to a US drone strike that killed Qasem Soleimani. Advanced warning of the missile attack was given and we did not retaliate because the State Department understands the game. Like now that attack was to keep casualties low (if not zero like 2020) but maximizes the demonstration. I would not be surprised if it comes out that this attack was also telegraphed. Unless Israel responds this chapter should be over.
    Easily said from 3,500 or so miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    for those who haven't noticed, that was a Kabuki dance response by Iran. Told everyone what they were doing, sent an assortment of air garbage at Israel, like a few hundred Ford Fairlanes, seemingly no one was hurt. Face saving gesture, good time for this round to simply end.
    Agree. I don’t think they intended to ignite a wider war right now. They needed to make some kind of showing, some sort of response to Israel’s attack on their embassy where those 2 guys were killed. But They know full well the capabilities of the Iron Dome and knew these rockets would not get through. The point was to save some sort of face and make it look like they did something challenging instead of doing nothing. But I think they knew they would not have any impact. Then they just stopped and said “ok the attack is concluded now!” Nobody does that if you have real intention to harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Easily said from 3,500 or so miles away.
    Not really. The White House and most of the G7 are signaling the same thing. The same from the Saudis, Qataris, and the Sunni nations. Those all have beef with Iran and would prefer it destabilized and all are calling for deescalation. Even Iran’s one real ally Russian has been silent. No one wants this outside of those looking for the literal Biblical Apocalypse (and maybe BiBi but the US said No. He’s fighting for his political life…again…and needs the hawks). My family’s ancestral home is about 75 miles from the Pakistani border. I’ve had exposure to this tit-for-tat all my life. Everyone wants to look powerful but no one wants to have that power tested.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 04-14-2024 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Agree. I don’t think they intended to ignite a wider war right now. They needed to make some kind of showing, some sort of response to Israel’s attack on their embassy where those 2 guys were killed. But They know full well the capabilities of the Iron Dome and knew these rockets would not get through. The point was to save some sort of face and make it look like they did something challenging instead of doing nothing. But I think they knew they would not have any impact. Then they just stopped and said “ok the attack is concluded now!” Nobody does that if you have real intention to harm.
    I doubt that anyone thinks that Iran has no “real intentions to harm”. Short or long term.

This time they just put on a direct show vs hiding behind the skirts of Hamas, Hezbollah or the Houthi.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I doubt that anyone thinks that Iran has no “real intentions to harm”. Short or long term.

This time they just put on a direct show vs hiding behind the skirts of Hamas, Hezbollah or the Houthi.
    If they fired 10 warheads at Isreal, maybe, not 300.

Thank God some people around here are not in charge of U.S. or Israeli policy. Though who knows what Bibi will do.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Israel's war cabinet delayed any action at their meeting tonight. Between that and Iran’s statements should turn down the heat for now.

Israel's war cabinet delayed any action at their meeting tonight. Between that and Iran’s statements should turn down the heat for now.
    Thanks, that’s great to hear.

The take today from Brett Stephens and Freidman is that Iran has been humiliated and shown to be weaker than anticipated. The story from Freidman of asking for a moment of silence at an Iranian soccer game for leaders killed by Israel is hilarious. The fans went nuts blowing airhorns, booing, cursing Iranian officials. Cautiously optimistic that the people will eventually drive out the clerics and bring Iran into the 21st century. If Bush 2 would have been more cautious we might have Saddam to help bring down Iran. Yes, I get that Saddam was a horrible human being, but he could have been useful to us in dealing with Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    The take today from Brett Stephens and Friedman is that Iran has been humiliated and shown to be weaker than anticipated. The story from Friedman of asking for a moment of silence at an Iranian soccer game for leaders killed by Israel is hilarious. The fans went nuts blowing airhorns, booing, cursing Iranian officials. Cautiously optimistic that the people will eventually drive out the clerics and bring Iran into the 21st century. If Bush 2 would have been more cautious we might have Saddam to help bring down Iran. Yes, I get that Saddam was a horrible human being, but he could have been useful to us in dealing with Iran.
    FIFY (as a fellow Friedman)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    The take today from Brett Stephens and Freidman is that Iran has been humiliated and shown to be weaker than anticipated. The story from Freidman of asking for a moment of silence at an Iranian soccer game for leaders killed by Israel is hilarious. The fans went nuts blowing airhorns, booing, cursing Iranian officials. Cautiously optimistic that the people will eventually drive out the clerics and bring Iran into the 21st century. If Bush 2 would have been more cautious we might have Saddam to help bring down Iran. Yes, I get that Saddam was a horrible human being, but he could have been useful to us in dealing with Iran.
    Saddam tried that, attacking Iran in I believe it was 1980. The ensuing war lasted 8 years and changed nothing, in the meantime costing untold number of deaths and approximately $1T in treasure. It did not go well. With the weaponry available to both sides now, including more advanced chemical weapons than the ones used in the 80s, I don't think such a war would go well for either side this time either.

Iran is the most malignant force in world politics today, but I really don't know how to achieve regime change there, realistically. It may just wait until the inevitable popular uprising, but those so far have been crushed mercilessly.

Saddam tried that, attacking Iran in I believe it was 1980. The ensuing war lasted 8 years and changed nothing, in the meantime costing untold number of deaths and approximately $1T in treasure. It did not go well. With the weaponry available to both sides now, including more advanced chemical weapons than the ones used in the 80s, I don't think such a war would go well for either side this time either.

Iran is the most malignant force in world politics today, but I really don't know how to achieve regime change there, realistically. It may just wait until the inevitable popular uprising, but those so far have been crushed mercilessly.
    Much like Isreal, Iran is surrounded by hostile forces (to them). Isreal unlike them was on the verge of a détente and recognization from those around it until Hamsa (backed by Iran) attacked. Iran has no interest in a direct and open conflict. It’s more than happy using proxies.

Dogs and cats living together.

Saudi Arabia publicly acknowledges role in defending Israel against Iranian attack

With Jordan that makes are least two that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I tend to be a cynic regarding peace in the Middle East but this is my tonic for hopelessness in times like these.

https://youtu.be/nU278yFdvgQ?si=nyRJUs3OeI6c8EXo
    The solution is political and religious. Something we won’t be allowed to discuss on here I imagine. Doesn’t help that the area is so heavily influenced by outside regimes.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

How to muck up regime change in one easy step.

1. Get the US Government involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How to muck up regime change in one easy step.

1. Get the US Government involved.
    Sadly accurate.

Dogs and cats living together.

Saudi Arabia publicly acknowledges role in defending Israel against Iranian attack

With Jordan that makes are least two that helped.
    The common denominator is they are allies of the US. Same with Japan and several of its neighbors.

Plenty of things to complain about with this country but its ability to have productive relationships around the world is something I admire.