Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He didn't kill them after simply going off in a spur of the moment blinding rage, he planned it.
    It's sad that he's been given this RIP thread, which have always been for celebrating those that left a meaningful impact on us. He didn't leave anything meaningful other than ruined lives.
    Iíve disagreed with a handful of RIP threads in the past and even got flamed for one of my comments in one. Just the nature of the beast.

The coffin fit!
    No soup for you!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This thread has a terrible, borderline irresponsible title and the responses have been going pretty much the way I had expected. It's particularly egregious because it's trying to be cute, but it just sounds like we're not sure that he's dead.

I've said in the past that I'd be a moderator if my only task was to fix the obituary headlines so that they follow this format:

OJ Simpson (1947-2024)

No sentiment at all. Newsworthy. This is a person who lived and died. Bring your own baggage to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Iíve disagreed with a handful of RIP threads in the past and even got flamed for one of my comments in one. Just the nature of the beast.
    I actually "reported" it basically as soon as this ill advised thread was posted, and yet it still stands as was. So much for the value of that report button.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, his death still saddens me. He was a heck of an athlete, and while still a young man, appeared to be a good guy. He certainly broke down a few racial barriers and during his playing days he smudged a few lines that should never have been there in the first place. Alas, he was caught up in the fame, celebrity, and entitlement of it all, and in the end, though the racial lines had been blurred, they are still with us. He ended up corrupted to his core. His story was a true triumph-to-tragedy saga. It saddens me that he died - like so many others - of cancer, and evidently before he could come to terms with the world and find a path to personal redemption. I'm not made happy by the news that OJ is no more. I mourn for what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, his death still saddens me. He was a heck of an athlete, and while still a young man, appeared to be a good guy. He certainly broke down a few racial barriers and during his playing days he smudged a few lines that should never have been there in the first place. Alas, he was caught up in the fame, celebrity, and entitlement of it all, and in the end, though the racial lines had been blurred, they are still with us. He ended up corrupted to his core. His story was a true triumph-to-tragedy saga. It saddens me that he died - like so many others - of cancer, and evidently before he could come to terms with the world and find a path to personal redemption. I'm not made happy by the news that OJ is no more. I mourn for what could have been.
    The first step to finding a path to personal redemption would have been to acknowledge what he did and apologize to all those affected by it, and to exhibit true remorse. He never did any of that, and he had over 25 years in which to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The first step to finding a path to personal redemption would have been to acknowledge what he did and apologize to all those affected by it, and to exhibit true remorse. He never did any of that, and he had over 25 years in which to do so.
    I agree, but there's no time limit on admitting you were wrong, except the one he just hit. He was such a transcendent athlete, I thought maybe something inherent in that part of him might eventually help him overcome. Alas, the message never got through.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Iíll continue to mourn for his children. They deserved a much better father. Hard to imagine they can fully adjust from the horrible childhood their dad created for them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/detroit/...n-cause-fires/

Ford Bronco issued a pretty big recall today. And that is not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    So many great norm Macdonald jokes come to mind
    https://youtu.be/NaiaTdIQ-wQ?si=ObjefOTAAWcq9ZPM

Here you go. Iíd forgotten how relentlessly unapologetic he was.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    https://youtu.be/NaiaTdIQ-wQ?si=ObjefOTAAWcq9ZPM

Here you go. Iíd forgotten how relentlessly unapologetic he was.
    And the reason he believes he was fired from SNL

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Yep. No RIP from me. I prefer BIH for him.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It's possible that he did find personal redemption, and I hope that he did so privately. I don't wish Hell on anybody and I don't presume to stand in judgment. I understand that that's a long shot, and one would think that if he had confessed his sins privately, he might have reached out to the Goldman family. I also understand that I'm in the minority here. To make it clear, I agree that he was certainly guilty, and it's a travesty that he avoided criminal consequences for his extremely heinous crimes.

DBR Attorney Team,

Please educate me on how and why this is even possible? If you have a civil judgment, then how hard is it to get a court order demanding payment?

ďAlthough the Brown and Goldman families have pushed for payment, LaVergne said there was never a court order forcing Simpson to pay the civil judgment.Ē

https://apple.news/AiwstwpXxRjqEc-UrpjFYjg

ďThe Brown and Goldman families then brought a civil suit against Simpson. In 1997, a jury in Santa Monica found him liable for the deaths, and he was ordered to pay the families more than $30 million in damages. Simpson responded by giving up his Brentwood estate and moving to Florida, in large part to evade paying the civil judgment.Ē

https://apple.news/AzWT3Ar5CSN-Y8p6VPB3lnw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    DBR Attorney Team,

Please educate me on how and why this is even possible? If you have a civil judgment, then how hard is it to get a court order demanding payment?

ďAlthough the Brown and Goldman families have pushed for payment, LaVergne said there was never a court order forcing Simpson to pay the civil judgment.Ē

https://apple.news/AiwstwpXxRjqEc-UrpjFYjg

ďThe Brown and Goldman families then brought a civil suit against Simpson. In 1997, a jury in Santa Monica found him liable for the deaths, and he was ordered to pay the families more than $30 million in damages. Simpson responded by giving up his Brentwood estate and moving to Florida, in large part to evade paying the civil judgment.Ē

https://apple.news/AzWT3Ar5CSN-Y8p6VPB3lnw
    IANAL. Florida law doesnít allow the seizure of a home or a pension for civil lawsuits. The FL home and his NFL pension where off limits and thatís all he had after Iím sure his other assets where moved around or liquidated. The Brentwood estate probably had a mortgage so the bank took it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    IANAL. Florida law doesnít allow the seizure of a home or a pension for civil lawsuits. The FL home and his NFL pension where off limits and thatís all he had after Iím sure his other assets where moved around or liquidated. The Brentwood estate probably had a mortgage so the bank took it over.
    Thanks, I see how OJ worked that angle. But, why was there never a court order forcing Simpson to pay the civil judgment? OJís lame NFL pension (25 years ago) could not pay for his lifestyle (home, cars, travel, etc.). His Florida home would have been expensive to operate.

Thanks, I see how OJ worked that angle. But, why was there never a court order forcing Simpson to pay the civil judgment? OJ’s lame NFL pension (25 years ago) could not pay for his lifestyle (home, cars, travel, etc.). His Florida home would have been expensive to operate.
    I believe there was. He paid $133,000 probably from sources that could be garnished. The NFL pension was between $5000-$10,500 a month and he did spend five years in jail. Plus whatever he got from Social Security and the pension from the Screen Actors Guild. That's somewhere around $100,000-160,000 a year. That goes a long way during the 2000s and 2010s.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 04-15-2024 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    The coffin fit!
    That Bill Hicks-level incendiary humor right there! 🔥

Yes it was foreclosed upon and sold at auction.

I believe there was. He paid $133,000 probably from sources that could be garnished. The NFL pension was between $5000-$10,500 a month and he did spend five years in jail. Plus whatever he got from Social Security and the pension from the Screen Actors Guild. That's somewhere around $100,000-160,000 a year. That goes a long way during the 2000s and 2010s.
    Thank you, very much!

Do you know where he got the money to pay for his Vegas attorney(s)? I suspect they wanted a substantial flat fee up front? Or, did he have a public defender?

Thank you, very much!

Do you know where he got the money to pay for his Vegas attorney(s)? I suspect they wanted a substantial flat fee up front? Or, did he have a public defender?
    Private counsel, an attorney who had been representing him on various matters for years.

It was a strange circumstance, as if I recall correctly that attorney was with Simpson on the day of the robbery and had discussed with him his plans to retrieve the property. Kinda makes him at least a potential witness in the case, but the appeal on that basis was denied.