Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Apologies if this derails from the focus of this thread, but if you're talking about a possible Flagg-Stewart-Maluach front court, I just don't see any advantages to that over a Flagg-Mitchell-Maluach front court. Both of those lineups are defensive monsters that lack outside shooting, but Mitchell at least offered an ability to slash to the hoop off the dribble that Stewart just doesn't have. And for all his shooting flaws, Mitchell hit 27.5% of his threes (42% in conference play) to Stewart's zero.

My point being--if the idea all along was for Flagg to play the 3 (something that's being debated ad nauseum), then I'd have preferred to keep Mitchell too.
    I am really disappointed to lose Mark. Sometime in December or January, when I have seen the new guys play and once I have a good idea of their respective games, I think I will be able to fully digest this. I saw Flagg play a bit in the McDonald's game, but other than that, I don't know what all of the new guys bring to the table. It is hard to say if Mark would have been the odd man out, for me, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Mark was rehabbing last summer. He was injured in the next-to-last game of 2023 and didn't play against Tennessee. He had surgery after that and was held back from practicing for a while. I suspect that greatly limited his ability to rework his shot.
    My problem with this is that Mark has had his whole high school career and two years at Duke to rework his shot. This was like a three month time period? I mean, it was so bad, why not rework it during the season and maybe it would have looked better in March?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Calipari at Arkansas might be a potential landing spot for him. Especially since Bazile isn't coming back.
    Was thinking the same thing. I don't know I feel about this if it happens. I can't stand Cal

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    I wish Mark all the best. I think he could have been a useful glue guy for us. I don't, however, think he's ever going to be a star college player or make it to the NBA and that's probably a hard pill to swallow.
    Yes - - not only for Mark but some of his fans here

This is too bad. I was a big fan of Mitchell and will miss him. He seems like a really nice guy and great teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I am really disappointed to lose Mark. Sometime in December or January, when I have seen the new guys play and once I have a good idea of their respective games, I think I will be able to fully digest this. I saw Flagg play a bit in the McDonald's game, but other than that, I don't know what all of the new guys bring to the table. It is hard to say if Mark would have been the odd man out, for me, at this point.

My problem with this is that Mark has had his whole high school career and two years at Duke to rework his shot. This was like a three month time period? I mean, it was so bad, why not rework it during the season and maybe it would have looked better in March?
    I would imagine he’s been shooting a basketball since he was a small child. Do you really think it’s that easy to “rework” your shot?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I would imagine he’s been shooting a basketball since he was a small child. Do you really think it’s that easy to “rework” your shot?
    I would say that it’s really hard. And I hate to date myself, but I remember when I was in junior high Johnny Wooden tried to rework the shot of a player named Edgar Lacey. He never found a new stroke and couldn’t recover the old one so he just couldn’t shoot at all.

It definitely becomes harder the longer you don't attempt to improve an obvious weakness. For Mark it will be extremely difficult, but I would say well worth it in the long run. Lots and lots of hard work and reps during the summer and it can be improved.

I wish Mark well and hope he does continue to improve his all around game. He was a great teammate and a great representative for Duke.

This is with no inside knowledge and purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if that’s what happened with Mitchell in the off season, they tried to change his shot, it didn’t take and Mitchell not only didn’t feel comfortable with the new shot, he lost confidence in his old shot.
    Which could explain why he started his second year less confident in his shot than he did his first year.
    And the family’s unhappiness with Duke is related to this as they felt that the staff’s tinkering with his shot messed him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This is with no inside knowledge and purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if that’s what happened with Mitchell in the off season, they tried to change his shot, it didn’t take and Mitchell not only didn’t feel comfortable with the new shot, he lost confidence in his old shot.
    Which could explain why he started his second year less confident in his shot than he did his first year.
    And the family’s unhappiness with Duke is related to this as they felt that the staff’s tinkering with his shot messed him up.
    I had this same thought when Mark started the year shooting 11% from 3 or whatever it was.

It's almost like Mark could really benefit from a "gap year" of strength training and working on his shot. If he could create a reliable, high-volume 35-38% 3-point stroke, it could create generational wealth for his family..

Late to the reaction party. From the basketball standpoint, this decision makes sense for Duke. Duke is going to rely heavily on Cooper Flagg's ability to penetrate with his dribble and get in the paint, where he can do damage with his high level decision making ability. It would not make sense to have too many non shooters on the floor clogging things up.

It also makes a lot of sense for Mark Mitchell. He is still a very valuable college player, and whatever team gets him is going to get a veteran, big, physical wing who can at times take over games if he has the size or quickness advantage on his matchups. He deserves to do his thing on a team that can feature him more, with teammates who can space the floor around him. Let us pray that team is not UConn. Or Kentucky. And especially not UNC.

From the non-basketball standpoint, it hurts to lose a veteran of this Duke program and a great kid with a wonderful attitude. Wish him nothing but the best, and I truly hope he does figure out his jumper, because it would make such a major difference for his NBA prospects.
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-09-2024 at 06:56 PM.

I just saw that this year Mark’s free throw percentage went down from 76.3% to 62.3%, so the problem with his shooting isn’t just from distance. I hope he can fix it wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's an interesting thought. I suppose I should go back to the start of the season and watch Mark's shots to see if he was trying to put more arc on his shots, both FGAs and FTAs.

I hope that wasn't what made his family unhappy, that's what coaches are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Sad but this was probably best for all involved. Any guesses on what kind of program he ends up at? Thank you for your contributions, Mark.
    One that covets a 5-star upper-class-man. In other words, everyone. Meanwhile Duke needs to get older via the portal. Or do we need more OAD freshmen to replace our 5-star upper-class-men. I’m having trouble keeping up.

No, which is why he should have gotten started yesterday.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

So we should have said no to Cooper Flagg? And you do realize Mark was wanting to leave for the NBA eventually too right? And you do realize that recruiting is a multi year process?
    Cooper is a natural 3. His mom said so.

Calipari reportedly has $5-$6M in NIL dollars to reconstruct the totally blank canvas at Arky. I’d be surprised if MM’s rep doesn’t at least get a call.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Calipari reportedly has $5-$6M in NIL dollars to reconstruct the totally blank canvas at Arky. I’d be surprised if MM’s rep doesn’t at least get a call.
    MM and Seth Trimble to AR. Funny, not funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    No, which is why he should have gotten started yesterday.
    Someone said he should have done it during the season lol. I think realistically it could take years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elev8ion View Post
    It's an interesting thought. I suppose I should go back to the start of the season and watch Mark's shots to see if he was trying to put more arc on his shots, both FGAs and FTAs.

I hope that wasn't what made his family unhappy, that's what coaches are for.
    I didn't see any indication that Mark was attempting to change his shooting form. Clearly it was in Mark's interest and also would have been a plus for the team if he could have successfully improved his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    MM and Seth Trimble to AR. Funny, not funny...
    UK also going to be building next years team from the portal. Gotta put both Arky and UK down as 2 realistic landing spots for MM.