Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I mean, maybe? No one for sure knows how Mark would have developed over the off season. I just offered up another scenario that you left out. That a kid “bets” on himself and works hard in the program he is in.
    Yeah, it's a scenario. But it's good that Mark has the option to bet on himself right away in a roster situation that affords him more opportunity.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yes, but if our recruits also transfer at higher rates, we'll need to compensate with larger classes. No gain, I suggest.
    I'd prefer to compensate with proven players in the Portal rather than "Who knows how they will develop high school recruits."

Granted the Portal may never be an option for Duke, in which case larger class size might be our only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    No surprise.

No space for him next year.

Was a real liability on offence against the best teams.

Hope he can work on his outside shot, but it’s always going to be an uphill struggle in terms of shooting for him.
    Exactly. I wish him the best.
    But I feel a sense of relief that we won’t be in the rotation next year, as I feel he was a real handicap to our team this year at times.

Quote Originally Posted by BG05 View Post
    I think, rather, that it is a bad thing for Duke that he was put in a position where he basically needed to transfer out. If you want to build experience, maybe don't recruit over your existing players.
    I strongly disagree. There is no such thing as “recruiting over” players. Playing time is earned each and every day during practice, games, off season workouts, in the weight room…

The coaching staff has to go out and recruit the best players available. It has always been that way but it the portal era it is paramount.
    Bob Green

Such a bummer...a reality of the new college basketball landscape...one that we'll have to get used to or go crazy...but a bummer nonetheless.

Mark, thanks for all your hard work, gutty play, and for representing Duke in the most positive way possible.

-I was thrilled whenever your line drive 3-pointers found the bottom of the net.
    -I loved watching you guard in space, especially keeping quick guards in front of you and frustrating them with your wingspan
    -I screamed when you hit that corner 3 to seal the game against Notre Dame, Mike Brey's CIS farewell and K's first time watching a game at home since retiring
    -I appreciated it when your Dad was popping off on social media and you calmly said, "That's his opinion, not mine"
    -I noticed that you logged an impressive number of KenPom "Game MVPs" this year
    -I smiled at your unpredictability during Duke social media interviews, your takes were always quirky

Good luck, kid, and thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    One thing I’ve been completely baffled about with Mark is why he didn’t take this last summer to rebuild his shot. There are some incredible shot doctors out there, and not having a shot in today’s game is very tough. I have not seen anybody. Ask about it or talk about it, which feels weird.
    He plays good defense rebounds well, but there are very few people of Mitchell’s size in the NBA if zero that can’t shoot from the perimeter or finish at the rim with contact. Calipari might sign him up at Arkansas. I see Sean Stewart advancing his skill set as a 4 PF. Perhaps a good portal recruit.

Good luck Mark, wherever you transfer to. But please don't transfer within a 30 mile radius of Duke/Durham.

You brought us many outstanding moments and helped us to many, many victories. May your future be so bright you're gonna need shades!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Fact is if Mark was an honest shooter we probally beat NC State and hes probally going pro after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    I'd prefer to compensate with proven players in the Portal rather than "Who knows how they will develop high school recruits."

Granted the Portal may never be an option for Duke, in which case larger class size might be our only option.
    Do you mean proven players like Pete Nance and Dawson Garcia? Given the amount of transfers, I would be shocked that the hit rate on transfers is higher than that of top 30 recruits.

I'm bummed that Mark is transferring but I agree with others that it could be a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Do you mean proven players like Pete Nance and Dawson Garcia? Given the amount of transfers, I would be shocked that the hit rate on transfers is higher than that of top 30 recruits.

I'm bummed that Mark is transferring but I agree with others that it could be a win-win.
    The hit rate on top 30 recruits playing a major role at the same school where they were recruited 2-3 years down the line? Or immediate impact in first year? Either way, I'd be shocked if top 30 transfers aren't much more productive than top 30 recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    The hit rate on top 30 recruits playing a major role at the same school where they were recruited 2-3 years down the line? Or immediate impact in first year? Either way, I'd be shocked if top 30 transfers aren't much more productive than top 30 recruits.
    Yeah but there's a big fundamental difference. A program bringing in top 30 recruits can do well with a hit-rate of 50% 2-3 years down the road (the best go NBA, the worst transfer out or come off the bench). A program bringing in a top 30 transfer as a starter can have a season crushed if they miss on that player (see Pete Nance).

There is an advantage to having good players in your system for multiple years...

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post

Ian was advocating smaller classes so we were less likely to "recruit over" existing players. I was pointing out a possible problem with that approach -- that our "smaller classes" may vanish if our recruits also transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Yeah but there's a big fundamental difference. A program bringing in top 30 recruits can do well with a hit-rate of 50% 2-3 years down the road (the best go NBA, the worst transfer out or come off the bench). A program bringing in a top 30 transfer as a starter can have a season crushed if they miss on that player (see Pete Nance).

There is an advantage to having good players in your system for multiple years...
    While I am far too uninterested to put the effort into researching it, I doubt freshmanjs is correct. Duke has done very well with Top 30 recruits. The past two seasons (small sample) Duke has hit on 75% and 50%. This doesn't even account for what Sky brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Not going to look up the stats but Duke transfers very rarely end up in the NBA but Duke role players who stay the four years have a better chance.

I hope Mark proves me wrong.
    Duke role players that stay all four years and either have their roles gradually expand or see their minutes go up and max out probably do.

Some examples where it worked out:
    Lance Thomas
    Quinn Cook

An example where it didn't:
    Javin Delaurier

It's difficult to see how a Duke player that has his minutes diminished would actually raise his potential NBA value.

Semi Ojeleye is the last transfer from Duke I can think of that had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA. And Rodney Hood who of course transferred TO Duke had a pretty solid NBA career. So transferring can work out.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    He plays good defense rebounds well, but there are very few people of Mitchell’s size in the NBA if zero that can’t shoot from the perimeter or finish at the rim with contact. Calipari might sign him up at Arkansas. I see Sean Stewart advancing his skill set as a 4 PF. Perhaps a good portal recruit.
    Apologies if this derails from the focus of this thread, but if you're talking about a possible Flagg-Stewart-Maluach front court, I just don't see any advantages to that over a Flagg-Mitchell-Maluach front court. Both of those lineups are defensive monsters that lack outside shooting, but Mitchell at least offered an ability to slash to the hoop off the dribble that Stewart just doesn't have. And for all his shooting flaws, Mitchell hit 27.5% of his threes (42% in conference play) to Stewart's zero.

My point being--if the idea all along was for Flagg to play the 3 (something that's being debated ad nauseum), then I'd have preferred to keep Mitchell too.

Best of luck to Mark in developing a more reliable outside shot and I hope he makes it to the NBA someday.

Knee injury

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    One thing I’ve been completely baffled about with Mark is why he didn’t take this last summer to rebuild his shot. There are some incredible shot doctors out there, and not having a shot in today’s game is very tough. I have not seen anybody. Ask about it or talk about it, which feels weird.
    Mark was rehabbing last summer. He was injured in the next-to-last game of 2023 and didn't play against Tennessee. He had surgery after that and was held back from practicing for a while. I suspect that greatly limited his ability to rework his shot.

Best of Luck to Mark

I am disappointed but not surprised by Mark's decision. I wish him all the luck in the future. He was a real warrior for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Apologies if this derails from the focus of this thread, but if you're talking about a possible Flagg-Stewart-Maluach front court, I just don't see any advantages to that over a Flagg-Mitchell-Maluach front court. Both of those lineups are defensive monsters that lack outside shooting, but Mitchell at least offered an ability to slash to the hoop off the dribble that Stewart just doesn't have. And for all his shooting flaws, Mitchell hit 27.5% of his threes (42% in conference play) to Stewart's zero.

My point being--if the idea all along was for Flagg to play the 3 (something that's being debated ad nauseum), then I'd have preferred to keep Mitchell too.
    Conversely, Stewart will grab a ton more rebounds, particularly on the offensive end, which can lead to a lot of open 3s from our shooters, he also can finish at the rim much better than Mitchell, who got blocked 5 times by James Madison.

I wish Mark all the best. I think he could have been a useful glue guy for us. I don't, however, think he's ever going to be a star college player or make it to the NBA and that's probably a hard pill to swallow.