Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 251
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The 'burbs of Cary
    I'm really going to miss Mark's defense, infectious smile, and energy on the court. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up - thanks, Mark!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Unfortunate news, but not surprising. With Flagg coming in, it was going to be a weird fit. I hope it's the last of the transfer portal guys, but I won't be surprised if it isn't.

    Mitchell had such a strange year. Last year, he was the classic "coach's dream" of a player: did all the things he does well, never did any of the things he didn't do well. Very dependable. This year, he was a better player overall, but less predictable.

    Very sad to see him go. We'll be very inexperienced next year (and unbelievably inexperienced in the frontcourt) unless we add from the portal. Which makes sense as to why we're exploring that market.

    Best wishes to Mitchell though. Hopefully he finds a better fit for him.

  3. #23
    Thanks Mark for being such a positive energy and fun player to watch. It wasnít always perfect, but then again who is? Will root for you wherever you go.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    His other considerations out of high school were Kansas Missouri Arkansas and Ucla.

    https://247sports.com/player/mark-mi...school-266991/

    I could see Kansas being a fit here. Godspeed, Mark, and thanks for two good years.
    From Kansas, played HS ball there. I think that at one point his senior year KU was thought the leader to land him.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    This is a situation where the current portal structure works out for the player and the program.

    At the beginning of the season it is highly likely that Jon and Mark were operating under the assumption that his 2nd year would be his last at Duke before jumping to NBA aspirations. For program continuity Jon obviously had to make plans for the following season which involved the likes of the talented Cooper Flagg and the scoring wing Evans. With Mark's skill set not developing out as hoped those NBA aspirations for now have dimmed. If the old transfer system were still in place this would put Mark in a very tough spot. Either he would have to see his role dramatically diminished as a Junior in favor of a more talented and dynamic freshman, OR he would have to sit out an entire year for an opportunity elsewhere, OR he would have to take the risk and lose his eligibility and look towards the D league.

    Instead, Mark has a great opportunity to roll with the cards that have been dealt and find a better fit for himself elsewhere. I'm very happy for him that he has this option.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

  6. #26
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs15 View Post
    warning, hot take: Mark not fitting would suggest issue with roster construction
    A reasonable take, but one Iíd disagree with given that all indications were Mark expected to be going pro in 1 or 2 years (by all accounts he seriously considered it last year). If that is what was communicated between Mark and the staff Jon did what he had to by recruiting as if Mark would be gone in Fall 2024. All thatís changed is how heís leaving.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    IMO, Mark will excel in a more up tempo offensive system, where he can get out on the wing, run and demonstrate his athleticism. His game is not suited for half court sets. He needs to improve his handle, his right hand and his jump shot if he plans to take his game to the NBA. Gaining some strength and being able to finish through contact will help as well.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    I hate this, but I've never been happy to see a guy transfer out.

    Thanks for two Blue Devil seasons, Mark. I'll miss you, but certainly hope you land somewhere that continues to develop your considerable talents. Hope the NBA calls.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    IMO, Mark will excel in a more up tempo offensive system, where he can get out on the wing, run and demonstrate his athleticism. His game is not suited for half court sets. He needs to improve his handle, his right hand and his jump shot if he plans to take his game to the NBA. Gaining some strength and being able to finish through contact will help as well.
    This is a great take. Wendell Moore made a big leap between his sophomore and junior seasons. It's doable for Mark.

  10. #30
    I feel sad that Mark is transfering, but not really surprised. Having Flagg. Evans, Stewart, and Power in the front court next season( fingers crossed) was gonna mean at least one, and probably more, weíre going to have to make some kind of decision. Good luck Mark wherever you land. And thanks for a great two years!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    This is a situation where the current portal structure works out for the player and the program.

    At the beginning of the season it is highly likely that Jon and Mark were operating under the assumption that his 2nd year would be his last at Duke before jumping to NBA aspirations. For program continuity Jon obviously had to make plans for the following season which involved the likes of the talented Cooper Flagg and the scoring wing Evans. With Mark's skill set not developing out as hoped those NBA aspirations for now have dimmed. If the old transfer system were still in place this would put Mark in a very tough spot. Either he would have to see his role dramatically diminished as a Junior in favor of a more talented and dynamic freshman, OR he would have to sit out an entire year for an opportunity elsewhere, OR he would have to take the risk and lose his eligibility and look towards the D league.

    Instead, Mark has a great opportunity to roll with the cards that have been dealt and find a better fit for himself elsewhere. I'm very happy for him that he has this option.
    Or the player stays and improves and heads off to the NBA after the season.

    But good luck to Mark. I do think itís the best decision for him.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Or the player stays and improves and heads off to the NBA after the season.

    But good luck to Mark. I do think itís the best decision for him.
    Yet, in that situation he would be looking to improve by playing a lesser role. That is quite the paradox to relegate a kid to.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Or the player stays and improves and heads off to the NBA after the season.

    But good luck to Mark. I do think itís the best decision for him.
    Not going to look up the stats but Duke transfers very rarely end up in the NBA but Duke role players who stay the four years have a better chance.

    I hope Mark proves me wrong.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

  14. #34

    Mitchell

    Commentators on this Board: We can't win the NCAAs with a bunch of freshman. We need experience.

    Also, commentators on this Board: it is a good thing that Mitchell is transferring out.

    I think, rather, that it is a bad thing for Duke that he was put in a position where he basically needed to transfer out. If you want to build experience, maybe don't recruit over your existing players.

  15. #35
    I'm sorry to see Mark go and thought he could have been the perfect swiss army knife type of player. But he obviously struggled with confidence issues at a couple of points of this season and maybe a fresh start is best. While it would be fun to see him wind up at a place like Gonzaga, I kind of hope he might go to a smaller school where he can be the man. Best of luck to him.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    I always felt he was the type of player every team needs to reach its potential. I'm hoping I'm wrong or someone else fills the void of his energy and effort.

    Mark - your time here was greatly appreciated and I hope you are successful in whatever your future holds.

  17. #37
    I subscribe to the idea that this was best for both sides. Mark wasn't guaranteed to start at Duke. And I think Duke would have had a very hard time keeping Mark, TJ and Sean. Now Mark should be one of the top guys in the portal and can pick a landing spot that will hopefully help develop him for the NBA. And Duke can develop two guys who will hopefully be big contributors this season and then AllACC starters as juniors and maybe seniors...

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by BG05 View Post
    Commentators on this Board: We can't win the NCAAs with a bunch of freshman. We need experience.

    Also, commentators on this Board: it is a good thing that Mitchell is transferring out.

    I think, rather, that it is a bad thing for Duke that he was put in a position where he basically needed to transfer out. If you want to build experience, maybe don't recruit over your existing players.
    Or, maybe don't tell your coach that you will stay "only one more year" when you will need 2-3? Scheyer quite possibly recruited on expectations that Mark was leaving. Except, of course, everyone would go after Flagg, regardless of vacancies.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I always felt he was the type of player every team needs to reach its potential. I'm hoping I'm wrong or someone else fills the void of his energy and effort.

    Mark - your time here was greatly appreciated and I hope you are successful in whatever your future holds.
    Yes. Ironically, Mark is the type of player I always wished we would get in the portal.
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    This is a situation where the current portal structure works out for the player and the program.

    At the beginning of the season it is highly likely that Jon and Mark were operating under the assumption that his 2nd year would be his last at Duke before jumping to NBA aspirations. For program continuity Jon obviously had to make plans for the following season which involved the likes of the talented Cooper Flagg and the scoring wing Evans. With Mark's skill set not developing out as hoped those NBA aspirations for now have dimmed. If the old transfer system were still in place this would put Mark in a very tough spot. Either he would have to see his role dramatically diminished as a Junior in favor of a more talented and dynamic freshman, OR he would have to sit out an entire year for an opportunity elsewhere, OR he would have to take the risk and lose his eligibility and look towards the D league.

    Instead, Mark has a great opportunity to roll with the cards that have been dealt and find a better fit for himself elsewhere. I'm very happy for him that he has this option.
    Great perspective, 100% agree.

Similar Threads

  1. Mark Mitchellís father is upset
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 01-10-2024, 06:58 PM
  2. Mark Mitchell returning too
    By freshmanjs in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 04-21-2023, 11:49 AM
  3. Mark Mitchell injury?
    By Kfanarmy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-27-2023, 09:26 PM
  4. Welcome to Duke, Mark Mitchell!
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-13-2021, 10:12 AM
  5. Transfers/Grad Transfers 2018/2019
    By Dukebasketball2020 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •