Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 181
  1. #41
    It makes me sad to see Jeremy go. He had a really great career at Duke and a super senior year. I would hate to have to root against him if he transfers, so will be hoping for a good pro opportunity for him. Thanks for everything Jeremy!

  2. #42
    Adam Zagoria says Arkansas, Kentucky, and St John’s are 3 favorites for Roach.

    Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Adam Zagoria says Arkansas, Kentucky, and St John’s are 3 favorites for Roach.

    Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!
    Oh my Lord. That’s horrible!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    I was worried that Jeremy would be playing in a different uniform next year, and the Brotherhood telecast seemed to confirm his decision.

    Pope, Calipari, and Pitino are probably whispering to him that the have the secret sauce that can convert him into a seamless blend of Donovan Mitchell, Trae Young, Darius Garland, & Steph Curry.

    Fingers crossed--I hope it happens, though if that were to happen (or if he just improved another 10%), I'd prefer he did it in Cameron.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Adam Zagoria says Arkansas, Kentucky, and St John’s are 3 favorites for Roach.

    Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!
    Looks like he doesn't want to play school anymore and wants to be paid.

  6. #46
    I’m just baffled. Never imagined we’d have a guy like Jer transfer. 4 year starter? Captain? PG? Maybe he’ll just go pro.

    I would think he’d get plenty of minutes… 80 minutes for 3 guards.

    Doesn’t Duke have any NIL money?

    Is it just about not getting enough shots?

    Completely baffled. Never in my 35ish years of Duke fandom could I have fathomed this, and doubly so as someone who wishes I could have been at Duke even longer than my four years.

    Good luck to Jer, but hard to really be thinking that right now for me.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Looks like he doesn't want to play school anymore and wants to be paid.
    Come the eff on, my dude.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Looks like he doesn't want to play school anymore and wants to be paid.
    I think this is the "thank you" thread. The snark thread is on another site. But I do like the creativity of two slightly different digs in one sentence ("play school" and "wants to be paid").

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I’m just baffled. Never imagined we’d have a guy like Jer transfer. 4 year starter? Captain? PG? Maybe he’ll just go pro.

    I would think he’d get plenty of minutes… 80 minutes for 3 guards.

    Doesn’t Duke have any NIL money?

    Is it just about not getting enough shots?

    Completely baffled. Never in my 35ish years of Duke fandom could I have fathomed this, and doubly so as someone who wishes I could have been at Duke even longer than my four years.

    Good luck to Jer, but hard to really be thinking that right now for me.
    FWIW, Jeremy sweated for 4 years, led the transition for Scheyer, and is presumably going to graduate in May. Without him, Duke basketball would CLEARLY be in a worse place. We may not think that those 3 schools are particularly academic, but--if those are actually his top 3 choices at the moment--I don't think it's a bad idea for him to work with coaches/schools with a track record of working with future pros. That wouldn't be a slap at Duke but a fresh start with presumably a somewhat different role on a team that will presumably have fewer first round draft picks than next year's Duke team. I'd love for him to decide to stick around--I don't think he's done anything to preclude a return and there should be minutes available--but I'll still be a Jeremy Roach fan as long as he doesn't play in the baby blue.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-16-2024 at 11:00 PM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I think this is the "thank you" thread. The snark thread is on another site. But I do like the creativity of two slightly different digs in one sentence ("play school" and "wants to be paid").



    FWIW, Jeremy sweated for 4 years, led the transition for Scheyer, and is presumably going to graduate in May. Without him, Duke basketball would be in a worse place. We may not think that those 3 schools are particularly academic, but--if those are actually his top 3 choices at the moment--I don't think it's a bad idea for him to work with coaches/schools with a track record of working with future pros.
    I’d take Jon’s last ten or so years of pros over any other coach in college basketball.

    I’m just… confused. And a bit let down as a fan, to be honest. A senior captain transferring? Just… bizarre to me.

  10. #50

    Thank you Jeremy

    We were lucky to have you at Duke for four years and five was a big ask.

    I hope you find the perfect situation for next year whether it is college or pro. Personally I think sharing the 80 minutes amongst 2 other guards at Duke and with the other talent may be the perfect fit.

    In any case, thanks again and best of luck.

    SoCal

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I’d take Jon’s last ten or so years of pros over any other coach in college basketball.

    I’m just… confused. And a bit let down as a fan, to be honest. A senior captain transferring? Just… bizarre to me.
    Anyone who doesn't understand this post is a robot. This is a reasonable and legitimate reaction from a long time fan of Duke basketball.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This one stings, but was probably decided alongside Tyrese and Caleb returning. As much as we could’ve dreamed, it was never realistic for all three of those guys to return for two starting spots.

    Here’s hoping Jeremy gets some interesting feedback that keeps him in the draft, because seeing him in another uniform will hurt. That said, we survived it with Jordan Goldwire and survived it for Joey Baker… neither of those guys comes close to Jeremy, obviously, but this is the reality of the COVID year.

    We should remember that this was already a bonus year of Jeremy… we operated under the assumption for most of 2022-23 that Jeremy was back for one more year before turning pro. Obviously that changed, and for the better. But I imagine Jon and the staff always assumed this was Jeremy’s last year.

    Jeremy, you will go down in Duke lore as the bridge between K and Scheyer. No one else can say that. Go be great.
    Indeed: The bridge.

  13. #53
    A really fine Duke basketball player. Always think of him in a Duke uniform.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I’d take Jon’s last ten or so years of pros over any other coach in college basketball.

    I’m just… confused. And a bit let down as a fan, to be honest. A senior captain transferring? Just… bizarre to me.
    I don't think it's a question about Scheyer's coaching chops or Jeremy's happiness at Duke--I think it's about how Jeremy sees his future. He's in a spot that most of us would kill for, but he's also in a bind: he's seen a whole bunch of his friends come to Duke for a year or two and go to the NBA. He has played very hard for 4 years, worked very hard at school, and he now has this one chance... maybe he'll get paid more next year at a different school, or maybe he hopes that a different atmosphere or coaching style will get him evaluated more highly by the NBA. I was kinda hoping that he'd come back, have a great season, lead us to a NC, etc, but I don't begrudge him anything. Plus, most of us leave after 4 years; it's a natural transition time. My hunch is that the coaching staff knew about this decision 6 months ago and prepared for it.

    Most importantly, I don't necessarily think he should do what would make me most happy.

    As was once said in reference to a different court: if you are sent to heaven for following your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not following mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Anyone who doesn't understand this post is a robot. This is a reasonable and legitimate reaction from a long time fan of Duke basketball.
    Shoot, I'm outed.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-16-2024 at 11:25 PM.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Pretty weak move by Roach if he transfers. I don’t see the upside at all vs returning and presumably leading a talented young class. Vs transferring to Arkansas? I’m not agreeing with most on this thread and think this is a poor choice and short sighted.

  16. #56
    At first glance, this one seems like it has to be an NIL decision, but overall it's a little confusing to me. If he stays, Roach would be a starter on a top tier program projected to be #1 in the country next year, and I don't see where being the leading scorer on St. John's, or a similar program, really elevates his draft stock. I don't see him going on to be a featured scorer at somewhere like...Kansas or Kentucky(yikes)? Any thoughts on what would be the ideal situation? Definitely disappointed, but I'm glad we got to enjoy him for 4 years!

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I’m just baffled. Never imagined we’d have a guy like Jer transfer. 4 year starter? Captain? PG? Maybe he’ll just go pro.

    I would think he’d get plenty of minutes… 80 minutes for 3 guards.

    Doesn’t Duke have any NIL money?

    Is it just about not getting enough shots?

    Completely baffled. Never in my 35ish years of Duke fandom could I have fathomed this, and doubly so as someone who wishes I could have been at Duke even longer than my four years.

    Good luck to Jer, but hard to really be thinking that right now for me.
    Covid, Covid year; players at his position that are 2-3 younger, have great size and talent and must play 30 mins a game.and, no, with the all- court Cooper Flagg in the game, we aren't p²laying three guards.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    At first glance, this one seems like it has to be an NIL decision, but overall it's a little confusing to me. If he stays, Roach would be a starter on a top tier program projected to be #1 in the country next year, and I don't see where being the leading scorer on St. John's, or a similar program, really elevates his draft stock. I don't see him going on to be a featured scorer at somewhere like...Kansas or Kentucky(yikes)? Any thoughts on what would be the ideal situation? Definitely disappointed, but I'm glad we got to enjoy him for 4 years!

    What about the fact that he would have to work on a master's degree at Duke? That would be no joke.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    Pretty weak move by Roach if he transfers. I don’t see the upside at all vs returning and presumably leading a talented young class. Vs transferring to Arkansas? I’m not agreeing with most on this thread and think this is a poor choice and short sighted.
    On the other hand, Jeremy started the year as Captain on the preseason #1 team, had a career best year, and helped take this team as far as it could realistically go. Coming in, a bunch of 17/18 y/o which remember it or not, makes you feel old as a 22 y/o.

    He was a senior, nearly all of his school friends were graduating and leaving Duke this year. Time for new things.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I’m just baffled. Never imagined we’d have a guy like Jer transfer. 4 year starter? Captain? PG? Maybe he’ll just go pro.

    I would think he’d get plenty of minutes… 80 minutes for 3 guards.

    Doesn’t Duke have any NIL money?

    Is it just about not getting enough shots?

    Completely baffled. Never in my 35ish years of Duke fandom could I have fathomed this, and doubly so as someone who wishes I could have been at Duke even longer than my four years.

    Good luck to Jer, but hard to really be thinking that right now for me.
    The combine is in mid May and the date to withdrawel and still play CBB is May 29th. Duke can't wait that long for the inevitable. The last time that happened it was Keels which led to us asking Proctor to reclassify.

Similar Threads

  1. Jeremy Roach confirms he is returning for the 2023-24 season
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 05-16-2023, 11:48 PM
  2. Replies: 149
    Last Post: 04-20-2023, 04:48 PM
  3. jeremy roach leaving next year
    By dukeinla in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2023, 01:31 AM
  4. Jeremy Roach Looks Primed to Become Engine of Duke's Offense
    By BlueDevilStop in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2020, 09:54 AM
  5. Welcome to Duke Jeremy Roach!
    By frb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •