NIT Competitor Or More?

@FOXSportsPR

FOX Sports & AEG launch the COLLEGE BASKETBALL CROWN: a reimagined postseason college hoops tournament ��

The showcase features 16 teams across elite conferences - airing on FOX & FS1 in Spring 2025 ��

��
    What are they shooting for?

The Big 10, Big 12 and the Big East have agreed to supply teams that didn't qualify for the NCAAT. Why do it, though, as just a competitor for the NIT?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Another opportunity for bubble busted teams to say "No".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

The Big 10, Big 12 and the Big East have agreed to supply teams that didn't qualify for the NCAAT. Why do it, though, as just a competitor for the NIT?
    This is almost certainly coming with a lot of extra money for those teams, there would be no other reason to commit to supplying teams.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    This is almost certainly coming with a lot of extra money for those teams, there would be no other reason to commit to supplying teams.
    Yep. I found this video explaining how it works.*

*Not exactly aimed at basketball, but still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    NIT is televised by ESPN, as is the women's tournament.
    I assume Fox is offering more $$ to lure teams away from the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    NIT is televised by ESPN, as is the women's tournament.
    I assume Fox is offering more $$ to lure teams away from the NIT.
    We knew Fox was working on launching this.

Greg Sankey will (and perhaps has) cite this tournament as a reason why the NCAAT must expand. I perceive the argument is this Fox tournament is a threat to steal eyeballs from the NCAAT, but I don't see a tournament of NCAAT rejects threatens the NCAAT's viewership. Thus, citing it to expand the NCAAT is a rationalization of something done for another reason, not a good reason itself.

The original post has the link to the announcement, which I will provide again here.

Three things that could work in its favor:

1. The location. Las Vegas has become a competitive college basketball destination, but not for the NCAA Tournament, at least yet. Mark your territory, FOX.

2. The game schedule. If 16 teams are playing from March 31 to April 6, that probably means 8 games on Monday (say, on FS1/FS2), 4 games Wednesday (FS1), 2 games Friday (FOX), and 1 title game on Sunday (FOX). None of these days conflict with the 2025 NCAA Men's Tournament, on the week of its Final Four.

3. The field. With no affiliation to the NCAA, there's no requirement to include mid-majors and low-majors. Set up a bracket of major conference teams only, and offer enough team money (not conference money) to make it more worth their while than the NIT.

One thing that could spell doom:

The delayed start. We'd be two weeks into a heavily promoted NCAA Tournament by the time this event begins. Would anyone care? Also, to compete with the NIT, the field would have to be announced not long after Selection Sunday, which means those teams would be sitting around for two weeks doing nothing, during a time when coaches are fired and hired, and the transfer portal is in full swing.

Now, it could be interesting, maybe, if this were a Second Chance Tournament, where you don't name the field until we know the NCAA Sweet 16. Then try to scoop up all the high-seeded teams that didn't make it through the first weekend. This year that would be 1-4 seeds Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, and Auburn, plus 5-8 seeds like Wisconsin, Texas Tech, South Carolina, Texas, Michigan State, Colorado, Florida, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, and Nebraska. Take maybe 10 of them (the first 10 to say yes) and then add 6 snubbed teams that you've already locked down after Selection Sunday (Pittsburgh, St. John's, Wake Forest, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Villanova).

Notice that I left off BYU, because this tournament has a potential BYU problem with a Sunday championship. I'm not sure how to address this; the NCAA men's and women's tournaments can work around it by placing BYU in a Thursday/Saturday (men) or Saturday/Monday (women) site for the first two weekends, but the women's tournament has the same problem with its own Sunday championship.