Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 188
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Mitchell Northam on Twitter is reporting that multiple sources have confirmed that Kara is NOT leaving Duke. She did not interview with Tennessee.
    Vegas disagrees.

    https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/be...ext-head-coach

    Thanks for the GREAT news!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I expect Sarah to announce next Tuesday or Wednesday.
    And I'm wrong (don't act so shocked). Sarah commits tomorrow at 11 on espn. Fingers crossed. Hope the Kara news clinched it.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Vegas disagrees.

    https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/be...ext-head-coach

    Thanks for the GREAT news!
    This makes me nervous. I checked Mitchell's credentials and he seems like he is a journalist that is a bit of a women's college basketball insider. Hopefully, he's correct on Kara.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Mitchell Northam on Twitter is reporting that multiple sources have confirmed that Kara is NOT leaving Duke. She did not interview with Tennessee.
    Thanks very much! I hadn't heard of Northam before, looks like he's a respected journalist with WUNC (NC public radio). Here's the link to the tweet, nothing that you didn't report, but nice to see in writing.

    https://x.com/primetimeMitch/status/1776300321775530297

    PS, the fact that she did not interview tells me that Tennessee is definitely looking outside of Knoxville, and also has likely found their target. (Unless she preemptively reached out and said Don't call me, ha!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And I'm wrong (don't act so shocked). Sarah commits tomorrow at 11 on espn. Fingers crossed. Hope the Kara news clinched it.
    After a little more thought, this makes sense. And probably pushed by espn. This is THE weekend of the year for college basketball. Have it the day between the women's games, and early so it doesn't touch the men's semis. On Tuesday everyone will be talking about the men's final the night before, and by Wednesday college basketball will be last year's news. Plus everyone will be talking about The Masters on Wednesday and whether Tiger can win it (he can't, he's got real physical problems).

    17 hours!!!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And I'm wrong (don't act so shocked). Sarah commits tomorrow at 11 on espn. Fingers crossed. Hope the Kara news clinched it.
    Wrong again. Oh well. "I'm drawn to the championship culture." Every single year, injuries or not, UConn puts more talent on the court than all but possibly 1 or 2 teams. Yet it's been almost a decade since they've won a championship. Oops, unless you're excited about winning the 6th or 7th best conference in the country.

    We almost beat them this year with less highly regarded talent at every single position. We still have a top-5 recruiting class. This will just make it all the more delicious when we beat UConn the next time we meet. I hope she did what is best for her, I'm looking forward to more Kara magic.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    If you ever see odds listed on the internet but there is no way to actually bet on those odds, they are fake.

    I couldn't find anywhere to bet on the next Lady Vols coach.
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Brooklynn Miles, Kentucky's point guard, has entered the portal.
    Wherever Amoore transferred too, someone was gonna see a massive minutes reduction.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wrong again. Oh well. "I'm drawn to the championship culture." Every single year, injuries or not, UConn puts more talent on the court than all but possibly 1 or 2 teams. Yet it's been almost a decade since they've won a championship. Oops, unless you're excited about winning the 6th or 7th best conference in the country.

    We almost beat them this year with less highly regarded talent at every single position. We still have a top-5 recruiting class. This will just make it all the more delicious when we beat UConn the next time we meet. I hope she did what is best for her, I'm looking forward to more Kara magic.
    Well at least she will be closer to her Mom in Boston https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Feaster I remember when Coach G had the full court recruiting press on Allison almost from the time she arrived at Duke in 1992, but Allison opted for Harvard instead.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDad02 View Post
    Well at least she will be closer to her Mom in Boston https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Feaster I remember when Coach G had the full court recruiting press on Allison almost from the time she arrived at Duke in 1992, but Allison opted for Harvard instead.
    Actually, I pointed out earlier that her mother can reach her about as fast from Boston-Durham as from Boston-Storrs. But I have never been one to dwell on the one that got away. Sure I wanted Sarah at Duke but I'm pretty excited with what we got. Maybe this gets us an equivalent option from the 2025 class that wouldn't have come, who knows. I trust in what Kara is building.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Actually, I pointed out earlier that her mother can reach her about as fast from Boston-Durham as from Boston-Storrs. But I have never been one to dwell on the one that got away. Sure I wanted Sarah at Duke but I'm pretty excited with what we got. Maybe this gets us an equivalent option from the 2025 class that wouldn't have come, who knows. I trust in what Kara is building.
    While Lawson may not pull from the portal at all, the option is sure there now without Strong. I'm looking forward to seeing if she fills a need. Hopefully a big.
    Kara has shown that Duke is a team worthy of top tier recruits and transfers.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    So on to the portal! I wonder who Kara is targeting. Duke is more interesting to players than it has been in years, but I think Kara will be picky. Vanessa should be fully healthy by October, and while not elite our 3-headed point guard will be very strong. Ashlon has improved her handle but can move back to concentrating on her natural spot at shooting guard. Somebody needs to work full-time on Jadyn's shooting, she'll never be a 3-point threat but if she develops a mid-range shot she will be lethal and an All-American.

    The only glaring need I see is a huskier true post to help our frontcourt. We've got a lot of young talent, but they're all rather lanky.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    I'm not saying Caitlin is the GOAT, but it's pretty sad when she has a more nuanced and mature viewpoint than ex-players years or decades older than her.

    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...rk-goat-status

    I've always thought Breanna Stewart had a brilliant college career, but her supporting cast was light-years ahead of what Caitlin has or ever had.

    Basketball is not like tennis or golf. Caitlin is a unicorn.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Neither a big name nor an alum, Tennessee has hired Kim Caldwell from Marshall. She's had lots of success there of course, and this looks like a good "safe" hire.

    Edit, per. Brevity's post below, "lots of success there" is one impressive season, ha!
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 04-07-2024 at 02:15 PM.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    ESPN: Tennessee hires Marshall's Kim Caldwell as new coach

    In her lone season as head coach, Marshall won the Sun Belt championship, set a record for most wins in school history (26) and made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1997...

    Marshall was picked to finish ninth in the preseason Sun Belt media poll, but under Caldwell, the Thundering Herd averaged 85.3 points per game (fourth nationally) and forced 24.2 turnovers per game (second nationally)...

    Before going to Marshall, Caldwell spent seven seasons at her alma mater, Division II Glenville State, winning the 2022 Division II national championship.
    Caldwell graduated from Glenville State in 2011, so she's probably in her early 30s.



    Knox News: Tennessee hires Kim Caldwell of Marshall as Lady Vols basketball coach

    Caldwell will be introduced in a Tuesday afternoon press conference. Caldwell will make $750,000 annually and signed a contract through March 31, 2029.
    Knox News: Who is Kim Caldwell? What to know about Lady Vols basketball coach

    The Thundering Herd scored more than 100 points five times and more than 90 points nine times last season. Marshall led the nation with 31.9 3-point attempts per game and ranked third with 10.6 made 3-pointers per game.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Neither a big name nor an alum, Tennessee has hired Kim Caldwell from Marshall. She's had lots of success there of course, and this looks like a good "safe" hire.
    Well this is quite a relief.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Wish we had known this little tidbit a few months ago.

    THROUGHOUT HIGH SCHOOL Strong's vision board had "Go to UConn" stamped on it as a future goal
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-commits-uconn

    So why then string out the other teams' coaches and fanbases, and be the very last top-100 recruit to commit?
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wish we had known this little tidbit a few months ago.



    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-commits-uconn

    So why then string out the other teams' coaches and fanbases, and be the very last top-100 recruit to commit?
    Elevate the attention you're getting, maximize your NIL potential. All about the $.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Elevate the attention you're getting, maximize your NIL potential. All about the $.
    If that's the case then I'm glad she didn't come here. Kinda.

    Seriously, you want the talent. But the right people as well.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    If that's the case then I'm glad she didn't come here. Kinda.

    Seriously, you want the talent. But the right people as well.
    I thought of posting something prior to the announcement, but didn't want to spoil the moment.
    In watching Sarah Strong, she is a prolific scorer, playmaker and a solid teammate... but she is not fully invested in defense.
    She routinely takes plays off and does not run the court, camping out at half court waiting for the ball.
    Perhaps that is just the M.O. of a high school star, but I didn't see that as a good fit for Kara's team mission.

Similar Threads

  1. 2023-2024 DWBB Season
    By dudog84 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1849
    Last Post: 04-08-2024, 06:22 PM
  2. DWBB 2022-23 Season
    By dudog84 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 709
    Last Post: 12-30-2022, 10:11 AM
  3. DWBB 2021-22 Season
    By DU82 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2290
    Last Post: 04-15-2022, 09:41 AM
  4. 2019-20 DWBB Season
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1498
    Last Post: 06-27-2020, 07:41 AM
  5. DWBB: 2018 Season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 640
    Last Post: 04-17-2018, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •