Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I feel bad for Kellie Harper, but I'm sure she'll land someplace better and be happier. If I was the Virginia Tech AD I'd have her signed by the end of the day.

Did a little more digging on Tennessee's ridiculous expectations. Pat Summitt didn't make the Final Four in her final 4 seasons. She had never gone more than 2 years without that achievement, and in fact made the very 1st women's NCAA Final Four! Those 4 years included a 1st round exit...she had never failed to make the Sweet 16 otherwise in her career. Pretty phenomenal.

Holly Warlick had 3 Elite 8s in her first 4 seasons, but by her 7th year made a 1st round exit and was gone.

In steps Harper and COVID hits. Really only given 4 years and realistically 3 since 2020-21 still had COVID after-effects.

Let us close our eyes
    Outside their lives go on much faster
    Oh, we won't give in
    We'll keep living in the past

Be interesting to see who they get. Only slightly interesting, after all it's UT basketball.

Edit: Kara is only #8 on the hometown paper's wish list, didn't even make the "swing for the fences" category. But I'm still gonna worry 'til it's over.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...r/73157662007/
    Last edited by dudog84; 04-01-2024 at 06:09 PM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    "Transfer portal"...being the open door at Kentucky.

PS, we don't need a player at guard.
    Amoore is good enough that if she was interested you make room. But like you said, she probably follows her coach to Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Amoore is good enough that if she was interested you make room. But like you said, she probably follows her coach to Kentucky
    I disagree. No inside knowledge, but I think Kara only uses the portal for a glaring need. How does she push aside the 2 years of hard work that Ashlon and Reigan have given her, the progress and energy of Oluchi, and the burden that Taina carried quite well for us (as well as having Vanessa back next year)? We don't need a guard.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's an article on who Tennessee might be looking at, and yes, Kara is on the list. She's not up high though, and the reason is stated in a way that we'll feel easier about.

Tennessee probably needs to go outside the Summitt coaching tree for this hire, but the former Lady Vols star point guard is still a solid candidate with her success as a pro and her strong recruiting at Duke already.
    It's a long selection, with some big time names at the top, some of whom are still playing in the tourney.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here's an article on who Tennessee might be looking at, and yes, Kara is on the list. She's not up high though, and the reason is stated in a way that we'll feel easier about.

It's a long selection, with some big time names at the top, some of whom are still playing in the tourney.

You're slipping, CB&B. Already posted hours ago.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    You're slipping, CB&B. Already posted hours ago.
    Distracted by the Caitlin Clark show, I suppose.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I wonder how long it will take before we learn whether Kara is staying or not. I'd love an announcement today that she is not interested in the TN job.

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    I wonder how long it will take before we learn whether Kara is staying or not. I'd love an announcement today that she is not interested in the TN job.
    Those sorts of announcements usually come along with a contract extension. "I'm very happy to say I have no interest in leaving Duke. I'm honored to have been contacted by Knoxville, but I'm 100% loyal to my players." In other news, Lawson has signed a new 6 year deal...

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    I'm not going anywhere, Duke is the place for me. -Mike Elko

(I think Kara has way more integrity than Midnight Mike)

Everyone does until they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everyone does until they don't.
    You guys are giving me heartburn.

You guys are giving me heartburn.
    Not us! That's what you get eating that second McMuffin for breakfast.

Can we assume that there has been communication between Nina and Danny White -- either direct or through Dr. White -- on the degree of interest by Danny?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Can we assume that there has been communication between Nina and Danny White -- either direct or through Dr. White -- on the degree of interest by Danny?
    If Daniel White actually wanted to hire Kara Lawson out from under Duke, why would he convey that information to Nina King? I'm sure they know each other, probably fairly well, but it's a competitive negotiation. The only time to lay your cards on the table is when the game is already over.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If Daniel White actually wanted to hire Kara Lawson out from under Duke, why would he convey that information to Nina King? I'm sure they know each other, probably fairly well, but it's a competitive negotiation. The only time to lay your cards on the table is when the game is already over.
    Oh, I would ask if I were Dr. King and expect the answer to be "no" or "mumble-mumble."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Oh, I would ask if I were Dr. King and expect the answer to be "no" or "mumble-mumble."
    The thing is, Kara is gonna be mentioned now for any opening where there are deep pockets (state schools, especially in the B1G and SEC). It depends on what she wants, how much Duke will pony up, and her relationships at Duke (Nina mostly, but other senior admin and also her players...all coaches talk about commitment but few return it). Duke wants to be competitive, and the recruiting successes and other progress indicate that will be sustained. But I don't think Duke will ever be 'Championship or you're gone' in WBB like at some other places.

But I don't think Duke will ever be 'Championship or you're gone' in WBB like at some other places.
    Had it not been for her attitude, I think P would have been around for a while. But she got on the wrong side of too many people, including her players.

Nothing new in this ESPN article from Michael Voepel looking at what options Tennessee has, but sharing it because Kara is the only coach mentioned by name.

From Summitt to Warlick to Harper, Tennessee's coaching has had 50 years of connection. All Tennessee natives. Warlick and Harper played for Summitt. Lady Vols through and through.

The question now: Should Tennessee go another direction for its next head coach?

Kara Lawson, a Lady Vols alum who led the Duke Blue Devils to the Sweet 16 this season, likely came to mind immediately for many as a potential replacement. But does she want to take on the Summitt legacy and expectations, especially since she is building her own thing now at Duke?

Would she be the right fit? Or would Tennessee be best -- as painful as it might be to longtime fans -- to bring in someone with no connection to the Lady Vols' past?
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ach-fired-next

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Those sorts of announcements usually come along with a contract extension. "I'm very happy to say I have no interest in leaving Duke. I'm honored to have been contacted by Knoxville, but I'm 100% loyal to my players." In other news, Lawson has signed a new 6 year deal...
    This. If Kara is offered the job, I believe shes gone.

Do we know if an interview has taken place; any RDU to Knoxville flight records?!

I've been reading Tennessee message boards all morning and I think they would be disappointed if they ended up hiring Kara. I think there's a real desire to go outside the alum base and take a swing on Ivey (ND) or Gottlieb (USC).

Danny White, the Tennessee AD, has a great track record of coach hiring: while at Buffalo, he hired Nate Oats and Lance Leipold, and obviously the Vols are very happy with their current football coach.
    Pratt '09, Grad '10