Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Doing the math, we had 12 scholarship athletes last season, are losing two to graduation (Brown and Emsbo), and adding three recruits (Battiston, part of that recruiting class, is already on campus.) That makes 13, and Nelson makes 14. So we have room for one more for the 2024-25, assuming nobody is transferring out.

I don't follow recruiting that closely, so I don't know how the 25-26 class (upcoming high school seniors) is for guards. I have to assume that Nelson is joining to contribute in 25-26, and isn't being counted for 24-25 due to her injury. While she may recover in time to play at some point in the season, she and the team may be better served by her redshirting.

Regarding returning players, the DWBB Facebook/Twitter feeds have provided highlight/hype videos for Jackson, Mair and Battiston so far, implying that they are returning. Looking forward to other videos being posted (they seem to be coming out one-a-day.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm eager to learn how Vanessa is doing with her recovery and if she's been playing at any level again.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Riley Nelson is listed 13th in ESPN's top transfer list.

13. Riley Nelson, 6-2, G, Fr., Maryland Terrapins

A torn ACL ended Nelson's freshman season after just 16 games, and the former McDonald's All American is now looking for a new school. She came off the bench to average 5.1 points per game but was expected to be a big part of the Terps' future. She was the 18th-rated prospect in the 2023 recruiting class. Nelson is the 13th Maryland player to enter the transfer portal in the past five years.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...2024-25-season
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    A couple of former Duke players (who transferred out last year) have entered the portal again: Miami's Shayeann Day-Wilson and Marquette's Lee Volker.
    Update: Shayeann Day-Wilson transfers to LSU. From Kara Lawson to Katie Meier to Kim Mulkey.

shayeanndaywilson.jpg

That'll take some getting used to.

This is noteworthy. Caitlin Clark is the first 2-time winner of the Sullivan Award in its 94-year history. It goes to the top amateur athlete (whatever that means nowadays) in the country.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ollege-athlete
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Update: Shayeann Day-Wilson transfers to LSU. From Kara Lawson to Katie Meier to Kim Mulkey.

shayeanndaywilson.jpg

That'll take some getting used to.
    She didn't shine in Miami, and I expect she won't anymore than Van Lith did at LSU. But she'll have more sparkles.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Riley Nelson is listed 13th in ESPN's top transfer list.

Inexplicably, Riley has dropped to #23, below others who had previously been lower than her. (I'm pretty sure of that, even though the previous article is no longer available) So what's changed? There haven't been any games played, who got in his ear? All that shows me is that Charlie Creme is a hack. He doesn't even have her committed to Duke even though it happened days ago.

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Inexplicably, Riley has dropped to #23, below others who had previously been lower than her. (I'm pretty sure of that, even though the previous article is no longer available) So what's changed? There haven't been any games played, who got in his ear? All that shows me is that Charlie Creme is a hack. He doesn't even have her committed to Duke even though it happened days ago.

Her previous ranking was based on potential. 23 is realistic for a player who has only played 15 games of college bball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeeeda View Post
    Her previous ranking was based on potential. 23 is realistic for a player who has only played 15 games of college bball.
    The point is that she had the same potential in the previous ranking as she does in this one.

The point is that she had the same potential in the previous ranking as she does in this one.
    Right, but ranking on proven ability vs potential seems more prudent to me, so I'm glad he adjusted he previous list.

Shelden's ex retires. She's quite possibly on the Mount Rushmore of WBB across all levels. Probably is for her outstanding achievements in high school, college, and the WNBA.

Candace Parker, for those who don't get the DMBB reference.

A couple of former Duke players (who transferred out last year) have entered the portal again: Miami's Shayeann Day-Wilson and Marquette's Lee Volker.
    SB Nation/Anonymous Eagle: Lee Volker Withdraws From The Transfer Portal

Volker was reported as entering the portal back on April 8th, five days after it was announced that Megan Duffy had left Marquette to take the Virginia Tech head coaching job. After Cara Consuegra was hired as the new MU head coach, Volker was seen participating in a team workout, indicating that she was considering staying at Marquette at the very least.
    In other news, it's onward and upward for Talia Goodman.

It seems like Talia Goodman is singlehandedly working to defeat society's perceptions of nepotism. Over at The Next, she's handling the transfer portal tracker for women's basketball, much like she did last year for Heat Check WBB.
    As of yesterday (see embedded tweet of the above Volker article), she was reporting for The Next, but today she's moved her Transfer Portal Tracker to On3's HER division.

LOL, there's already a bracketology up. Guess you've gotta earn those paychecks during the off-season.

So you don't have to click on the link, Duke is a 3-seed. You can thank me later.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ll-projections

LOL, there's already a bracketology up. Guess you've gotta earn those paychecks during the off-season.

So you don't have to click on the link, Duke is a 3-seed. You can thank me later.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ll-projections
    Screwed by the committee again with the Spokane regional placement🥲.

Shelden's ex retires. She's quite possibly on the Mount Rushmore of WBB across all levels. Probably is for her outstanding achievements in high school, college, and the WNBA.

Candace Parker, for those who don't get the DMBB reference.
    Itís hard to tell with 13-year-olds, but it appears that Lailaa can play a little.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Itís hard to tell with 13-year-olds, but it appears that Lailaa can play a little.
    Gets it from her dad I bet.

I'm eager to learn how Vanessa is doing with her recovery and if she's been playing at any level again.
    Take a look at the video she posted.

Gets it from her dad I bet.
    Sheís built more like dad than mom. Gonna be a force inside if she continues to grow.

On Friday, Deja Kelly said she's a Tar Heel for life as she leaves Chapel Hill to play her fifth season elsewhere. (Jeremy Roach said he would always be a Blue Devil when he entered the transfer portal, and I don't want to be a hypocrite, so I'll leave her alone.)

Earlier today UNC picked up former Arizona State player Trayanna Crisp from the portal. Like Kelly, she's a 5-8 guard.

Also recent and relevant Carolina news: 2025 signee Lanie Grant (5-9 guard) reclassified to 2024, while 6-1 wing Alyssa Ustby announced she will return to UNC for her fifth season.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    On Friday, Deja Kelly said she's a Tar Heel for life as she leaves Chapel Hill to play her fifth season elsewhere. (Jeremy Roach said he would always be a Blue Devil when he entered the transfer portal, and I don't want to be a hypocrite, so I'll leave her alone.)

Earlier today UNC picked up former Arizona State player Trayanna Crisp from the portal. Like Kelly, she's a 5-8 guard.

Also recent and relevant Carolina news: 2025 signee Lanie Grant (5-9 guard) reclassified to 2024, while 6-1 wing Alyssa Ustby announced she will return to UNC for her fifth season.
    Some online are speculating that Deja will take her tripping ways down to the Bayou and play for Kim Mulkey. Boy, that's a match made in, well, not heaven.