Is this NYT April Fool’s Joke or is the NCAA a total joke

From the NYT
    “The court used at Portland’s Moda Center, one of the sites for the women’s NCAA Tournament Regionals, has dimension discrepancies for the 3-point line, according to the NCAA. The NCAA said that they were informed Sunday that the 3-point lines on the floor were “not the same distance.”

“The two head coaches were made aware of the discrepancy and elected to play a complete game on the court as is, rather than correcting the court and delaying the game,” the NCAA said in a statement.”

How is this not corrected say the day before?

The only thing the NCAA seems to be good at is losing in the courts. Apparently they can not get any consistency in officiating. They can’t even get the lines right for tournament games.

SoCal

Saw a few videos about it yesterday .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    What's bizarre is that it took so long for anyone to notice. I sure didn't during our UCONN game, but in hindsight it's obvious.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is just more evidence of how the NCAA devalues one of its most valuable properties: Women's basketball. TV ratings were higher for the women this year than the men. I think this is understandable. In the 1-and-done era, unless you have a blockbuster freshman coming in, there aren't known bankable upperclassmen like Caitlyn Clark, Paige Bueckers or Angel Reese. UConn seems to have the edge to repeat this year in MBB, but there's no popular/notorious dynasty like UConn or SC WBB. And yet, the NCAA didn't even bother to break out the women's tourney in its latest rights deal, leaving money on the table imo. Heck I guess we should be happy the women's tourney is officially branded "March Madness" though they had to be shamed into conceding that. I don't get it.

-c

And for some reason, the blockbuster game tonight is on ESPN as opposed to network TV. I guess Wheel of Fortune will get the demographics that Caitlin v. Angel can't.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    This is just more evidence of how the NCAA devalues one of its most valuable properties: Women's basketball. TV ratings were higher for the women this year than the men. I think this is understandable. In the 1-and-done era, unless you have a blockbuster freshman coming in, there aren't known bankable upperclassmen like Caitlyn Clark, Paige Bueckers or Angel Reese. UConn seems to have the edge to repeat this year in MBB, but there's no popular/notorious dynasty like UConn or SC WBB. And yet, the NCAA didn't even bother to break out the women's tourney in its latest rights deal, leaving money on the table imo. Heck I guess we should be happy the women's tourney is officially branded "March Madness" though they had to be shamed into conceding that. I don't get it.

-c
    They clearly undervalue the women, but this is an honest mistake. They offered the teams to fix it, and delay the game, and they agreed to play. In the end, the numbers show it likely didn't impact anything.

Still inexcusable, but I doubt they're using different floor people for the mens and womens.
    April 1

-c
    Odd stuff happening in the Wolfpack Women's tourney run. Earlier in the tournament, in State's game game against UT-Chattanooga a ref was "replaced" at half time after someone learned that she went to UT-Chattanooga for undergrad. Not that it impacted the game.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They clearly undervalue the women, but this is an honest mistake. They offered the teams to fix it, and delay the game, and they agreed to play. In the end, the numbers show it likely didn't impact anything.

Still inexcusable, but I doubt they're using different floor people for the mens and womens.
    It may have. The previous games, the 3 point shooting was skewed for the teams playing. Yes, everyone had to play on a "wrong court" at some point, but that doesn't mean they weren't affected.
    In the photos I shared, you can see UCONN had the short end, we had the long end to start. Our first half shooting was miserable. In the second half it was much improved.

Again, not using it as an excuse, but the numbers show that the court did impact play. (Same for the other games that were played besides ours and State's.)

Edit...stats added.
    According to ESPN Stats & Information tracking, teams during the five games so far in the Portland regionals shot 29% (23-of-79) from the 3-point line that was too short, as compared to 33% (29-of-87) from the standard 3-point line. Additionally, teams averaged 66.8 points per game from the standard line and just 62.0 PPG from the shorter one.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ance-ncaa-says
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Odd stuff happening in the Wolfpack Women's tourney run. Earlier in the tournament, in State's game game against UT-Chattanooga a ref was "replaced" at half time after someone learned that she went to UT-Chattanooga for undergrad.
    Per NBC News, Fox, AP, and others, it was a masters degree, so graduate school, not undergrad.

</pedant>

This is just more evidence of how the NCAA devalues one of its most valuable properties: Women's basketball. TV ratings were higher for the women this year than the men. I think this is understandable...
    I agree with your general point, but the bolded is not correct. Fox Sports reported that the average # of viewers were higher for women's games, but only for their networks, not ESPN, CBS, etc. If you look at the ratings for the first weekend of the respective tournaments, for example, the men's games predominate (click here if the image is too small):

GJmig2gWwAAhz-c.jpg

As a more subtle argument, there are a lot more televised men's games than women's. FOX's numbers are pretty close for men vs. women, which suggests that FOX had the balance in #s between the two about right. In other words, an average men's game draws the same number of viewers as an above-average women's game.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It may have. The previous games, the 3 point shooting was skewed for the teams playing. Yes, everyone had to play on a "wrong court" at some point, but that doesn't mean they weren't affected.
    In the photos I shared, you can see UCONN had the short end, we had the long end to start. Our first half shooting was miserable. In the second half it was much improved.

Again, not using it as an excuse, but the numbers show that the court did impact play. (Same for the other games that were played besides ours and State's.)

Edit...stats added.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ance-ncaa-says
    In fairness, I believe the longer line was the accurate one. Interestingly, Duke notwithstanding, it looks like the shorter line had worse numbers overall.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    In fairness, I believe the longer line was the accurate one. Interestingly, Duke notwithstanding, it looks like the shorter line had worse numbers overall.
    One would think that at the basket where it was shorter than normal, shots would be too long (muscles trained to shoot as if the distance is X feet, when it is actually shorter than that), so it would make sense that the numbers would be worse at that basket. Over the long term, if the line was moved in and players practiced at a shorter distance, a closer three point line would likely generate better results.

It is sad that people look at this and start to cry about women vs. men value and attendance.
    It looks like it was an honest mistake, with no ill intent. Need to stop looking for reasons to be upset at somebody.

The bigger question is how none of the players or coaches noticed it and said something.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It is sad that people look at this and start to cry about women vs. men value and attendance.
    It looks like it was an honest mistake, with no ill intent. Need to stop looking for reasons to be upset at somebody.

The bigger question is how none of the players or coaches noticed it and said something.
    Like playing with the wrong ball. Their focus is on other things. And in the end, both teams dealt with it evenly.

-jk