Thread: Widen the lane?

Widen the lane?

Iíve enjoyed watching the tournament games but, often, itís not pretty basketball. Without changing the officiating or adding illegal defense rules, widening the lane seems like the simplest way to add some flow back to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Iíve enjoyed watching the tournament games but, often, itís not pretty basketball. Without changing the officiating or adding illegal defense rules, widening the lane seems like the simplest way to add some flow back to the games.
    I don't think that will make much of a difference. Teams can still pack the lane defensively. It just means big guys on offense have to start a step further away.

Not a bad idea

I like the idea. Block/charge arc gets smaller, mentally
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This may come off as snarky, but I would prefer to change the officiating.

I have seen Burns post way outside the lane and gradually back his defender down to the restricted area circle for a baby hook many times now. Not sure how widening the lane would help that.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

A better change is make 3 second calls based on total time not with and wiithout the ball. So a post up a catch and one dribble is about 3 seconds. Add three seconds as a defensive technical and the lane would really open up.

Keep in mind this is from the perspective of fans whose team is guard focused. Purdue and UConn fans might disagree with these rules

It occurs to me that all the big post players who donít check at least 2 of 3 NBA boxes between, rim protection, guarding PNRs and 3-pt shooting, are going to be stuck in college sucking up NIL $, jamming up all the lanes and making ugly basket ball at the college level.