Page 73 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1774
  1. #1441
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not sure what you mean but the minutes are what leads to skill development and comfort playing with teammates.
    I see another practice versus game minutes discussion about to startÖ.

    Iíd be really bummed if Sean decided to transfer. Less for the basketball side, tbh, even though he is really fun to watch. More because he was a Duke fan his entire life and really seemed to love the school and be engaged in/with the community.

    If he does decide to leave, I really hope itís the right decision for him and his family and that the grass does get greener on the other side.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I'm guessing he means disparity in NIL deals. Same thing happens in the corporate world where if you have two people doing the same or similar jobs and one is making 30% more, it can lead to friction, dissatisfaction.
    This could be an issue in some cases, but I don't think NIL is much of a driver with Sean Stewart. His father played for a decade in the NBA and earned over $25 million dollars ( https://www.basketball-reference.com...stewami01.html ). As has been widely reported, they are very close with Grant Hill's family. Sean's father got a degree from Cal (an outstanding university) and comes across as a very smart guy.

    I think the family is more interested in getting Sean ready for a career as a professional basketball player more than which school will give him an extra $50 grand or so.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  3. #1443

    You are right

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I often see posts where folks try to make the case that certain players can exist together. "There's room for Roach and Foster to get minutes" or "Here is how Brown and Stewart both get good playing time that should make them happy."

    I would just like to say it is not about how you think the playing time could play out, it is about how the players themselves (and their families/advisers) see it playing out.

    So, if you are Sean Stewart and just endured a year where it was really tough to get on the floor despite demonstrating NBA-level athleticism (that needs a lot more seasoning), Duke adding a guy who plays very similarly to you could be quite scary. Are there scenarios where both guys got about 20 minutes per game and are quite happy? Sure... that may even be the most likely scenario. But is there a scenario where the more experienced Brown gets closer to 30mpg and Sean is again struggling to get more than a 4-minute first half run? Yup, that is entirely possible and something that I suspect Sean cannot tolerate for a second season of his budding career.
    While it may be more than minutes, ie player wants to be the point guard, Duke needs an off guard, the main thought is correct. It is not how we see it, it is how the player and his family etc see it.

    SoCal

  4. #1444
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Currently* that is against the rules. You can't play for more than one school in a given championship segment.

    *Yes, yes...I know. What are "rules" these days? ::shrug::

    You make a good point, though. What is the tipping point?
    Clearly it's Grayson Allen.

    Oh wait...

  5. #1445
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Clearly it's Grayson Allen.

    Oh wait...
    Hahaha! Must spread sporks, yadda, yadda, yadda...

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    But is there a scenario where the more experienced Brown gets closer to 30mpg and Sean is again struggling to get more than a 4-minute first half run? Yup, that is entirely possible and something that I suspect Sean cannot tolerate for a second season of his budding career.
    I'm a little confused now. I thought we already established it was a one or the other situation here?

    If this Brown recruitment has progressed as far as it has, then it appears to me it's a just a matter of Sean's decision, right? (i.e. if Sean stays, then Brown goes elsewhere). Why would Sean care about competing for minutes with him if it's a mutually exclusive spot for both of them?

    Going on your logic, I think Sean might be worried about his playing time even without Brown in the mix, although I think there's a clear 25+ minute role for him, as long as he progresses as expected.

  7. #1447
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    While it may be more than minutes, ie player wants to be the point guard, Duke needs an off guard, the main thought is correct. It is not how we see it, it is how the player and his family etc see it.

    SoCal
    And maybe even more, how aligned the player/family is with the coaching staff about the journey. Iím pretty sure they are aligned with the goal(s)

    You could see where there could be a disconnect, even with the best of intentions on the path to said goal though.

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This could be an issue in some cases, but I don't think NIL is much of a driver with Sean Stewart. His father played for a decade in the NBA and earned over $25 million dollars ( https://www.basketball-reference.com...stewami01.html ). As has been widely reported, they are very close with Grant Hill's family. Sean's father got a degree from Cal (an outstanding university) and comes across as a very smart guy.

    I think the family is more interested in getting Sean ready for a career as a professional basketball player more than which school will give him an extra $50 grand or so.
    That all makes sense and you certainly have more insight into Sean and his familyís thinking. I also think we need to recognize that money isnít just about your ability to buy nice things but also a sign of respect and of how much folks value you. Even if a player doesnít need the money, itís nice to be valued more than other players and it hurts when you think youíre a better player than a guy who gets a bigger NIL deal. That might or might not play into Seanís thinking but itís worth expanding the way we think about how money might influence these decisions.

  9. #1449
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This could be an issue in some cases, but I don't think NIL is much of a driver with Sean Stewart. His father played for a decade in the NBA and earned over $25 million dollars ( https://www.basketball-reference.com...stewami01.html ). As has been widely reported, they are very close with Grant Hill's family. Sean's father got a degree from Cal (an outstanding university) and comes across as a very smart guy.

    I think the family is more interested in getting Sean ready for a career as a professional basketball player more than which school will give him an extra $50 grand or so.
    I agree with you. I suspect with Sean the primary issue could be a starting job but is more likely his camp wanting him to play the 4 while Jon is asking him to play the 5.

    Some people have said that Flip, our 5 this year, had lots of face up and 3 point opportunities, but that's not how our offense will run next year. Flagg will be the guy generating offense at the top of the key or in the high-post as a point-forward. Will Sean always be in the dunkers spot down low as the 5? Or will he be cutting to the basket and setting up for corner 3s? I'm betting this is the heart of the matter and there's a lot of this year vs next year talk...

    Can't blame Sean's camp for wanting to develop and showcase his future NBA skills.

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I agree with you. I suspect with Sean the primary issue could be a starting job but is more likely his camp wanting him to play the 4 while Jon is asking him to play the 5.

    Some people have said that Flip, our 5 this year, had lots of face up and 3 point opportunities, but that's not how our offense will run next year. Flagg will be the guy generating offense at the top of the key or in the high-post as a point-forward. Will Sean always be in the dunkers spot down low as the 5? Or will he be cutting to the basket and setting up for corner 3s? I'm betting this is the heart of the matter and there's a lot of this year vs next year talk...

    Can't blame Sean's camp for wanting to develop and showcase his future NBA skills.
    This would be my guess as well. I think Sean is a 5 until he proves otherwise, and we already have an incoming 5 who at worst (I hope!) will get 15-20 minutes once ACC play starts.

    I would be surprised if Sean returns given the fit, and I think this is a case where both sides may be better off.

  11. #1451
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    This would be my guess as well. I think Sean is a 5 until he proves otherwise, and we already have an incoming 5 who at worst (I hope!) will get 15-20 minutes once ACC play starts.

    I would be surprised if Sean returns given the fit, and I think this is a case where both sides may be better off.
    I disagree on it being better for both sides. Sean has a very high ceiling and could be an AllAmerican his junior and or senior season. I'd like to see this happen in a Duke uniform. This is not a Coleman or Brakefield situation...

  12. #1452
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I disagree on it being better for both sides. Sean has a very high ceiling and could be an AllAmerican his junior and or senior season. I'd like to see this happen in a Duke uniform. This is not a Coleman or Brakefield situation...
    I agree wholeheartedly. If I remember correctly, Sean lead the nation in total rebound rate (albeit with low minutes). Would love to see Sean racking up double doubles in a Duke uniform.

  13. #1453
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    This would be my guess as well. I think Sean is a 5 until he proves otherwise, and we already have an incoming 5 who at worst (I hope!) will get 15-20 minutes once ACC play starts.

    I would be surprised if Sean returns given the fit, and I think this is a case where both sides may be better off.
    I am disturbed with the Stewart rumblings so I'll vent:

    1) Mark is transferring cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3 or 4 and Mark can't shoot 3's at the other position?
    2) Sean may leave cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3 or 4 and he can't shoot 3's at the other position + Malauch will take most minutes at the 5?
    3) TJ Power may leave cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3.
    4) Jeremy is leaving in part cause we aren't going to play 3 guards since Cooper Flagg will play the 3?

    Have I left anyone out? I hope Cooper Flagg is indeed "generational", manages to play a full year and brings Duke much glory.

  14. #1454
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I disagree on it being better for both sides. Sean has a very high ceiling and could be an AllAmerican his junior and or senior season. I'd like to see this happen in a Duke uniform. This is not a Coleman or Brakefield situation...
    The reverse of that is, based on the discussion on this board, just about every Duke fan felt that Stewart should have gotten more playing time this year. And if fans feel that way, imagine how he and his family felt about it, probably the same only 100 time more intense and upset about it.
    So the question is can Jon Scheyer convince them to trust him and his development plan for Sean.

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    If Jon hopes to get older through recruited players, he needs to increase his tolerance for growing pains. Duke should not be in this situation with Sean and TJ.
    Using this comment simply as a launch point.

    I would be surprised in Coachís goal is ďto get older through recruited players.Ē The goal is probably something more like ó Recruit and develop a championship caliber team that does things the right way.

    Maybe he thinks that getting older through recruited players will serve that goal (he may even have said as much). But he canít control that outcome. Maybe the players donít have patience? Maybe the players arenít as good as the staff expected? Maybe there are money incentives? Maybe there are family issues? Maybe someone is not very self-aware?

    Letís say he ďincreased his tolerance for growing painsĒ by letting players who are not as good as others play more. By definition that would not help the immediate goal. But, does it serve a more long-term goal? Maybe. But what if the players who get the increased playing time donít progress as you hope? I guess you will be older. But I doubt anyone here would be excited by an old team that wasnít very good.

    Anyway, to me, many of the posts on these transfer threads miss the point that while itís good to have a strategy and plan, you have to be willing to adjust when unexpected events arise. And in this setting, in this landscape, there are so many variables going into each playerís individual decisionmaking that you are guaranteed to have unexpected events: unrealized potential, changing expectations, financial, etc. ó not to mention the impact of the 18-21 year-old mind.

    Anyway, seems to me itís a hell of a hard job, and based on what we have seen so far, Iím glad we have the coach we have.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

  16. #1456
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Location
    Bozeman, MT and Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I am disturbed with the Stewart rumblings so I'll vent:

    1) Mark is transferring cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3 or 4 and Mark can't shoot 3's at the other position?
    2) Sean may leave cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3 or 4 and he can't shoot 3's at the other position + Malauch will take most minutes at the 5?
    3) TJ Power may leave cause Cooper Flagg will take his minutes at the 3.
    4) Jeremy is leaving in part cause we aren't going to play 3 guards since Cooper Flagg will play the 3?

    Have I left anyone out? I hope Cooper Flagg is indeed "generational", manages to play a full year and brings Duke much glory.
    I 100% agree with the bolded and am skeptical.

    But even knowledgable guys like Brendan Marks are saying: "Flagg is a transcendent talent, and the best high school player Iíve ever seen. His shot-blocking prowess as a primary defender ó not in help situations ó is incredible, as is his anticipation. Heís the early frontrunner to be the No. 1 pick in the 2025 NBA Draft, and Duke will (appropriately) build around him next season."

    If that's true, I think you do build your team around a talent like that.

  17. #1457
    I cannot agree that "just about every Duke fan" felt that Sean Stewart should have played more minutes this past season. I do not think so and I don't know that the majority of Duke fans feel that way.

    I do not doubt his family thought he should have played more. It certainly is open to debate whether he should have.

    I also think there is no guarantee if Sean has a good year (not even great, but shows progress), that he will not leave after his sophomore year because the NBA will draft him based on potential.

    So I am beginning to feel that trying to keep a freshman or sophomore in the fold does not guarantee more than one season, similar to a transfer. Which makes me sad.

  18. #1458
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I agree with you. I suspect with Sean the primary issue could be a starting job but is more likely his camp wanting him to play the 4 while Jon is asking him to play the 5.

    Some people have said that Flip, our 5 this year, had lots of face up and 3 point opportunities, but that's not how our offense will run next year. Flagg will be the guy generating offense at the top of the key or in the high-post as a point-forward. Will Sean always be in the dunkers spot down low as the 5? Or will he be cutting to the basket and setting up for corner 3s? I'm betting this is the heart of the matter and there's a lot of this year vs next year talk...

    Can't blame Sean's camp for wanting to develop and showcase his future NBA skills.
    Maybe, on the bolded. If true, I guess where I land is, wouldn't we all be thrilled if Sean improved his 4 skills in the offseason to the point where he could reliably play there? It would allow him to spell Maluach at the 5 while also sliding down and letting Flagg play the 3 if Evans is either struggling or not physically effective enough. Having Stewart play a "stretchier" 4 role would be great, from my perspective.

    Problem is, he has to get there. Coaches can help him, obviously. But he has to get there. Whether at Duke or elsewhere. He is very, very obviously not capable of a modern 4 role today, and if he or his parents or advisors or whoever can't recognize that or admit that, then I don't know what to say.

    So to me, the answer is straightforward. Jon tells Stewart, if you can develop your 4 skills to the point where you can knock down a halfway decent three pointer and handle the ball enough to attack from a faked dribble handoff (etc) then you have a very clear use case next year. If you can't develop those skills, I have to play you at the 5 and you'll be in a minutes battle with a 7'2" freshman.

    Then let Sean decide if he wants to bet on himself. If he doesn't, godspeed. But that still doesn't change the fact that another college team can't really play him at the 4 unless he improves the requisite skills. He just may not be in a minutes fight at the 5 if he fails.

    So back to your original point, if the Stewart camp wants him playing the 4 he should stay at Duke in any case. If the Stewart camp just wants the easiest path to minutes, then he probably shouldn't stay at Duke - although that would not seem the most logical requirement that they'd be seeking.

    - Chillin

  19. #1459
    Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I cannot agree that "just about every Duke fan" felt that Sean Stewart should have played more minutes this past season. I do not think so and I don't know that the majority of Duke fans feel that way.

    I do not doubt his family thought he should have played more. It certainly is open to debate whether he should have.

    I also think there is no guarantee if Sean has a good year (not even great, but shows progress), that he will not leave after his sophomore year because the NBA will draft him based on potential.

    So I am beginning to feel that trying to keep a freshman or sophomore in the fold does not guarantee more than one season, similar to a transfer. Which makes me sad.
    Maybe not "every", but it certainly seems to be the prevailing thought on the subject. BTW I'm not saying the opinion is correct, fans always overestimate the abilities of the guys not getting playing time, that's how you have the backup QB syndrome.
    But I agree that it's entirely possible if Stewart had a season where he was as good as we think Brown will be, he's going to get NBA attention and leave anyway, and if he doesn't, he probably doesn't play enough for his liking enter the portal next year. In which case Duke might get more seasons out of Brown then they would Stewart either way.

  20. #1460
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Country, New York State
    Agree

    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Jon tells Stewart, if you (we) can develop your 4 skills to the point where you can knock down a halfway decent three pointer and handle the ball enough to attack from a faked dribble handoff (etc) then you have a very clear use case next year. If you (we) can't develop those skills, I have to play you at the 5 and you'll be in a minutes battle with a 7'2" freshman.

    Then let Sean decide if he wants to bet on himself (and Duke's commitment to him). If he doesn't, godspeed. But that still doesn't change the fact that another college team can't really play him at the 4 unless he improves the requisite skills. He just may not be in a minutes fight at the 5 if he fails.

    So back to your original point, if the Stewart camp wants him playing the 4 he should stay at Duke in any case. If the Stewart camp just wants the easiest path to minutes, then he probably shouldn't stay at Duke - although that would not seem the most logical requirement that they'd be seeking.

    - Chillin
    Agree with this, but would "own" a share in the process as indicated by my bold insertions above...

Similar Threads

  1. Who Stays and Who Goes?
    By BigZ in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1749
    Last Post: 04-14-2023, 05:26 PM
  2. So Who Stays and Who Goes?
    By bshrader in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-13-2022, 10:12 AM
  3. Who Stays - Who Goes
    By BigZ in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 747
    Last Post: 04-20-2020, 06:12 PM
  4. If Singler stays...
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
  5. #15 retired if G stays?
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •