Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I would bet a lot that we aren't bringing in any guards from the portal to play rotation minutes. 2-3 of our four guards will come back and then we have Evans, Blakes, Schutt as candidates to play some SG.
    Realistically, if we’re leaning on Blakes and Schutt for heavy minutes, we’re not a tournament team. Jon is going to want to put some higher level talent around Flagg. He’s not going to want to waste having a talent like Flagg around.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Realistically, if we’re leaning on Blakes and Schutt for heavy minutes, we’re not a tournament team. Jon is going to want to put some higher level talent around Flagg. He’s not going to want to waste having a talent like Flagg around.
    If we only get one of our four guards back, yes Jon should go get a starting guard from the portal. But that's not going to happen.

If we only get one of our four guards back, yes Jon should go get a starting guard from the portal. But that's not going to happen.
    Sounds like you are potentially disputing Jason Evans reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Sounds like you are potentially disputing Jason Evans reporting.
    I don't think the players and coaches even know yet who is coming back, so I don't think Jason knows. And did he say we are only getting one of our four guards back? I never read that.

Mediocre?? We have 12 5* players with eligibility for next year. There is nothing remotely mediocre about the talent level at Duke. Jon is building the program to be excellent year in, year out.
    Right, which is why if the situation calls for it, he will go to the portal. A hypothetical guard rotation of Foster, Blakes, and Schutt with spot minutes from K2 and Harris simply isn’t going to cut it for the type of excellence you hint at above.

Also, there are portal players out there with multiple years of eligibility left. So it’s not like continuity can’t be brought with those guys.

I disagree with this. We'll see what Jon does. I think we'll be a clear Final Four favorite next year with the incoming freshmen and returnees. And I think we'll be a clear Final Four favorite the following year with the Boozer boys and returnees. Instead of this-year-or-bust, let's go for every-year.
    Either you think we’re getting a lot of guys back or you think at least 2 of Schutt, K2, Blakes, or Evans are way better than everyone else thinks they are.

Right, which is why if the situation calls for it, he will go to the portal. A hypothetical guard rotation of Foster, Blakes, and Schutt with spot minutes from K2 and Harris simply isn’t going to cut it for the type of excellence you hint at above.

Also, there are portal players out there with multiple years of eligibility left. So it’s not like continuity can’t be brought with those guys.
    To me, each team is different, so a mixture of 1ADs, returnees, and Portal guys works. This year my favorite player by far was a frosh. It's about the personality and how they mesh within the team, not how long they've been around.

We aren't going to have a guard rotation of Foster, Blakes, Schutt. The sky is not falling! Please just let this play out.

Either you think we’re getting a lot of guys back or you think at least 2 of Schutt, K2, Blakes, or Evans are way better than everyone else thinks they are.
    I'm confident we'll get 2-3 of our 4 guards back. And if I had to bet, I'd bet on 3. It's a great deal for these guys to play basketball for Duke. Except for McCain, they don't have a better option.

I don't think the players and coaches even know yet who is coming back, so I don't think Jason knows. And did he say we are only getting one of our four guards back? I never read that.
    My point was simply that as I read Jason‘s initial comments, we couldn’t be sure of necessarily getting any particular player back. So to assume that we’re definitely going to bring two or three of our four guards back, might not be the truth. I was really responding to your point about us not going into the transfer portal looking for a guard. That may become necessary. That’s all I’m saying.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    To me, each team is different, so a mixture of 1ADs, returnees, and Portal guys works. This year my favorite player by far was a frosh. It's about the personality and how they mesh within the team, not how long they've been around.
    If we need portal guys, I'm confident Jon will go out and get them. But I still think his goal is to have a stocked rotation and roster of recruited homegrown players.

We aren't going to have a guard rotation of Foster, Blakes, Schutt. The sky is not falling! Please just let this play out.
    I agree we won’t. I’m not as confident as you are in regards to who is returning.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    My point was simply that as I read Jason‘s initial comments, we couldn’t be sure of necessarily getting any particular player back. So to assume that we’re definitely going to bring two or three of our four guards back, might not be the truth. I was really responding to your point about us not going into the transfer portal looking for a guard. That may become necessary. That’s all I’m saying.
    You're right. It could become necessary. I guess my confidence comes from knowing generally what options Roach, Proctor and Foster have at Duke vs elsewhere. I expect they'll be rumors every year about transfers but when the dust settles, we'll hang onto most all guys that we want back.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Isn't Khaman Maluach also a generational player?
    No, that term gets thrown around way too easily.

Generational players are those who dominate as Freshmen, those players come along maybe once or twice a decade. There's been only 2 in the last dozen years, Anthony Davis and Zion Williamson.
    I'm not convinced even Flagg is a generational player, much less Malauach.
    Hopefully he'll be more Mo Bamba than Skal Labissiere.

I honestly have no idea what to expect out of Maluach next year. Will Jon park him in the paint like Williams and Lively or use him more like a stretch 5? A Wemby-lite. Can he knock 3s down at 35%+? If he's able to drag the opposing big man to defend outside the lane, it really opens up the middle for Flagg and our other 3 players to attack the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No, that term gets thrown around way too easily.

Generational players are those who dominate as Freshmen, those players come along maybe once or twice a decade. There's been only 2 in the last dozen years, Anthony Davis and Zion Williamson.
    I'm not convinced even Flagg is a generational player, much less Malauach.
    Hopefully he'll be more Mo Bamba than Skal Labissiere.
    And before that was Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I mean, can we wait a day or two... please?

Also, I'm fairly sure every single post with predictions so far is overstating how many players will be back by at least 2.

Do.The.Math.

Duke has 6 players coming in (1 may be injured) and we will not be carrying more than 10 players who expect to play. Stop looking at the 13 player scholarship limit. Duke won't have more than 10 guys who expect to play (and everyone who is a top 50 recruit expects to play).

Duke will be active in the portal too.
    I don’t understand this post. I get the first part - Duke right now has 10 players with eligibility and 6 incoming players so at least 6 likely leave/decommit, but I don’t see how the second part fits with how Duke could be active in the portal as well. That would require like 10 departures for it to be worthwhile for an impact transfer to come, plus most players in the portal would not be as good as the players transferring out (I’d rather have Foster and Mitchell for example than almost any player in the portal). Maybe the “culture” and “bond” that brought players back this year was a fluke and Duke will have a mass exodus and the portal will be necessary, but I would hope we could put together an outstanding team with the players we currently have and the sheer numbers seem like this is most likely as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I don’t understand this post. I get the first part - Duke right now has 10 players with eligibility and 6 incoming players so at least 6 likely leave/decommit, but I don’t see how the second part fits with how Duke could be active in the portal as well. That would require like 10 departures for it to be worthwhile for an impact transfer to come, plus most players in the portal would not be as good as the players transferring out (I’d rather have Foster and Mitchell for example than almost any player in the portal). Maybe the “culture” and “bond” that brought players back this year was a fluke and Duke will have a mass exodus and the portal will be necessary, but I would hope we could put together an outstanding team with the players we currently have and the sheer numbers seem like this is most likely as well.
    This is where I am too. I'd be shocked if we bring in any rotation players from the portal. We are loaded with 5* talent at every position.

You're right. It could become necessary. I guess my confidence comes from knowing generally what options Roach, Proctor and Foster have at Duke vs elsewhere. I expect they'll be rumors every year about transfers but when the dust settles, we'll hang onto most all guys that we want back.
    Foster may have the option to be the primary ball handler elsewhere. That could be a factor. I see the likelihood of seeing those 3 at Duke next year as being highly remote.

Foster may have the option to be the primary ball handler elsewhere. That could be a factor. I see the likelihood of seeing those 3 at Duke next year as being highly remote.
    I think that is the risk. If only one of Proctor or Roach returns, I think Foster returns. If both Proctor and Roach return, then Foster may elect to transfer even though he'd get starters minutes at Duke.