Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Jeremy is a great competitor, but confidence in his outside shooting seems to be gone. Not sure what can be done.
    Same with Proctor. His shooting at times is awful.

Duke's backcourt without McCain has little to contribute on the offensive perimeter. Duke will once again have two-three players contributing on offense and two or three there only to occupy the defense when playing good teams I'm afraid.
    i'm sorry, but this is just a stupid comment. Jeremy had the best 3FG% on the team, and all of our guards offered good things throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Judging by JEs comments, I'm not confident in anyone returning, as painful as that is to say.
    His post definitely didnít leave me feeling in any way optimistic, thatís for sure.

For Sure Gone
    Flip
    McCain

Likely Gone
    Roach
    Reeves
    Mitchell
    Blakes

50/50
    Foster
    Power
    Stewart
    Schutt

Probably Back
    Proctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    He built that over the first three months. He hasn't hit consistently from 3 for what seems like two months.
    Knee and ankle injuries definitely hurt Roachís shooting.

-jk

Stewart and Cooper Flagg are close friends. I think Sean stays, mho.
    Anybody who isn't familiar with Flagg should watch McD's All-American game Tuesday night.
    I think the chance to play with him at Duke would be a great opportunity. It's going to be quite a show. Maybe even bigger than Zion's year.
    Last edited by weezie; 03-31-2024 at 10:36 PM.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Roach, Proctor, Foster, Stewart, Power, Evans, Flagg, Maluach

That's an 8-man bada** rotation.

K2, Harris, Schutt, Ngongba and either Blakes or Reeves fill out the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Knee and ankle injuries definitely hurt Roach’s shooting.

-jk
    Not to mention Jeremy dislocated his finger two days ago. Not many pro players would have been out there with that injury. Roach gave everything he had to Duke. Everything
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    His post definitely didnít leave me feeling in any way optimistic, thatís for sure.

For Sure Gone
    Flip
    McCain

Likely Gone
    Roach
    Reeves
    Mitchell
    Blakes

50/50
    Foster
    Power
    Stewart
    Schutt

Probably Back
    Proctor
    Back when Edgecombe chose Baylor, it was generally thought to not be a big recruiting miss. It may turn out to be a huge recruiting miss. But weíll see what shakes out over the next couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Roach, Proctor, Foster, Stewart, Power, Evans, Flagg, Maluach

That's an 8-man bada** rotation.

K2, Harris, Schutt, Ngongba and either Blakes or Reeves fill out the roster.
    You're not getting 3 of Roach, Proctor, and Foster.

For Sure Gone
    Flip
    McCain

Likely Gone
    Roach
    Reeves
    Mitchell
    Blakes

50/50
    Foster
    Power
    Stewart
    Schutt

Probably Back
    Proctor
    I mostly agree with this, although if only one of Foster or Proctor stays, I'd prefer Foster. I think we need shooters at the 1-3 and that isn't Proctor.

Not being major players in the Portal is like a Pro team saying they won't do free agency. It's suicide. I don't know who in the Administration can change our academic policies (if that is what's truly holding us back) but they better get on that ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    You're not getting 3 of Roach, Proctor, and Foster.
    We will see. That's 27 min per game splitting time at PG and SG. We could also run some 3-guard lineups.

We had all three plus OAD McCain this year so it would be a lot less crowded backcourt next year. Foster will get plenty of minutes. But he may want to be tge lead PG somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    I mostly agree with this, although if only one of Foster or Proctor stays, I'd prefer Foster. I think we need shooters at the 1-3 and that isn't Proctor.

Not being major players in the Portal is like a Pro team saying they won't do free agency. It's suicide. I don't know who in the Administration can change our academic policies (if that is what's truly holding us back) but they better get on that ASAP.
    We won't be a major player in the portal. We are getting older with recruited talent in that 15-30 range. It doesn't happen overnight. It takes 2-3 years. If you bring in rotation players in the portal over guys like Foster, Power, Stewart then they will transfer out and you'll be forever chasing your tail like Carolina.

We will see. That's 27 min per game splitting time at PG and SG. We could also run some 3-guard lineups.

We had all three plus OAD McCain this year so it would be a lot less crowded backcourt next year. Foster will get plenty of minutes. But he may want to be tge lead PG somewhere.
    Like proelitedota, I see almost zero chance of this happening. I think we would be a FF contender if it did, but it wonít. Foster really wants to be the lead guard. Scheyer is going to have to go hard in the portal for a couple guards.

Who stays and who goes will work itself out, and we will be fine either way.

There was a massive amount for our coach to learn this year, and his job is not really about x's and o's, but rather now to manage the locker room in an absurdly changing era -- money, social media, transfers, etc.

I did not like what I saw on the court today in the second half, and I am not talking about our struggles on offense or defense. I saw Duke players giving dirty looks to each other and making it obvious that they blamed others for the mistakes we made. Mistakes are ok, losses are ok, but that kind of incredibly poor teamwork is absolutely not. '

I wonder if some of you saw the same thing. No matter who our players are next year, their number one priority has to be supporting each other. Even the star of the team has to be committed to supporting his teammates above all. Even the player who struggles the most must be given encouragement from his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Like proelitedota, I see almost zero chance of this happening. I think we would be a FF contender if it did, but it wonít. Foster really wants to be the lead guard. Scheyer is going to have to go hard in the portal for a couple guards.
    I would bet a lot that we aren't bringing in any guards from the portal to play rotation minutes. 2-3 of our four guards will come back and then we have Evans, Blakes, Schutt as candidates to play some SG.

We won't be a major player in the portal. We are getting older with recruited talent in that 15-30 range. It doesn't happen overnight. It takes 2-3 years. If you bring in rotation players in the portal over guys like Foster, Power, Stewart then they will transfer out and you'll be forever chasing your tail like Carolina.
    But you want to take advantage of a generational player like Cooper Flagg coming in. We need to assemble the best talent possible around him and really make a push for the Final Four. This upcoming season should not be dedicated to long-term building. Not when you get a Cooper Flagg. You have to dedicate it to win now or bust. Whatever that takes, you go for it. Bringing players back that might be thinking about leaving. Bringing in transfers. Grad players. Whatever it takes. But you can’t waste an opportunity like this, because they only come around once every couple of decades.

I disagree. Scheyer isnít going to be content with a mediocre at-best team just in an effort to build for future seasons. Heíll be looking at the portal intently this spring and summer. Especially if weíre down to only 1 guard on the roster that has even shown an ability to contribute in ACC play.

But you want to take advantage of a generational player like Cooper Flagg coming in. We need to assemble the best talent possible around him and really make a push for the Final Four. This upcoming season should not be dedicated to long-term building. Not when you get a Cooper Flagg You have to dedicate it to win now or bust. Whatever that takes, you go for it. Bringing players back that might be thinking about leaving. Bringing in transfers. Grad players. Whatever it takes. But you canít waste an opportunity like this, because they only come around once every couple of decades.
    Pretend like Jeremy Roach was in the portal. Is there another guard we'd target ahead of Roach? No. I'm surprised at all the doom and gloom on here about departures after we brought Flip, Mitchell, Proctor back last year. Our NIL draw on top of all the other benefits of playing at Duke is very strong. We may want to get a Ryan Young type big in the portal, but I'm not expecting anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I disagree. Scheyer isnít going to be content with a mediocre at-best team just in an effort to build for future seasons. Heíll be looking at the portal intently this spring and summer. Especially if weíre down to only 1 guard on the roster that has even shown an ability to contribute in ACC play.
    Mediocre?? We have 12 5* players with eligibility for next year. There is nothing remotely mediocre about the talent level at Duke. Jon is building the program to be excellent year in, year out.

But you want to take advantage of a generational player like Cooper Flagg coming in. We need to assemble the best talent possible around him and really make a push for the Final Four. This upcoming season should not be dedicated to long-term building. Not when you get a Cooper Flagg. You have to dedicate it to win now or bust. Whatever that takes, you go for it. Bringing players back that might be thinking about leaving. Bringing in transfers. Grad players. Whatever it takes. But you canít waste an opportunity like this, because they only come around once every couple of decades.
    Isn't Khaman Maluach also a generational player?

But you want to take advantage of a generational player like Cooper Flagg coming in. We need to assemble the best talent possible around him and really make a push for the Final Four. This upcoming season should not be dedicated to long-term building. Not when you get a Cooper Flagg. You have to dedicate it to win now or bust. Whatever that takes, you go for it. Bringing players back that might be thinking about leaving. Bringing in transfers. Grad players. Whatever it takes. But you canít waste an opportunity like this, because they only come around once every couple of decades.
    I disagree with this. We'll see what Jon does. I think we'll be a clear Final Four favorite next year with the incoming freshmen and returnees. And I think we'll be a clear Final Four favorite the following year with the Boozer boys and returnees. Instead of this-year-or-bust, let's go for every-year.