Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Agree with this. UConn is in a dramatically different place than they were in 2018. In my mind, the next 5-10 seasons will tell whether UConn is really the top program or merely in a similar place to where Florida was in 2007 ...
    Florida won back-to-back, b/c we choked in the George Mason Final8 game in DC ... should be 7 championships now

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    UCONN is obviously the premier program the last 25 years. Danny Hurley is the top in-game coach and the media really appreciates his honesty and his interviews are compelling. I also like the toughness his teams exude at all positions consistently. That being said, now Duke knows what the current standard is and has the talent coming in to compete. I’m high on next season but measured. There are a few things that UConn/Hurley do well in game that frankly other coaches can borrow a page from to get their players to be more tough and consistent.
    What do you see as things that Hurley is doing to make his players more tough and consistent that Coach Scheyer is not doing?

Hurley had some choice words about what he perceived as special ref treatment for Edey in his interview with Pat McAfee today.

“I was on [the referees’] I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.,” Hurley told Pat McAfee on Tuesday. “The dude [Edey], I mean, he’s a giant, man. He’s a 'Game of Thrones' giant out there and it’s like, there’s this three-second rule that they seem to ignore a lot with him. He’s very physical, and then, you know, they call a touch foul.”
    https://www.si.com/college/2024/04/0...edey-treatment

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Florida won back-to-back, b/c we choked in the George Mason Final8 game in DC ... should be 7 championships now
    Can't play ifs and buts with uconns tournament "luck".

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What do you see as things that Hurley is doing to make his players more tough and consistent that Coach Scheyer is not doing?
    Energy on the bench is the most visible difference.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Energy on the bench is the most visible difference.
    UVA's natty team was tough and consistent and didn't have a yeller on the bench. Kids can be motivated with different approaches and different personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hurley had some choice words about what he perceived as special ref treatment for Edey in his interview with Pat McAfee today.

“I was on [the referees’] I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.,” Hurley told Pat McAfee on Tuesday. “The dude [Edey], I mean, he’s a giant, man. He’s a 'Game of Thrones' giant out there and it’s like, there’s this three-second rule that they seem to ignore a lot with him. He’s very physical, and then, you know, they call a touch foul.”
    https://www.si.com/college/2024/04/0...edey-treatment
    It is frustrating that the three second rule seems to have mostly been abandoned. It's not just Edey, though. If you went through tape of the season, how many times do you think they could have called three seconds on Bacot?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Ok, we choked in 2019, 2018, 2002, and 1999. Oh and that Brickey injury really hurt in '89, that's another. Throw in suspect officiating in 2004. Yeah, Should be 11 championships now.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    It is frustrating that the three second rule seems to have mostly been abandoned. It's not just Edey, though. If you went through tape of the season, how many times do you think they could have called three seconds on Bacot?
    A lot. Can't count that high.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Ok, we choked in 2019, 2018, 2002, and 1999. Oh and that Brickey injury really hurt in '89, that's another. Throw in suspect officiating in 2004. Yeah, Should be 11 championships now.
    I agree, except for the referee part

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    For my money the 2004 semi-final game against UCONN was the most unfairly officiated game that adversely impacted Duke. I attended the game in San Antonio, which was a terrific venue for the Final Four and would be happy to return next season.

Emeka Ocafor, UCONN’s decorated center, was in first half foul trouble and played only 22 minutes, yet in the second half Duke’s three big men — Williams, Randolph, and Horvath all fouled out mostly trying to guard Okafor. I rewatched the game looking for uncalled fouls by Okafor. I counted 8 or 9 fouls on him. He ended the game with three fouls. I noted the game time for each of his “fouls” and posted it on DBR. That activity on my part probably qualifies as obsessive, but it partially explains my antipathy towards UCONN.