Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Welcome, Pat. You've raised a fine young man. He's given a lot to Duke on and off the court in his two short years. Sky is the limit for Ryan as a coach or an announcer or an investment banker or... Some of my favorite plays this year were watching Ryan dive headfirst for loose balls. Max effort! Great example for the younger guys...

Thank you Ryan.

You have given hope to all players who have that YMCA game, that they can make it at the top level!

Ryan Young, man of the people.

Proud to have him in the Duke family.

Ryan Young is a really good guy and an outstanding representative of Duke University. He'll be successful at whatever he chooses. I'm going to miss seeing his hustle and enthusiasm. Thank you and good luck, Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want everyone to know that Ryan Young's father, Pat, is aware of this thread and plans to post some comments in the coming hours.

Pat is a great guy and loves chatting with Duke fans but I would ask that everyone be very respectful and not bombard him with PMs. Welcome him to our community without being overly aggressive. You can post whatever you like to this thread, but I would like to keep his real email box somewhat clean by not having too many PMs sent his way.

Thanks for understanding.
    Great! Then I will reiterate my preseason belief that Ryan would absolutely be a game changer in a handful of games, and I was not disappointed! He was critical especially against Houston. I wish he could have cut down some nets this season, but so pleased about how he left EVERYTHING on the floor.

If all our players gave what Ryan did, we would not have questioned our team's toughness.

Young was instrumental in getting the team through the early stages of Scheyer's first year, especially as Lively was hurt and/or getting back up to speed. And he was instrumental in helping us get to the Elite-8 this year. For a kid who was a backup at Northwestern to make the jump to Duke and be a leader on two very young teams, I can't say enough positive things about him.

Young was not the most athletic dude in the ACC, but with savvy and hustle he got everything out of what he had. And he never got cheated on effort. Will miss having him on the team next year.

Hi All, I have been following DBR forums and the podcast for about 2 years now and have not posted. I wanted to say how much our family has appreciated Duke, the basketball program, and the fans. Duke has been great for Ryan, and he appreciates all the support from fans over the last few years.

I have really appreciated everyone on the DBR forums (and of course Jason, Donald, and Sam's) comments about Ryan's value to the team and program. For the last 2 years I have really enjoyed the content on this forum and the fact that it is always thoughtful, smart and sensible. You have a great thing going here!

This journey for Ryan has never really been about ending up in the NBA, but to get the best education he could get by attending great schools that had Big 5 conference basketball. In the last 2 years at Duke, it was really about having an impact on the team and program that would not necessarily just mean what he could do on the floor during games.

Of course, my wife and I are incredibly proud of the person Ryan has become, but it really means a lot to know that many others in the Duke community see and appreciate all the leadership, mentorship and hard work he has tried to bring to the program. We are incredibly thankful for the opportunity he has had at Duke.

We both went to Syracuse but are now Duke fans for life as well. While I may not be following it as closely as we have the last 2 years, we will always pull for Duke, with Ryan as part of the Brotherhood! Thank you so much for all the comments here. I passed them on to Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by youngpat View Post
    Hi All, I have been following DBR forums and the podcast for about 2 years now and have not posted. I wanted to say how much our family has appreciated Duke, the basketball program, and the fans. Duke has been great for Ryan, and he appreciates all the support from fans over the last few years.

I have really appreciated everyone on the DBR forums (and of course Jason, Donald, and Sam's) comments about Ryan's value to the team and program. For the last 2 years I have really enjoyed the content on this forum and the fact that it is always thoughtful, smart and sensible. You have a great thing going here!

This journey for Ryan has never really been about ending up in the NBA, but to get the best education he could get by attending great schools that had Big 5 conference basketball. In the last 2 years at Duke, it was really about having an impact on the team and program that would not necessarily just mean what he could do on the floor during games.

Of course, my wife and I are incredibly proud of the person Ryan has become, but it really means a lot to know that many others in the Duke community see and appreciate all the leadership, mentorship and hard work he has tried to bring to the program. We are incredibly thankful for the opportunity he has had at Duke.

We both went to Syracuse but are now Duke fans for life as well. While I may not be following it as closely as we have the last 2 years, we will always pull for Duke, with Ryan as part of the Brotherhood! Thank you so much for all the comments here. I passed them on to Ryan.
    It's very special to have your comments here in our community. I sincerely hope Ryan the best wherever life leads him next.

Thank you so much for stopping by and posting your comments. Ryan has been not only such a competitor for Duke, but such an ambassador for The Brotherhood. His leadership, both on and off of the court, will certainly be missed. I know for myself personally, I'll never forget his dunks this year in Cassell Coliseum (a recent house of horrors for Duke) and vs Houston in the Sweet 16. Best wishes to Ryan in his next endeavor!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Sir, I want to sincerely thank you on behalf of all of us for symbolically lending us your son for the past two years

All kidding aside, I really hope Ryan enjoyed his time at Duke as much as I/we enjoyed watching him. Not only was he an asset on the court (more of one than many give him credit for!), but he was such a great representative for the program off the court as well. I truly believe that a decade from now Duke fans will still be talking about Ryan Young the way we talk about many of our cult heroes because of how important he was in this transition period for the program. As someone who comes from Big 10 country (my secondary allegiance is to Michigan, and my sister happens to be a fellow NU alum!) I knew we were getting a diamond in the rough when Ryan committed, and it was awesome getting proven right

Please relay to Ryan how much the Duke community appreciates everything he's done the past two years. As you said, he's part of The Brotherhood forever now, and I hope that means we get to see more of him... just make sure when/if he goes into Sports Media full time he doesn't put the DBR podcast out of business as a competitor, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Young was instrumental in getting the team through the early stages of Scheyer's first year, especially as Lively was hurt and/or getting back up to speed. .

I came here to say this. People have short term memories, but when last season started off bumpy, Ryan really put the team on his back and was a huge contributor, and at times, the only contributor, on offense while the team figured out their identity. His heart and tough play really made a tangible impact in games like against Houston. He will be missed.

Its hard to think of a player that made such a positive impact in just a 2 year tenure like Ryan has. Roshown McCleod is the main one that comes to mind. Different circumstances. McCleod was brought in to help score and be a starter. Young was brought in for his experience, hustle and defense. Both were very important parts of their respective teams in times of transition.

Can’t say enough about Ryan. We were lucky as a fan base to have him. Smart, savvy, leaves it all on the court every night. He just knew how to play & make his teammates better at the same time. Just going on the podcasts & interviews he is funny & puts everyone at ease. Other players like & trust him. He will be missed for sure.

Pat

Thank you for these wonderful thoughts. We have been really lucky to have Ryan these last two years.

Ryan represented the best of what the Brotherhood can be. Will always remember him in my annals of favorite Duke players of all time (Meagher, Nessley, Dawkins, the Jones boys, Lively, a few more). Thanks Ryan! And thanks, Pat.

Pat - thanks for posting. We all loved having Ryan on the team these last two years. We just wish the season had lasted until next Monday night and we were cutting down the nets.

It's impressive that you are up to two "Zporkz" in just 2 1/2 hours since your first post. I'm glad that I could add mine to your total!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This was the first season my 7 year old really watched games and paid attention, and you should know that his absolute favorite player all season was Ryan Young. The other day I had to explain to the little guy that Ryan won’t be able to come back next season, and he was almost in tears (much more upset about losing Ryan than he was when the team lost to NC State). I explained that’s just how it works in college basketball, just like he’s moving on to 2nd grade, Ryan is moving on to the next step. Anyway, all that is to say: thank you Ryan!

Ryan is the type of player everyone would love to have as teammate. I managed multiple teams over the years and players like Ryan do not come often. I will miss that young man! Can't wait to follow his journey!

Long time DBR member and class of '76 alum, but also a Duke fan since the days of Dick DeVenzio and Randy Denton, so I have a large and growing number of Blue Devil heroes/favorite players. Your son will always be in that number for me as long as I am on this earth and watching/reading about/obsessing over Duke basketball. It's my fantasy that Ryan will find his way onto John Scheyer's bench and we get to keep Ryan around the program for years to come. I know that whatever he decides to do next, he will be a success and be a huge asset to whomever is fortunate to land him. Thanks Ryan for your immense and varied contributions to the Duke basketball program and community. Thanks, Ryan's dad for your absolute mensch of a son and for your lovely forum post. I hope we get to hear from you again.

If everyone played as hard as Ryan (and Jaylen) did, we would probably never have lost a game. He will be missed.