Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Program was in great shape, roster was in terrible shape at transition.
    I think we are all ignoring the fact that Jon was the top assistant and chief recruiter for Duke, and -sure there were only 2 major holdovers- but his incoming class was superb, as have been his classes each year since. This is unlike most coaching changes, and I'd like to emphasise that.
    Plus, had K returned for the '22-23 season, he would have had the same roster and recruits to work with as Jon. The one-and-done system always leaves one with a poor holdover roster, as the new recruits need room!
    Back to the usual rosterbation!
    JStuart (who thinks Jon is the best possible successor to Coach K).

Reading this thread comes with a surprising amount of whiplash. It's either great or terrible, Scheyer is amazing or can't hack it.

It was a brutal half to end the season on in my opinion, we got both outplayed and outcoached in this game. However, we had a good season with moments of greatness (and moments of bad), lead by a good coach with moments of greatness (and moments of bad), with good players with great games (and some bad games). Our ACC performance was an underperformance IMO, but the Elite 8 was overperforming. While players like Flip and Mitchell didn't take the jumps I'd hoped, we weren't a pretty good team with some flashes. Ignoring this last game I think Proctor had a good season and truly hope he comes back. I'd like to see a better offensive identity next year with more offensive sets beyond high ball screens into iso, my biggest criticisms of Scheyer this year are on that end of the court.

Scheyer is only in his 2nd year as a head coach, has an ACCT win and an Elite 8 appearance. Can't complain about that! But he is only a 2nd year head coach and coaching Duke means it's fair to expect him to improve on Xs and Os/midgame adjustments, and I think he will.

Now...who the hell plays next year?! Our roster is enormous.

I don't know if people are following this, but this guys has been on this since the tournament started.

He claims that the official balls for the NCAA tournament was overinflated at certain sites which lead to the ball being too bouncy and terrible shooting from teams that generally shoot well from 3.

https://x.com/BobbyPfor3/status/1775...227892887?s=20 watch this as he predicted Dallas would be the site with the worst affected shooting numbers before last weekend started.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I donít think Edey is going to have to go for fakes. I think he will stay on his feet and just put a hand in his face. I donít think Burns will be able to effectively score on him.
    Agree. They weigh about the same, so NC States' girthy, semi-pro postman playing in his sixth year, will have leverage down low to move Edey, but will still have a hard time getting the ball up against Purdue's lumbering tower, immune-to-foul-calls, big man. IMO, the winner of this battle will be determined principally by officiating and whether or not they continue to call every touch on Edey a foul whilst letting him camp in the paint, smack opposing players across the face while wildly swinging his arms to maintain balance, and let both men push and shove on each other...or call the pushing fouls and foul both out in the first half so the audience can watch some basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't know if people are following this, but this guys has been on this since the tournament started.

He claims that the official balls for the NCAA tournament was overinflated at certain sites which lead to the ball being too bouncy and terrible shooting from teams that generally shoot well from 3.

https://x.com/BobbyPfor3/status/1775...227892887?s=20 watch this as he predicted Dallas would be the site with the worst affected shooting numbers before last weekend started.
    Oh. Yay...lucky us! This guy blames it on NCAA incompetence. Sounds about right to me. I swear, I have GOT to stop looking at the box score from our last game because the shooting numbers are just comically, unbelievably bad. As a TEAM, we had exactly ONE more made FG than did DJ Burns by himself! Duke players not named Jared McCain shot 11-48 FOR THE GAME. I'm 56 and haven't picked up a basketball in years, but I'd be willing to bet $100 that I could hit better than 22.9% if you gave me like 15 mid-range shots AND guarded me (ok...lightly guarded me)! In case it's not clear, we had SEVEN combined players make 11 shots in total for the whole friggin' game! State made more 2 pt FGs in only the second half (17) than we did for the entire game. What in the holy heck is that about? Ugh, I really need to move on to the...next play.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Fair that I donít want him to embarrass us as a school in the pressers. But at the end of the day, itís the results on the court that will decide his future, not off it (or at least, if itís off the court, there is only downside).
    Probably true. How many times does he need to win the ACC tournament reach the Elite Eight before you fire him?

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    While I largely agree with you, I did think CBS was trolling us during the game. Every Burns highlight showed him pushing off with his free hand before the shot.

My comment wasn't limited to Burns. An awful lot of contact is allowed all over the court. While constant whistles can bog down a game, constant mugging makes it ugly.
    1000% co-sign. I think I even mentioned in the in-game thread that a clear DJB push-off was a highlight coming out of a timeout! grrrr

-c

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Probably true. How many times does he need to win the ACC tournament reach the Elite Eight before you fire him?
    This is Duke. We need to see at least a National Championship every 3 years or it's obvious we picked the wrong coach. Should we not have high standards? He's earned himself another year but we'll be watching him closely.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    This is Duke. We need to see at least a National Championship every 3 years or it's obvious we picked the wrong coach. Should we not have high standards? He's earned himself another year but we'll be watching him closely.
    FINALLY, my man, SkyBrickey, steps up and speaks his mind! I had a feeling your level-headed, nice guy persona was a put-on.

Still, I think a natty every four years might be a tad more realistic. Letís not go off half-cocked, okay?