Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I often think about Chris Rock’s 1999 "Bigger and Blacker" show. In it, he laments the fact that there hasn’t been a cure for a disease since Polio (remember this is a comedy bit). Anyway, he speculates that there is no incentive to cure disease, but the real financial incentive is to create a treatment. “The money is in the comeback” he says. I wonder if there is a grain of truth in it. I hope not.

*******By the way, my above statement has nothing to do with alopecia. I didn't even think about Chris Rock's issue at the oscars until after I wrote it. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wow, that's a hell of a stat. We watched as my MIL had to deal with long lasting case, it was very hard for her. Not long after, both my wife and I got our vaccines.
    Yeah, very scary. My wife and I are also vaxxed for shingles.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's very effective for some people. It doesn't do much at all for others.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Researchers have developed an "inverse vaccine" that is showing real promise against autoimmune diseases. This would be huge.

https://mag.uchicago.edu/science-med...ning-immunity#
    Announcements like this are very heartening, but it is extremely common for really effective therapies to take a decade or two or three to develop. Looooooong way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Announcements like this are very heartening, but it is extremely common for really effective therapies to take a decade or two or three to develop. Looooooong way to go.
    Fair words of caution, thank you for the reminder. I've been heartened by how quickly "normal timetables" are thrown out the window when it comes to things as diverse as replacing highway overpasses and the Covid vaccines (and I hope the bridge in Baltimore).

Does anyone have an idea of potential timetables based on the below?

* "Researchers have carried out initial phase I safety trials of a glycosylation-modified antigen therapy in people with celiac disease—an autoimmune disease associated with eating wheat, barley, and rye—and phase I safety trials are underway in people with multiple sclerosis."

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    * "Researchers have carried out initial phase I safety trials of a glycosylation-modified antigen therapy in people with celiac disease—an autoimmune disease associated with eating wheat, barley, and rye—and phase I safety trials are underway in people with multiple sclerosis."
    Anywhere from 3 years to never, depending on what the trials show. Three years to market is pretty short, and that's even if the trials go really well. It has to be a priority project for that to happen. People don't really realize how fast the COVID vaccine development actually was. The average time for Phase I to market is about a decade.

I got hardened to this stuff back in my technology days. It's great that people announce possible major breakthroughs but very frequently they never become commercially viable. Here's hoping this one does.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I got hardened to this stuff back in my technology days. It's great that people announce possible major breakthroughs but very frequently they never become commercially viable. Here's hoping this one does.
    I'm still waiting for my 30 minute commercial flight from LA to NY that I read was coming back in the 80s.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm still waiting for my 30 minute commercial flight from LA to NY that I read was coming back in the 80s.
    or nuclear generated energy to your home that would be too cheap to meter!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly.

-jk
    Wow - didn't know that! I want to read the study - do you remember where you read about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Im very sorry to hear your dad had such a terrible, life ending experience!

I also had chicken pox twice (as a kid). Now youve got me wondering whether or not I should get the Shingles vaccines.
    Sounds like you haven't had Shingles. I have. Then I got the vaccine, and I really don't like getting vaccinated too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Wow - didn't know that! I want to read the study - do you remember where you read about this?
    From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8249351/

Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), defined as pain or itch beyond 3 months after the onset of the zoster rash, is the most common complication of HZ. It occurs in approximately 30% of HZO patients and mostly in those with disease onset at age 65 or older (27). Risk factors for the development of PHN include increased age, severity of acute pain and rash, as well as HZO. The proportion of HZO patients with PHN has reported to be higher in recent years for unknown reasons, since the age at onset is decreasing (3). PHN may occur more frequently than evident by chart review when determined by self-report among older, male and unvaccinated patients who are less likely to care (28). HZ has been reported in population-based studies to be a risk factor for the development of major depression (29) and has also been reported to be the most common cause of suicide due to pain among people age 70 years and older (30).

-jk

Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly.

-jk
    From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8249351/

Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), defined as pain or itch beyond 3 months after the onset of the zoster rash, is the most common complication of HZ. It occurs in approximately 30% of HZO patients and mostly in those with disease onset at age 65 or older (27). Risk factors for the development of PHN include increased age, severity of acute pain and rash, as well as HZO. The proportion of HZO patients with PHN has reported to be higher in recent years for unknown reasons, since the age at onset is decreasing (3). PHN may occur more frequently than evident by chart review when determined by self-report among older, male and unvaccinated patients who are less likely to care (28). HZ has been reported in population-based studies to be a risk factor for the development of major depression (29) and has also been reported to be the most common cause of suicide due to pain among people age 70 years and older (30).

-jk
    Seems to me that Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly. is different from the most common cause of suicide due to pain among people age 70 years and older.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Sounds like you haven't had Shingles. I have. Then I got the vaccine, and I really don't like getting vaccinated too much.
    The shingles vaccine is no picnic, but compared to shingles it is...I was ultra lucky to catch my case just as it barely developed so it was easy to treat.
    If you even think you might be coming down with a case, get to the doc and get the anti virals ASAP...I'm so grateful I did.

The shingles vaccine is no picnic, but compared to shingles it is...I was ultra lucky to catch my case just as it barely developed so it was easy to treat.
    If you even think you might be coming down with a case, get to the doc and get the anti virals ASAP...I'm so grateful I did.
    That's what happened with my mom. She had the old shingles vaccine, then got shingles about a year and a half later. Woke up early to the feeling that something was crawling through her eyebrow. It occurred to her what it probably was, so she went straight to Urgent Care. They agreed with the diagnosis and put her on anti-virals right away. Literally within a couple of hours of the onset of symptoms. She had a mild case as a result, but it still was not pleasant for her and it came scarily close to her eye. Months later, her dermatologist could tell on her scalp exactly where the singles had hit.

We have both had the Shingrix shots, it kicked our butts, but we have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Seems to me that Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly. is different from the most common cause of suicide due to pain among people age 70 years and older.
    Sure, which is why I said a leading cause.

Still not the world of hurt I want.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    That's what happened with my mom. She had the old shingles vaccine, then got shingles about a year and a half later. Woke up early to the feeling that something was crawling through her eyebrow. It occurred to her what it probably was, so she went straight to Urgent Care. They agreed with the diagnosis and put her on anti-virals right away. Literally within a couple of hours of the onset of symptoms. She had a mild case as a result, but it still was not pleasant for her and it came scarily close to her eye. Months later, her dermatologist could tell on her scalp exactly where the singles had hit.

We have both had the Shingrix shots, it kicked our butts, but we have no regrets.
    my wife and I were renting a house on Topsail Island and my arm was itching like crazy for two days, wondered if we had bed bugs in the house...but the savvy Doc In a Box noted the itching was all along one particular nerve in my left arm, voila. Diagnosis only confirmed the next day when I was on the antivirals, my arm erupted all over, but it was a last gasp by the shingles.