Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    It was spectacular in Indianapolis. 3.5 minutes of totality and I admit that it brought me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    It was spectacular in Indianapolis. 3.5 minutes of totality and I admit that it brought me to tears.
    Wow, thatís really something. 😎

Youíre very fortunate to have had that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oh no, not necessarily the song you want to hear while having breakfast. 😬

Itís actually a good song. But the association with ďSilenceĒ is too strong.

One of my all-time favorite movies, though. 🍿
    I low key like it.but the movie flashes in my head everytime.

My favorite view of the eclipse was during coverage of it's time over Burlington, Vermont.

Here's a pic.

eclipse-24-Burlington-VT.jpg

Totality in Dublin Ohio. When totality hit, it was incredible. Definitely worth putting effort in to see. Even better to sit in my back yard and have it delivered!

2024 eclipse original.jpg

Really cool when zoomed

2024 Eclipse zoomed .jpg
    Fahr zur HŲlle, Carolina, fahr zur HŲlle

This eclipse was cool and all but what Iím really waiting for is a Lunar eclipse - you know with the sun exactly between the moon and earth. Now that will be something!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    This eclipse was cool and all but what Iím really waiting for is a Lunar eclipse - you know with the sun exactly between the moon and earth. Now that will be something!
    When that happens, don't forget your sunscreen!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So happy for everyone that got to be there for totality, that's so cool! We were "there" for it in SC, until 5 minutes before the magic moment and a thunderstorm decided to rain on our parade.
    I've been enjoying some wonderful photos this morning.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My favorite view of the eclipse was during coverage of it's time over Burlington, Vermont.

Here's a pic.

eclipse-24-Burlington-VT.jpg
    Vermont was overrun. Know two people who drive to Boston post eclipse. Usually a four hour drive. Took them 16 hours. Got home 8 a m Coyotes went nuts

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    When that happens, don't forget your sunscreen!
    Good advice! Will I need those dark glasses?
    The American Democracy Experiment - fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So happy for everyone that got to be there for totality, that's so cool! We were "there" for it in SC, until 5 minutes before the magic moment and a thunderstorm decided to rain on our parade.
    I've been enjoying some wonderful photos this morning.
    Agree .we got the same stormed in my area in 17.

create a picture online for free
    Glad others got to enjoy it.we did make thr most of the partial though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Agree .we got the same stormed in my area in 17.
    That photo captures it perfectly, lol! We watched at Middleton Plantation. It was cool watching how their animals reacted. We stayed under the overhang of the barn for a good 30 minutes waiting for it pass, and finally gave up and made a mad dash for our car. The socks I wore are probably still wet, it was Noah's Ark level rain.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That photo captures it perfectly, lol! We watched at Middleton Plantation. It was cool watching how their animals reacted. We stayed under the overhang of the barn for a good 30 minutes waiting for it pass, and finally gave up and made a mad dash for our car. The socks I wore are probably still wet, it was Noah's Ark level rain.
    That makes sense .it was the same storm.
    I live on the otherside of the river from Middleton .
    My old lab would make a mad dash to swim and visit Middleton. I would have to drive 13 miles to go to the otherside and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Vermont was overrun. Know two people who drive to Boston post eclipse. Usually a four hour drive. Took them 16 hours. Got home 8 a m Coyotes went nuts
    A few days ago I came down with a severe case of eclipse fever, so I made a last minute decision to head to the totality area.

I was planning to go to NE Vermont as it was the shortest trip from our place in Boston. However, I was concerned that if this was the closest spot for me, it was probably also the closest for millions of others. So I called an audible at 9 AM and headed to northern Maine when I saw that traffic on I93N was already backed up. It was a long drive, but I only encountered one 10 minute back-up on the way home at a tiny town with a stop sign and a bunch of left turning cars.

Now that the important business of discussing traffic is out of the way, I should add that the eclipse was spectacular. It didn't get as dark as I expected, but the instant transition from daylight to mid dusk-like conditions was eerie/mystical/something-I-can't-really-describe.

I haven't seen any photos that capture the experience of both the sun's corona and the overall colors in the sky. I snapped a couple of quick photos which are awful at showing what the sun looked like. The best one (below) does an OK job of capturing the overall sky, especially the sunset-like colors along the horizon. It was pretty cool to see Venus and Mercury appear the moment the total eclipse started. You can see Venus in the photo.

Eclipse.jpg

Didn't witness any notable animal behavior other than a small flock of birds which flew by about 2 mins into the total eclipse. That being said, it was northern Maine in April, so I assume that most wildlife has the good sense to still be hibernating.

Amusing sign at the Deadhead run barbeque joint in the town where I ended up: "Come back soon. Eclipse every Monday at 3:30 PM"
    Last edited by House P; 04-09-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Great pic with the snow cover.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    In 2017 I was at Furman University in Greenville, SC in the path of totality. Since I worked there and lived one stoplight away there was no driving hassle. Most of the Furman crowd was at the football stadium for a scientific "presentation/explanation" in 95 degree heat. My small group sat under the trees by the Furman lake and watched the waterfowl settle down as it got dark and perk up 3 minutes later. The crescent shape of the leafy shadows on the ground as the eclipse progressed to and from totality was Cool Beans.
    Hey, I was there with my kids! It was super hot, but awesome to have the physics faculty talking us through what to look for as it progressed. Such a great experience, and left 3/4 of us determined to do whatever we could to see another one if possible, which luckily worked out this year. (The other one of us is apparently hard to impress.)

Nobody suggested Black Hole Sun? Where are all my fellow Gen Xers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    Hey, I was there with my kids! It was super hot, but awesome to have the physics faculty talking us through what to look for as it progressed. Such a great experience, and left 3/4 of us determined to do whatever we could to see another one if possible, which luckily worked out this year. (The other one of us is apparently hard to impress.)
    Lucky enough to see both 2017 and 2024 total eclipses. Watched the 2017 in my daughterís back yard in Nashville. Now that I live in Nashville I had to travel I24 to my old hometown, Paducah Ky to see this one. Based on traffic everyone in Nashville had the same idea. Three hours to drive 45 miles to the TN/KY border. After we got in Kentucky we took back roads and then had enough time to drive 25 miles north of Paducah to get an extra minute plus of totality. Crazily, people who live in Carbondale IL were in the maximum path of totality for 2017 and 2024. This year the weather once we got into Kentucky was fantastic. Nashville weather was so bad they didnít even get to see the 95% eclipse. Overall the difference between 95% and totality is analogous to winning $4 on powerball versus winning $100 million. Full totality is what makes the temperature drop 10 degrees, the animals and insects think it is night. The ring around the sun looks like itís encrusted in diamonds. I simply donít have the words to adequately describe it. To all who got to witness, congratulations.

I have never seen any photos that do the total eclipse justice. I wasnít expecting much in 2017 and was blown away. I think that was true for lots of folks in this area. So this time anyone who could was determined to get in the path of totality, thus the horrible traffic. To get back to Nashville we took only backroads and traveled the 140 miles in 3 hours and 15 minutes. My daughter was on the phone with friends who didnít realize she had grown up in Paducah and hadnít asked for directions. It took those folks about 5 plus hours to get home. The Apple mapping app didnít offer any alternative routes and miscalculated the time all day. I keep hearing about AI but donít find it being used in some obvious ways. Maybe Google maps was better?

At 74 years old I canít wait for 2044 for the next US eclipse so already checking out other locations around the world. It is truly the most spectacular event I have ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I almost did! Though I'm not a Gen Xer; just an older ("geriatric?") millennial.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    To show my true Gen X street cred, when you mentioned that song, I immediately thought of the Beavis and Butthead episode where they watch the video.