Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I am staying at a friend's house in rural northern New Hampshire about 10 miles south of totality. Most of my family is coming with me. We are driving up to New Hampshire on Sunday. We will head the 10 miles north early in the day on Monday. I plan to come back to Boston on Tuesday. I think we can probably manage heavy traffic for 10 miles. Hopefully, by waiting until Tuesday to go home, there won't be too much traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    This post about "lessons from the 2017 eclipse" [w/r/t traffic] on Bogleheads forum has sealed it for me:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...77393#p7477393
    Assuming you want to go north afterwards, I would find a spot just south of Toledo. A lot of the people will be trying to get closer to the center, so you will have most of them behind you as you leave.

the wild card in Vermont will be mud. We've already had one mud season, but the roads are still lousy and we're expecting 12-18 inches of snow this weekend. Tens of thousands of tourist vehicles on muddy roads would be a horror show.

There is so much chaos expected in central Texas on the day that Travis County (Austin) pre-announced a state of emergency about two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, the current long-range forecast for my eclipse viewing trip is for rain. Awesome. Of course, today's ltwo-week forecasts are about as accurate as 1970s forecasts were for tomorrow, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There is so much chaos expected in central Texas on the day that Travis County (Austin) pre-announced a state of emergency about two weeks ago.
    yeah, all our schools are shutting down, towns (we don't have cities) are creating gigantic parking areas, but still you can't prepare for human stupidity. Anyone with a pulse will be within the viewing area the night before it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

I'll be enjoying the chaos from my backyard.

b3a0cc7e-584e-455d-a152-7ece60c42177_1920x1080.jpg

I l live next to the area marked Helotes.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'll be enjoying the chaos from my backyard.

b3a0cc7e-584e-455d-a152-7ece60c42177_1920x1080.jpg

I l live next to the area marked Helotes.
    We’re in Cedar Park, but I have enough vision problems already, tyvm. I will limit my eclipse watching to tracking it via the app that monitors the output of our solar panels.

For folks who need it... here is a map of the total solar eclipse across the US

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Noah bergren has a map of air b&b rentals for the eclipse on X .traffic will be unimaginable at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Noah bergren has a map of air b&b rentals for the eclipse on X .traffic will be unimaginable at some point.
    Yea, this is my big concern. I live in New England and could drive to upstate New York, near the Canadian border, to be in the middle of the path of totality and the weather forecast, as of today, is for mostly clear skies in this location on Monday afternoon. Normally, it would be a 3 to 3.5 hour drive for me, but I'm sure the traffic will be horrendous (especially returning after the eclipse ends) and I don't want to get caught in a multi-hour traffic tie up. So, I'm torn as to what I should do. Would love to see the total eclipse but don't want to fight traffic and can't stay overnight.

Total eclipse is way cool and worth the inconvenience IMO. Really is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, this is my big concern. I live in New England and could drive to upstate New York, near the Canadian border, to be in the middle of the path of totality and the weather forecast, as of today, is for mostly clear skies in this location on Monday afternoon. Normally, it would be a 3 to 3.5 hour drive for me, but I'm sure the traffic will be horrendous (especially returning after the eclipse ends) and I don't want to get caught in a multi-hour traffic tie up. So, I'm torn as to what I should do. Would love to see the total eclipse but don't want to fight traffic and can't stay overnight.
    Had the same problem at Disney couldn't stay after at new years.8 hr drive turned into 13 hrs a wreck in Virginia
    On 95 had 95 jammed all the way to Florida. Ended up driving through every small town.

My spouse and I had full arrangements for Texas but cancelled them due to poor weather focasted. Current plan is to stay in Saratoga Springs and drive into totality early Monday morning, either to Lake Placid area or, preferably, Burlington. Weather looks great. Main concerns are finding a fantastic spot (we are leaning toward a state park on VT side of Lake Champlain) and traffic. Startegy for traffic is early start Monday morning and chill attitude thereafter. Any critique or suggestions for this plan? Our fourth total eclispe and got hooked.

My family was scheduled to go to Dayton, OH (at the Air Force Museum) but have canceled due to my mother-in-laws dementia. Have I told anyone how much I hate dementia? Weather is looking sketchy, maybe it would have been ok...but right now there is no way we can be 8 hours away from my mother-in-law.

We went in 2017 and it was AWESOME. Highly recommend that if you get a chance to go, go.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My family was scheduled to go to Dayton, OH (at the Air Force Museum) but have canceled due to my mother-in-laws dementia. Have I told anyone how much I hate dementia? Weather is looking sketchy, maybe it would have been ok...but right now there is no way we can be 8 hours away from my mother-in-law.

We went in 2017 and it was AWESOME. Highly recommend that if you get a chance to go, go.
    I am sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes as well as possible with your MIL. Sounds like a very difficult situation. At least the Wolfpack have been bringing you some joy.

I am not going near it. We are not particularly close to the prime area (NYC) but my kids schools are handing out glasses so they can watch. Forecast here is partly cloudy. My only advice to those going anywhere is try to get there early and/or stay late - I'm assuming traffic Monday night anywhere near there is horrible so stay until Tuesday if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes as well as possible with your MIL. Sounds like a very difficult situation. At least the Wolfpack have been bringing you some joy.

I am not going near it. We are not particularly close to the prime area (NYC) but my kids schools are handing out glasses so they can watch. Forecast here is partly cloudy. My only advice to those going anywhere is try to get there early and/or stay late - I'm assuming traffic Monday night anywhere near there is horrible so stay until Tuesday if you can.
    I've decided not to try to fight the traffic to get to upstate NY. Disappointing but from everything I have read, it COULD be a complete madhouse both heading north and coming back home. Yes, many people will be heading up either Saturday or Sunday and returning on Tuesday, but, from what I have read, all of the available hotel/motel rooms in the path of totality (or close by) are completely booked at this time (or are commanding exorbitant prices - like over $1,000 per night for a room that normally costs $120/night). My wife told me that all of the Amtrak trains from NYC heading north, to Albany and beyond, are already completely filled today (Friday)! I was on a Reddit thread about eclipse traffic yesterday and everyone was relating absolute horror stories about the last eclipse in 2017.

Marjorie Taylor Greene on the Eclipse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    While we are two states away from totality, we'll still have a good view, and thankfully good weather. We had made plans months ago to go to Tennessee on a camping trip and catch the whole shebang, but life got in the way and we cancelled our reservations a couple months ago. Silver lining, weather isn't looking so hot for where we were going to go. (Sucks for the folks there, however.)

Since we'll be able to still enjoy some of it, I ordered a solar filter for my 114mm scope and it came today. That should be pretty fun to watch through.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Chance that it is overcast and cloudy here tomorrow during the big event.

On another note, what is your Eclipse Playlist?

I'll start:

Staring at the Sun - U2
    Blinded by the Light - Springsteen/Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
    Eclipse - Pink Floyd