Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Personally, I no longer have any allegiance to the ACC. It just isnít what it used to be since they added Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, VaTech, Louisville, and BC. I also would be fine if UNC left and Duke no longer played them. But thatís just me.
    Copy that. Independent may be the way to go.

Feels like everyone here is just upset and saying things that donít make a ton of sense. Saying goodbye to UNC is shooting ourselves in the foot. We make each other more popular and stronger brands together, but no question we are more of the beneficiary of that relationship in sports

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Feels like everyone here is just upset and saying things that donít make a ton of sense. Saying goodbye to UNC is shooting ourselves in the foot. We make each other more popular and stronger brands together, but no question we are more of the beneficiary of that relationship in sports
    UL and UK have held it together...at least until UL started being terrible.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Me either, principally because I've yet to see any evidence that the B1G or the SEC are interested in Florida State or Clemson.

Perhaps the Big XII wants them, but even there, surely Clemson/FSU's bargaining position was stronger before the Big XII ate a third of the AAC and a third of the PAC.

Hot take: both schools are throwing tantrums because they're not actually as valuable as they think they are. The problem with "I'll leave for another conference if you don't do what I say" is that it requires a better conference to actually want you as member.
    Clemson fan was offended when I asked him if Tigers knew where theyíd go if ACC fell apart. He said their leadership would never do this if their destination wasnít assured. He also didnít like my Big 12 comment.

140 million to leave is a lot of dough. FSU and Clemson and cheats if anyone would take them that's just too much money I can't see any of them leaving til their contract ends.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    140 million to leave is a lot of dough. FSU and Clemson and cheats if anyone would take them that's just too much money I can't see any of them leaving til their contract ends.
    Clemson will leave as soon as players start getting cut of TV money. B10 schools like NW will be able to pay more than Clemson without having to supplement with NIL. Once that happens, Clemson will make its move. The exit fee will basically be seen as a sunk cost needed regardless (either pay the exit or pay the higher NIL money, youíre paying either way)

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I would love that. Question: do all our teams fly charter planes? Because I don't think there are direct flights from RDU to some of the midwestern cities. I've flown from EWR to KC, STL, Houston and Dallas, and they are manageable flights, but there aren't direct commercial flights from RDU.
    Ruby slippers?

Still hoping for Duke and their fellow ACC leftovers to join UConn in the non-Catholic/football division of the Big East. Notre Dame could join the Catholic/ non-football division and remain indy in football. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    unCheat might want to take a look at the trajectory of the South Carolina Gamecocks after they left the ACC. The wilderness can get lonely.
    USC spent the next 20 years as an independent in football and in the Metro for other sports. They had no real exit plan besides a supposed promise that Clemson was joining them in leaving. That put a major dent in their program success.

UNC would easily end up in either the B1G or the SEC and immediately start earning more revenue.

The two situations aren't comparable.

Me either, principally because I've yet to see any evidence that the B1G or the SEC are interested in Florida State or Clemson.

Perhaps the Big XII wants them, but even there, surely Clemson/FSU's bargaining position was stronger before the Big XII ate a third of the AAC and a third of the PAC.

Hot take: both schools are throwing tantrums because they're not actually as valuable as they think they are. The problem with "I'll leave for another conference if you don't do what I say" is that it requires a better conference to actually want you as member.
    FSU is in a much better position than Clemson. The B1G gets all the Florida markets if they join.

Clemson, I'm not so sure. It brings a smaller market that might not even be accretive to the per school payout amount. Yes they have history, but so does Miami and no one is after then.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    FSU is in a much better position than Clemson. The B1G gets all the Florida markets if they join.

Clemson, I'm not so sure. It brings a smaller market that might not even be accretive to the per school payout amount. Yes they have history, but so does Miami and no one is after then.
    Clemson is a big state school with rabid fans. Miami is a private school thatís heyday is long past them. They arenít comparable. Itís like saying BC brings the Boston and New England sports markets. And we know how that played out

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, you certainly canít have the Duke-UNC rivalry without UNC.
    That won't stop .USCarolina and Clemsons rivalry continues in different conferences. Fans will demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Still hoping for Duke and their fellow ACC leftovers to join UConn in the non-Catholic/football division of the Big East. Notre Dame could join the Catholic/ non-football division and remain indy in football. Problem solved.
    *IF* the premise were true that the high-value schools split, I don't think it all that far fetched. At some point, Duke would have to consolidate around their largest intrinsic asset.
    April 1

Clemson is a big state school with rabid fans. Miami is a private school thatís heyday is long past them. They arenít comparable. Itís like saying BC brings the Boston and New England sports markets. And we know how that played out
    The Miami metro area has more people than the entire state of SC. I'm sure Miami would bring that market in any realignment. That's what drives this process--how many eyeballs do you get when you pick up a team.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    The Miami metro area has more people than the entire state of SC. I'm sure Miami would bring that market in any realignment. That's what drives this process--how many eyeballs do you get when you pick up a team.
    The people of Miami donít care about Miami football. Look at the stadium on Saturdays vs Death Valley. They literally couldnít fill Hard Rock if they gave away tickets. Pitt draws almost the exact same for Heinz (or whatever they call it today). Miami football is a shell of its former self and worth a whole heck of a lot less than Clemson

The people of Miami donít care about Miami football. Look at the stadium on Saturdays vs Death Valley. They literally couldnít fill Hard Rock if they gave away tickets. Pitt draws almost the exact same for Heinz (or whatever they call it today). Miami football is a shell of its former self and worth a whole heck of a lot less than Clemson
    And also, Florida has already delivered an entire state of TV markets to the SEC. Maybe the B1G needs a new outpost, but if the SEC actually wanted anyone we've got, they would have already taken them.

There's an argument to be made that, mediocre now and then football notwithstanding, North Carolina is the most attractive ACC property to the SEC.

And also, Florida has already delivered an entire state of TV markets to the SEC. Maybe the B1G needs a new outpost, but if the SEC actually wanted anyone we've got, they would have already taken them.

There's an argument to be made that, mediocre now and then football notwithstanding, North Carolina is the most attractive ACC property to the SEC.
    100%. Most attractive assets to the SEC and B10 in order are: (1) UNC, (2) UVA, (3) FSU, (4) ClemsonÖ wide gap, checks notesÖ (5) Miami Ö wide gap again, checks notes againÖ (6-7) NCSU or VT but only to the SEC if they canít get UNC or NCSU, (8-9) probably us or GT but only to the B10.

Louisville is valuable, but only to the B12 (no way either of the SEC or B10 take it, footprint is small and already taken). This is the clear natural exit for them and will be shocked if it doesnít happen if conference collapses.

Dead schools (and it kills me to say the first one) are Wake, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt. All would be lucky to get a B12 invite when itís said and done, and probably will live in the zombie ACC for a while, likely with us, if this thing collapses.

Our best hope is if it does collapse, itís only #1-4 departing and not 1-7 + Louisville to B12

100%. Most attractive assets to the SEC and B10 in order are: (1) UNC, (2) UVA, (3) FSU, (4) ClemsonÖ wide gap, checks notesÖ (5) Miami Ö wide gap again, checks notes againÖ (6-7) NCSU or VT but only to the SEC if they canít get UNC or NCSU, (8-9) probably us or GT but only to the B10.

Louisville is valuable, but only to the B12 (no way either of the SEC or B10 take it, footprint is small and already taken). This is the clear natural exit for them and will be shocked if it doesnít happen if conference collapses.

Dead schools (and it kills me to say the first one) are Wake, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt. All would be lucky to get a B12 invite when itís said and done, and probably will live in the zombie ACC for a while, likely with us, if this thing collapses.

Our best hope is if it does collapse, itís only #1-4 departing and not 1-7 + Louisville to B12
    If we lose 1-4, we almost certainly lose 5-7, because our profit shares will fall into the gutter without 1-4.

This is why it is an existential crisis for the ACC. If teams leave, what remains won't be recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    as long as you don't mind saying goodbye to a lot of our non revenue sports. UCONN doesn't have a home now (thank you, BC!) and there's nothing about them we need to join.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The day after tomorrow, the ACCís motion to dismiss is granted. Thereís no cause of action here.
    FSU and Clemson aren't going anywhere until 2030(?) when they can afford to leave. The timing of this is an overreaction to the playoff announcement, and the college athletics landscape will look very different. You don't know if it will be a football-only split, in which case there are about 8-12 schools in the existing Big 10 and SEC that are toast, or all-sport split where Duke would fare better.

Duke's job in the next 3-5 years is to keep winning in football. The Leonard injury really cost Duke a golden opportunity. Duke, like UNC, UVA, etc., is attractive to Saturday night primetime when it has a good opponent. Otherwise, it ends up on ACCN or CW--just like UNC v. UVA, Miami v. GT, etc.