Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Personally, I no longer have any allegiance to the ACC. It just isn’t what it used to be since they added Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, VaTech, Louisville, and BC. I also would be fine if UNC left and Duke no longer played them. But that’s just me.
    Couldn’t agree more

NEw CFP -ESPN Deal

Quote Originally Posted by evrim View Post
    There is/was a huge Oregon/Oregon State rivalry in Oregon. But Oregon jumped conferences with no warning and left OSU to scramble to find a conference. They didn't care about the rivalry. I would hate to be in their shoes. Granted Duke has a much bigger name recognition - but OSU is also a very big school. Seeing how UNCheat is when it comes to (not) being decent folks, I think they would sell the conference out, let alone Duke, in a second. And sticking it to Duke would be fun for them. Never mind losing the most intense rivalry is bad for them in short to long term. But they do not operate that way.

And the last few years since Coach K, I see a lot of disrespect from the conference be it honors, refereeing, fan and player behavior against Duke that doesn't get punished and blatant favoritism of UNC's fouling style. So maybe this is a good time to just dissolve and move on. Or at the minimum have a good escape plan. I hate football, not only because I do not like the actual sport, but it is a money hungry game that schools seem to care the most about at the expense of any other sport, and perpetuates many of the things I do not like about the society. So it would suck that amazing basketball heavy conference like ours will be chopped up because of that "sport". I can't watch that boring, machismo violent stuff. Just my 2c. But it hurts even more when football is causing a conference that was great to be disbanded, maybe not now, but come the newTV contract.

Duke needs to get in front of this and escape this sinking ship. The writing is on the wall. I do not like it, but you don't want to be the last one remaining.

It will be the end of the Duke/UNC matchups. They do not seem to want us, nor respect us, so they should go and play with Maryland or whatever. I think their brand will take a big hit. Not sure about ours.
    unCheat might want to take a look at the trajectory of the South Carolina Gamecocks after they left the ACC. The wilderness can get lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It is called getting older.
    Maybe, but I think it should rightfully be called “College basketball sucks now with the ludicrous transfer rules, conference realignment, OAD, and NIL.”

Too wordy?

I've been good with the Big 12 from the beginning. Some decent academic schools, great basketball and good football. I don't know about the non-revenue sports though.

I realize the logistics would be challenging but I would assume a couple of ACC schools would come with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I've been good with the Big 12 from the beginning. Some decent academic schools, great basketball and good football. I don't know about the non-revenue sports though.

I realize the logistics would be challenging but I would assume a couple of ACC schools would come with us.
    Can't say I share your enthusiasm. A fairly motley crew...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Maybe, but I think it should rightfully be called “College basketball sucks now with the ludicrous transfer rules, conference realignment, OAD, and NIL.”

Too wordy?
    My comment goes towards perceptive and relative importance of things like the Tournament in the larger scheme of life. IMO, and for me, such events slip down the priority list as the years so rapidly slip by

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure why people assume the league is doomed every time FSU or Clemson squawks.
    Me either, principally because I've yet to see any evidence that the B1G or the SEC are interested in Florida State or Clemson.

Perhaps the Big XII wants them, but even there, surely Clemson/FSU's bargaining position was stronger before the Big XII ate a third of the AAC and a third of the PAC.

Hot take: both schools are throwing tantrums because they're not actually as valuable as they think they are. The problem with "I'll leave for another conference if you don't do what I say" is that it requires a better conference to actually want you as member.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure why people assume the league is doomed every time FSU or Clemson squawks. League members are getting more money than they ever have. Going forward they will make more money than Big12 schools. It's pure and simply jealousy at what the Big 10 and SEC are getting.

As for that, there is zero chance that Duke ever seeks admittance to the SEC...but I could definitely see a scenario in which Duke finds a spot in the Big 10. I am fully convinced that Nina has been cogitating hard on this issue.
    Keep in mind that Duke could definitely offer to join the B1G at a reduced rate, which could definitely be a selling point. (worked for SMU).

Bottom line: EVERY ACC school has been in to look at the original document (GOR) in ACC headquarters and if there were a genuine way out, it would have been explored by now. Do remember that the erudite FSU board ordered FSU attorneys to challenge the GOR, not because they had a case, but because it made them look like they are doing something.
    As far as the B1G, I feel like Duke has exactly one chance, which is in North Carolina's passenger seat. And Virginia will probably be tying to call shotgun as well.

The attractive piece of this is that Kansas can be our new North Carolina when the Heels end up in the SEC and we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    My comment goes towards perceptive and relative importance of things like the Tournament in the larger scheme of life. IMO, and for me, such events slip down the priority list as the years so rapidly slip by
    I don’t think it has very much to do with growing older; young people aren’t into it anymore, either. 🤷

NC State wins the ACC and triggers the end of the world.

*sigh*

That's some real NC State *#%! right there.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    As far as the B1G, I feel like Duke has exactly one chance, which is in North Carolina's passenger seat. And Virginia will probably be tying to call shotgun as well.
    As a Duke fan, I find this highly offensive. Duke is more than capable as an institution and an athletic program to not need the coattails of UNC for anything.

As a Duke fan, I find this highly offensive. Duke is more than capable as an institution and an athletic program to not need the coattails of UNC for anything.
    except football viewership/fanbase...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The attractive piece of this is that Kansas can be our new North Carolina when the Heels end up in the SEC and we don't.
    I would love that. Question: do all our teams fly charter planes? Because I don't think there are direct flights from RDU to some of the midwestern cities. I've flown from EWR to KC, STL, Houston and Dallas, and they are manageable flights, but there aren't direct commercial flights from RDU.

You can be offended by the sad facts of football-based realignment, but that's not going to change them.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I would love that. Question: do all our teams fly charter planes? Because I don't think there are direct flights from RDU to some of the midwestern cities. I've flown from EWR to KC, STL, Houston and Dallas, and they are manageable flights, but there aren't direct commercial flights from RDU.
    My perhaps dated understanding is that Duke's longest surface road trips are Charlottesville, Blacksburg, and Clemson. This radius may have closed as far as Winston-Salem, idk, y'all tell me.

As far as KU, I have to think that's a charter flight. Lawrence is on the wrong side of Kansas City to get to MCI in a timely fashion, because MCI is like 15-20 miles north of town. Lawrence isn't as remote as Manhattan KS, but it's not an Uber ride from a commercial airport either.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

It depends on a bunch of things. The lax team chartered to ND a couple years ago on Delta but flew to Jacksonville on American through CLT.

Direct flights from RDU, unlike the United hub in NJ, change frequently as airlines try a route and drop it due to unpopularity. Most Big 10/12 cities are fly-bus combos unless you charter.

Well, you certainly can’t have the Duke-UNC rivalry without UNC.

I also would be fine if UNC left and Duke no longer played them. But that’s just me.
    That would make me sad, personally. It's one of the oldest and richest rivalries, not just in basketball, not even just in college, but in all of American sports. It would be tragic if it were lost to short-sighted greed, IMO. I realize they cheated, and I get how that destroyed the rivalry for some, but it didn't for most and it seems a shame to just toss that much history into the trash heap to grab cash. It wouldn't be the first time that happened, but it would be a bummer, IMO.

I will add, though, that if the Holes dump the ACC, I have no desire for Duke to keep the rivalry going. If they flee and leave us to our own devices, let 'em rot in Hell where they belong.