Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It is called getting older.
    no - getting older is when you say “huh - the ACC tournament started last night” and someone around you replies “dude it’s July - are you having a stroke?”

On the face of it, Clemson’s complaint seems thinner than FSU’s, but it’s another domino falling over. Georgia Tech and UNC now on the clock.

You want 5 to 10 years; I'd like to know about the day after tomorrow. 😎
    The day after tomorrow, the ACC’s motion to dismiss is granted. There’s no cause of action here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    no - getting older is when you say “huh - the ACC tournament started last night” and someone around you replies “dude it’s July - are you having a stroke?”

On the face of it, Clemson’s complaint seems thinner than FSU’s, but it’s another domino falling over. Georgia Tech and UNC now on the clock.
    Is Georgia Tech knowingly unhappy? What exactly do they aspire to? I understand FSU, Miami, UNC... GaTech makes no sense.

So when virtually one half of the "client group", i.e., the ACC member schools, are in favor of leaving the conference, who sits in on settlement negotiations or litigation strategy? I have no idea how that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is Georgia Tech knowingly unhappy? What exactly do they aspire to? I understand FSU, Miami, UNC... GaTech makes no sense.
    They were part of the “Gang of Seven”. Big state school, big media market. UGA might be able to block them from the SEC, but if the B1G were to seek to expand into the area..

They were part of the “Gang of Seven”. Big state school, big media market. UGA might be able to block them from the SEC, but if the B1G were to seek to expand into the area..
    I didn't remember they were part of that group. Thanks.

I thought the "gang of seven" were FSU, Clemson, Miami (not a state school, but still a huge franchise), UNC, NC State, UVa, and VT. Not GT.

Everything I've read says GT was not part of that group:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/co...hts-deals.html
    https://247sports.com/college/north-...ech-210290091/
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...a/70554279007/

I stand corrected.

You want 5 to 10 years; I'd like to know about the day after tomorrow. ��
    Just don’t stop buying green bananas. You gotta keep some optimism!
    Carolina delenda est

I'm not sure why people assume the league is doomed every time FSU or Clemson squawks. League members are getting more money than they ever have. Going forward they will make more money than Big12 schools. It's pure and simply jealousy at what the Big 10 and SEC are getting.

As for that, there is zero chance that Duke ever seeks admittance to the SEC...but I could definitely see a scenario in which Duke finds a spot in the Big 10. I am fully convinced that Nina has been cogitating hard on this issue.
    Keep in mind that Duke could definitely offer to join the B1G at a reduced rate, which could definitely be a selling point. (worked for SMU).

Bottom line: EVERY ACC school has been in to look at the original document (GOR) in ACC headquarters and if there were a genuine way out, it would have been explored by now. Do remember that the erudite FSU board ordered FSU attorneys to challenge the GOR, not because they had a case, but because it made them look like they are doing something.

I think likely spot is watered down ACC, then B12, then Big East, then B10. No way we get an SEC invite.

Also UNC getting us into B10 is less likely than ND getting Stanford into B10. UNC doesn’t have that much pull

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    I think likely spot is watered down ACC, then B12, then Big East, then B10. No way we get an SEC invite.

Also UNC getting us into B10 is less likely than ND getting Stanford into B10. UNC doesn’t have that much pull
    100% agree. If ND decided to tell the B10 we will only come if you let Stanford in (or even Navy for that matter), I think the B10 takes that deal. ND is the only school still out there that still has enough negotiating power to possibly pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure why people assume the league is doomed every time FSU or Clemson squawks. League members are getting more money than they ever have. Going forward they will make more money than Big12 schools. It's pure and simply jealousy at what the Big 10 and SEC are getting.
    Greed and jealousy are massive motivators. The reason I personally assume that the ACC is on borrowed time (I have a pending pie bet with the esteemed Jason Evans regarding the status of FSU on opening day of the next football season) is that if the ACC GOR hull cracks, half the teams are poised to hit the road as soon as possible.

The "left behind" will be sitting ducks like the Pac## schools were, having to make decisions on whether to be picked apart or to band together.

I hope that Duke has contingency plans in place. If not, it would be wildly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by bbq-devil View Post
    100% agree. If ND decided to tell the B10 we will only come if you let Stanford in (or even Navy for that matter), I think the B10 takes that deal. ND is the only school still out there that still has enough negotiating power to possibly pull this off.
    Maybe Riley Leonard can lobby ND to bring Duke into the B10. After all, he did say that Duke was an "everything school".

Nina seems pretty confident the hull will hold, but I have no doubt she is considering all options...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This has been discussed at length on this board in other threads. I suspect the ceiling would be Duke landing in either the SEC or Big Ten - but I'm not sure that our football is appealing enough to either conference. Outside of that, the Big East would be a consolation prize, but would also acknowledge that our football is an afterthought.

Some folks seem to think Duke/UNC could be a package deal for the right conference, but I don't think there's any real substance there, other than wishful thinking.

Long story short - Duke's best hope to maintain overall sports relevance is the continued existence of the ACC.
    There is/was a huge Oregon/Oregon State rivalry in Oregon. But Oregon jumped conferences with no warning and left OSU to scramble to find a conference. They didn't care about the rivalry. I would hate to be in their shoes. Granted Duke has a much bigger name recognition - but OSU is also a very big school. Seeing how UNCheat is when it comes to (not) being decent folks, I think they would sell the conference out, let alone Duke, in a second. And sticking it to Duke would be fun for them. Never mind losing the most intense rivalry is bad for them in short to long term. But they do not operate that way.

And the last few years since Coach K, I see a lot of disrespect from the conference be it honors, refereeing, fan and player behavior against Duke that doesn't get punished and blatant favoritism of UNC's fouling style. So maybe this is a good time to just dissolve and move on. Or at the minimum have a good escape plan. I hate football, not only because I do not like the actual sport, but it is a money hungry game that schools seem to care the most about at the expense of any other sport, and perpetuates many of the things I do not like about the society. So it would suck that amazing basketball heavy conference like ours will be chopped up because of that "sport". I can't watch that boring, machismo violent stuff. Just my 2c. But it hurts even more when football is causing a conference that was great to be disbanded, maybe not now, but come the newTV contract.

Duke needs to get in front of this and escape this sinking ship. The writing is on the wall. I do not like it, but you don't want to be the last one remaining.

It will be the end of the Duke/UNC matchups. They do not seem to want us, nor respect us, so they should go and play with Maryland or whatever. I think their brand will take a big hit. Not sure about ours.
    Last edited by evrim; 03-19-2024 at 03:10 PM.

Personally, I no longer have any allegiance to the ACC. It just isn’t what it used to be since they added Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, VaTech, Louisville, and BC. I also would be fine if UNC left and Duke no longer played them. But that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Personally, I no longer have any allegiance to the ACC. It just isn’t what it used to be since they added Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, VaTech, Louisville, and BC. I also would be fine if UNC left and Duke no longer played them. But that’s just me.
    I care about it primarily as a means of funding our excellent non revenue sports, and Nina knows the importance of this. I agree about unc, I don't care where they go..

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    It's not just you.

Quote Originally Posted by bbq-devil View Post
    Maybe Riley Leonard can lobby ND to bring Duke into the B10. After all, he did say that Duke was an "everything school".