Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 173
  1. #1

    Clemson Sues ACC

    Pete Thamel says Clemson has filed suit in SC. It sounds like the same whining as the lawsuit from FSU.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Raleigh
    Thatís a shame. Iíll genuinely miss Clemson.
    It seems things will get bumpy.

    Hope AD King and the powers that be are working to find a landing spot should the worst happen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Ha. They donít agree Acc owns their media rights even though Clemson freely signed them away.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    surprise they didn't let FSU get a bit further guinnea pigging here before jumping into the ring.
    April 1

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Thatís a shame. Iíll genuinely miss Clemson.
    It seems things will get bumpy.

    Hope AD King and the powers that be are working to find a landing spot should the worst happen.
    The ACC won't miss Clemson. There won't be an ACC.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The ACC won't miss Clemson. There won't be an ACC.
    Oh, come now, the Cal/SMU rivalry will save the league.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    No one is going anywhere any time soon

  8. #8
    Genuine question. What does everyone think this looks like in 5-10 years and where does Duke land? I've mostly been ignoring all this conference realignment craziness but a Clemson departure would pierce by little ACC basketball fan bubble.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Oh, come now, the Cal/SMU rivalry will save the league.
    If FSU and Clemson both successful breach the hull, UNC and Miami will be right behind.

    Now, the ACC could do a full reset, market themselves as a baskets conference, try and pull in some quality competition...

    But the conference that we all grew up with, the conference that used to motivate teachers to roll in the AV Cart on Friday at noon, the conference that not long ago cornered the market on the best basketball coaches in the country... it would be long gone.

    With NIL, transfer rules, and the rapidly expanding football playoff - it is not a good moment in time to find ourselves outside looking in, in terms of competitive college football.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Genuine question. What does everyone think this looks like in 5-10 years and where does Duke land? I've mostly been ignoring all this conference realignment craziness but a Clemson departure would pierce by little ACC basketball fan bubble.
    This has been discussed at length on this board in other threads. I suspect the ceiling would be Duke landing in either the SEC or Big Ten - but I'm not sure that our football is appealing enough to either conference. Outside of that, the Big East would be a consolation prize, but would also acknowledge that our football is an afterthought.

    Some folks seem to think Duke/UNC could be a package deal for the right conference, but I don't think there's any real substance there, other than wishful thinking.

    Long story short - Duke's best hope to maintain overall sports relevance is the continued existence of the ACC.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Genuine question. What does everyone think this looks like in 5-10 years and where does Duke land? I've mostly been ignoring all this conference realignment craziness but a Clemson departure would pierce by little ACC basketball fan bubble.
    You want 5 to 10 years; I'd like to know about the day after tomorrow. 😎

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Genuine question. What does everyone think this looks like in 5-10 years and where does Duke land? I've mostly been ignoring all this conference realignment craziness but a Clemson departure would pierce by little ACC basketball fan bubble.
    You really can't guess. Did anyone ever think the Pac-12 would die? There might not even be college sports or football in 10 years. Duke might end up with Clemson and FSU again if there is a power 2. I can't see all these cross-country conferences lasting past 2030.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    You really can't guess. Did anyone ever think the Pac-12 would die? There might not even be college sports or football in 10 years. Duke might end up with Clemson and FSU again if there is a power 2. I can't see all these cross-country conferences lasting past 2030.
    given that there is apparently no way to have any rules anymore without someone suing the NCAA, it seems we're speedrunning this outcome.
    April 1

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    OK. Clemson and FSU will get a better ACC deal. And it will take some time to get there.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    OK. Clemson and FSU will get a better ACC deal. And it will take some time to get there.
    I know this precedent has been set with the new teams, but I also hate this policy of different schools get different cuts.

    We're negotiating from a desperate spot.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    With NIL, transfer rules, and the rapidly expanding football playoff - it is not a good moment in time to find ourselves outside looking in, in terms of competitive college football.
    That's my thinking/concern as well.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But the conference that we all grew up with, the conference that used to motivate teachers to roll in the AV Cart on Friday at noon, the conference that not long ago cornered the market on the best basketball coaches in the country... it would be long gone.
    Iíd argue that itís already long gone. I donít feel any shared experience with Pitt fans or even Miami fans for that matter.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Iíd argue that itís already long gone. I donít feel any shared experience with Pitt fans or even Miami fans for that matter.
    I can't remember ever before this season being like "oh, huh, I think the ACC Tournament started last night."

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I can't remember ever before this season being like "oh, huh, I think the ACC Tournament started last night."
    It is called getting older.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Genuine question. What does everyone think this looks like in 5-10 years and where does Duke land? I've mostly been ignoring all this conference realignment craziness but a Clemson departure would pierce by little ACC basketball fan bubble.
    I would say Big12. I don't realistically think we will make it into the SEC or Big10. I think football interest will extend beyond just two conferences, which leads to a second tier of football conference(s) continuing to exist. The Big12 has been fairly clear that they want to become the premier basketball league, so we would be attractive to them. I think Duke will want to continue to have a significant football program, which would lean us away from the Big East.

Similar Threads

  1. Willingham sues UNC
    By diablesseblu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM
  2. Reeves Nelson sues Time (SI)
    By El_Diablo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
  3. Lindsay (last name unnecessary) sues E-Trade
    By Channing in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM
  4. Apple Sues HTC
    By alteran in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM
  5. Giuliani's son sues Duke
    By efudd in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •