Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Did anyone hear anybody on TV mention Duke in a positive way that it started all home grown players? Seems like we should be commended for it, just as Duke was criticized for allegedly "renting" players for a season we we relied on one and dones.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    Did anyone hear anybody on TV mention Duke in a positive way that it started all home grown players? Seems like we should be commended for it, just as Duke was criticized for allegedly "renting" players for a season we we relied on one and dones.
    Haven't heard it yet but they'll pick up on it if Jon continues to be successful with it. It's not always a bad thing to against the grain... We've got a lot of innate advantages that allow us to do this that other schools don't have. How many other schools could even attempt to convince top 15-30 recruits to come in and wait their turn? Very few.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I stopped losing sleep over how Duke mens' basketball is covered in the press a long time ago.

Given this information, I expect we will at some point read an article about how Duke didn't use the transfer market effectively enough, and how it reflects poorly on Scheyer, Duke basketball, and probably (somehow) Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    I stopped losing sleep over how Duke mens' basketball is covered in the press a long time ago.

Given this information, I expect we will at some point read an article about how Duke didn't use the transfer market effectively enough, and how it reflects poorly on Scheyer, Duke basketball, and probably (somehow) Coach K.
    Why stop at Coack K. I think Vic Bubas' poor use of freshmen has contributed to Duke's demise

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Why stop at Coack K. I think Vic Bubas' poor use of freshmen has contributed to Duke's demise
    Yeah, he would not let them play. 🤣

Jaden Schutt will now enter the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It continues.

On3: Kentucky's Zvonimir Ivišić enters the NCAA Transfer Portal

There are now 4 Kentucky players in the portal: Ivišić, Bradshaw, freshman Joey Hart, and sophomore Adou Thiero.
    Ivisic to Arkansas. . .

Couple interesting names in the portal now...

6'10'' Alabama forward Sam Walters who knocked down almost 40% of his 3s on about 100 attempts last season.

Texas forward Dillon Mitchell and PG Tyrese Hunter. Mitchell averaged close to 10ppg/7rpg while Hunter was getting about 11ppg/4apg.

Add Koby Brea to the interesting names that have entered the portal.

A 6'6'' guard from Dayton. Most interesting is that he knocked down almost 50% of his 3pt attempts (over 200 attempts) last season.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Add Koby Brea to the interesting names that have entered the portal.

A 6'6'' guard from Dayton. Most interesting is that he knocked down almost 50% of his 3pt attempts (over 200 attempts) last season.
    Brea is going to get a million offers. Everyone wants shooting. He will go somewhere that will give him a starting job (and massive NIL)... something Duke likely cannot offer. I doubt we even kick the tires here (though I really wish we would).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Brea is going to get a million offers. Everyone wants shooting. He will go somewhere that will give him a starting job (and massive NIL)... something Duke likely cannot offer. I doubt we even kick the tires here (though I really wish we would).
    Oh yea, I dont expect we even kick the tires here. I cant see Brea agreeing to play behind Proctor/Foster/Harris.

Interesting Enough Brea lists Duke as a school whose been in contact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have a couple questions about NIL.

Are there really massive differences in NIL money across the top schools? The apocryphal stuff I have read is that high major starters are getting 2-400K (I don't know the details) I know it's a lot for a college player, but I haven't seen stuff like team B is paying $1Million or anything like that. I am probably wrong.

Second. We are still mostly talking about NIL through boosters and collectives. What about endorsements? That seems to be a place where Duke should have a material edge. I mean, the platform these Duke players have, and with the Duke social media support, has to be a competitive advantage. We all saw the players in the ads running during the tourney. I assume they are now getting paid on those. Those pay days could/should dwarf what an NIL collective could pay, no? I mean it is Name Image and Likeness, not Open Boosterism.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I have a couple questions about NIL.

Are there really massive differences in NIL money across the top schools? The apocryphal stuff I have read is that high major starters are getting 2-400K (I don't know the details) I know it's a lot for a college player, but I haven't seen stuff like team B is paying $1Million or anything like that. I am probably wrong.

Second. We are still mostly talking about NIL through boosters and collectives. What about endorsements? That seems to be a place where Duke should have a material edge. I mean, the platform these Duke players have, and with the Duke social media support, has to be a competitive advantage. We all saw the players in the ads running during the tourney. I assume they are now getting paid on those. Those pay days could/should dwarf what an NIL collective could pay, no? I mean it is Name Image and Likeness, not Open Boosterism.
    Yes, there are differences in the ways top programs deploy their NIL dollars and differences in how much they deploy. There is a reason part of the "bid" to get Calipari included a sizeable NIL commitment, even more than what ARrkansas had previously been giving out. Different schools have different amounts they are willing to pay with some schools trying to spread payments among multiple players and some schools really concentrating on big money for one player. Some schools spend mostly on transfers others on retaining existing players and others on landing top tier recruits.

Though it is not talked about openly, Duke has a very robust -- I would bet among the top 5 in the sport -- NIL program that is largely centered on just a few well-heeled donors.

As for your second question, the NIL dollars from endorsements and the such are much harder to project and, therefore, promise compared to the direct payments from collectives. Sure, it is part of the attraction and a good way to supplement that pay-for-play check but my understanding is that most kids who are seeking the best NIL situation they can find are primarily considering the collective, not the commercial.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ex-FAU center Vlad Goldin is following Dusty May to Michigan. Big guy averaged 15.7 ppg and 7 boards. It's a great start for Coach May in his effort to completely rebuild the Michigan roster.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Ex-FAU center Vlad Goldin is following Dusty May to Michigan. Big guy averaged 15.7 ppg and 7 boards. It's a great start for Coach May in his effort to completely rebuild the Michigan roster.
    Now that that is official, it'll be interesting to see whether Michigan can also get Yale's Danny Wolf. Michigan had been favored for both Goldin and Wolf for a while now, but UNC is also targeting Wolf especially as some of their other transfer targets have gone elsewhere. Can May sell Wolf on being in a split with Goldin this year before being "the guy" next year (Goldin only has one year of eligibility left), or will UNC swoop in and find their big?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Now that that is official, it'll be interesting to see whether Michigan can also get Yale's Danny Wolf. Michigan had been favored for both Goldin and Wolf for a while now, but UNC is also targeting Wolf especially as some of their other transfer targets have gone elsewhere. Can May sell Wolf on being in a split with Goldin this year before being "the guy" next year (Goldin only has one year of eligibility left), or will UNC swoop in and find their big?
    Transferring from Yale to UNC is academically one of the greatest examples of penthouse to the outhouse that one can suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Transferring from Yale to UNC is academically one of the greatest examples of penthouse to the outhouse that one can suggest.
    Must spread comments...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    There's a lot of hand wringing over on the IC board. They wanted the Stanford center. He recommitted to Stanford. Then they wanted Bradshaw from KY. He just committed to OSU.

Now they seem to be all in on Ballo from AZ. But there's a crystal ball pick for Indiana.
    Inside the Hall: Arizona transfer Oumar Ballo commits to Indiana

He chose the Hoosiers over interest from Arkansas, Louisville, Kansas State, North Carolina, Florida and others. In the latest 247Sports transfer portal rankings, Ballo is considered the No. 1 prospect in the portal.

Ballo averaged 12.9 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.3 blocked shots in 25.9 minutes per game last season for the Wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Not sure why Wolf would do that instead of going somewhere we he can start right now.