Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsu View Post
    Got wife a set of bose ones work great for her.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I dropped a lot of weight and that helped.
    But it was all the other little things you do that caused us to finally separate.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Get a sleep study asap. Itís dangerous to you, not just annoying to others.

Iím comfortable with a BiPap machine, not everybody is. But they can test things for you.
    I'll second this view. I had snored and slept badly for a few years before getting a sleep study and being diagnosed with apnea in my early 50s. I've been using a CPAP machine for the past ten years and, although I hate it, it's much better than the alternative. I am not certain I would be alive today without it. It definitely took some getting used to and, to this day, I still struggle to find masks that fit my nose/mouth area, but in the long-run I am very glad that I went through the month or so of getting accustomed to it.

Breathe Right strips are a good adjunct to a CPAP machine, but they can only help at the margins in my experience.

Losing weight can help a bit, but it will also often make a minor difference.

There is a lot of R&D going into apnea these days, and there are some new options not related to CPAP - such as mouth devices that pull the jaw forward and implants that electrically stimulate (and tighten) the soft palate - and some of these may become the standard of care.

I live in the DC area and, for better or worse, there are always doctors specializing in the new things, and sleep studies are one of them around here. I've got a guy in NoVA that I like a lot (even though I live in Montgomery County). More rural areas may have fewer options. The good thing, however, is that I only see my sleep doc every year or so, and so the minor travel to his office is not a big problem.

Mrs WillJ still lets me sleep in our bed...which I like.

A wedge pillow recommended for GERD patients may also help.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I use the breathe rite strips but they fall off easily.

A lot of responses about apnea and CPAP machines. Just because one snores doesnít mean they have a life threatening condition like sleep apnea though does it ??

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Thanks for all these suggestions. I use the breathe rite strips but they fall off easily.

A lot of responses about apnea and CPAP machines. Just because one snores doesnít mean they have a life threatening condition like sleep apnea though does it ??
    Better to be safe to have it checked and ruled out than to ignore it and suffer bad consequences because of the inaction. For example, Reggie White.

I use dental device that was prescribed by a sleep dentist (yes there is such a thing). It moves my lower jaw forward. I also use intake breathing. They are MUCH better than breathe tight nasal strips. Lastly, I recently started taping my mouth shut at night (Google it. Lots of doctors recommend it, even my sleep dentist). Sleep better and donít snore.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Better to be safe to have it checked and ruled out than to ignore it and suffer bad consequences because of the inaction. For example, Reggie White.
    Agreed. There is a decent chance it is not sleep apnea but better safe than sorry. The test isnít fun but it is not that bad - I havenít done one in a while but they could really improve the technology for a test that is done quite often.

I tried the tape over the mouth and it didnít work for me but I am a mouth breather. I have heard good things so that is also a good suggestion. I think you can pick up a pack very cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed. There is a decent chance it is not sleep apnea but better safe than sorry. The test isnít fun but it is not that bad - I havenít done one in a while but they could really improve the technology for a test that is done quite often.

I tried the tape over the mouth and it didnít work for me but I am a mouth breather. I have heard good things so that is also a good suggestion. I think you can pick up a pack very cheaply.
    I use the 3M non-allergenic micropore tape to tape my mouth. Itís a lot less than some of the branded mouth tapes. I also use Intake nasal strip https://www.intakebreathing.com/?gad...IaAjXgEALw_wcB

I prefer it to Breathe Right. The Breathe Right fall off and donít open the nose near as much as Intake.

I'm likely oversimplifying, but my understanding is that apnea is basically the next step up from snoring in that they are both driven by the same physiology. Basically, our (or at least my) sinuses get a little wonky as we age (that's a technical term) which means that our lungs need to pull harder and create a larger pressure differential between the room and the back of our throat. That's fine as long as your soft palate is stiff, but for many of us it isn't, and so the "negative pressure" makes the soft palate flap open and closed. A little of that is snoring. A lot is apnea.

The treatments generally work by either tightening up the soft palate (the electrical implants), trying to open up airspace (the jaw devices), or by blowing air directly into the nose to keep pressure up (the CPAP).

It's probably not going to kill you, but apnea can really screw up your sleep. I strongly recommend seeing a sleep doc.

Jaw sling for the snorer, ear plugs for the snoree? (Partially in jest)

I am a snorer. Wife is Ö I donít know what you would call it Ö she makes squeaky, chirpy sounds that make it feel like Iím sleeping in a forest at daybreak. She also has restless leg syndrome.

Iím 75, recovering from prostate cancer (in remission now), so spare bedroom for me. We both sleep better. And as she says, the spare bedroom is the first one an intruder would get to, so she would have a chance to escape while the intruder is offing me.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Jaw sling for the snorer, ear plugs for the snoree? (Partially in jest)
    And as she says, the spare bedroom is the first one an intruder would get to, so she would have a chance to escape while the intruder is offing me.
    Well, that would solve your snoring problem.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

No...but it is certainly a concern. I would get a sleep study too.

pretty sure the breathe rite strips are a placebo, don't know anyone who likes them. Fortunately for me, both members of our household are capable snorers, and the snoring bed is very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    It's probably not going to kill you, but apnea can really screw up your sleep. I strongly recommend seeing a sleep doc.
    It won't kill you directly, but apnea is very hard on you and significantly increases your chances of arrhythmia, hypertension, and heart failure. The loss of sleep over time can cause cognitive decline, too. If you snore and any sleep issues at all, it's a good idea to get a sleep study to rule out apnea. If you don't have it, good for you. But if you do, getting it treated may significantly improve your quality of life. I had no idea I had apnea, but once I got it treated, I felt so much better. I remember the morning after my sleep study, I actually felt more refreshed than I had in weeks. That's not true for everyone, of course, but it's worth it for all those other reasons, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I have snored severely since I was a kid when I was built like Brandon Ingram. I'm in my late 40s now. I did various sleep tests (which are not fun but not horrible) and they confirmed my sleep apnea. Had my very large tonsils, adenoids and uvula out (yes, I have no uvula!) and my septum straightened in my early 20s - this time of year because I scheduled it so that I could be off work and recovering during the NCAA tournament. Didn't really help and that surgery as an adult is not horrible but is more complicated than when you are a kid.

I tried CPAP over the years and couldn't tolerate it. My dentist made me a mouth guard but it didn't really help. One world-renowned ENT told me I had three basic choices - use the machine, have a much higher risk of dying young, or he could break my face (you can do surgery where they realign your jaw - it is very complex).

So about 10 years ago I tried the CPAP again and I can now tolerate it - technology has gotten somewhat better so that it is a bit easier to use (for instance, there is a ramp up rather than it just blowing a gust of air in your face immediately), and I found a great sleep doctor who has found the right balance of patience, humor, creativity and kicking me in the backside to make it work. Early on I would take it off in my sleep a lot but now I largely use it through the night. I don't think it has changed how I feel that much but apparently it makes me snore less so happy wife, happy life. And using the CPAP brought down my life insurance rates significantly, which was a nice side benefit (in addition to hopefully helping me to live longer). I looked into one of the implant devices a few years ago but apparently I am 50/50 between the two types of sleep apnea so do not qualify.

So I would advise finding a good sleep doctor and going from there. Decent chance it isn't sleep apnea but it doesn't hurt to ask. There are also pillows people use, losing weight could help, etc. The sleep doctor could help with these suggestions as well.
    Sounds like I have similar body type as you ó Iím 5í9Ē and 142 lbs with 9% body fat. I would need to be tied down in a tropical storm lest I go airborne.

For years I snored, badly. My wife said during the night she would sometimes hear me stop breathing for quite a period of time before I would begin again. It likely related to my having broken my nose three times ó twice while playing basketball, once while playing football.

Nasal surgery in my 20ís helped with the breathing, but didnít fix it 100%. So I did a sleep study in my 30ís and it was determined that a CPAP would provide additional benefits to my breathing, which would theoretically allow me to sleep more soundly and stop snoring.

And it has worked quite well ever since. I fall asleep within a couple of minutes and only wake up once during the night ó usually about 2-3 hours after falling asleep ó whereby I go to the bathroom (without turning on any lights) and then fall back to sleep quickly. And the snoring has been completely eradicated as well.

The CPAP has been a life-changer ó for me, but also for my wife, who no longer has to be bothered by my snoring nor stress out wondering whether or not my breathing is going to resume.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    ... she says, the spare bedroom is the first one an intruder would get to, so she would have a chance to escape while the intruder is offing me.
    See? Women are always smarter and we plan ahead.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    So, in the end, it all comes down to self-preservation? Thatís the bottom line?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Women's longer lifespan has been attributed to "biology."

I think it's that women are just more clever than men. Let men be men. Let them stand in harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I use the 3M non-allergenic micropore tape to tape my mouth. Itís a lot less than some of the branded mouth tapes. I also use Intake nasal strip https://www.intakebreathing.com/?gad...IaAjXgEALw_wcB

I prefer it to Breathe Right. The Breathe Right fall off and donít open the nose near as much as Intake.
    Thx for your suggestion. I started using the Intake strips instead of Breathe Right and they are MUCH better. Mrs. tommy is much happier. . .