Too early to write this teams epitaph...

Hi,

There will be plenty of time this summer to write about what may or may not have gone wrong. I am as bummed as anyone about Duke's quick exit from the ACC Tournament. However, I am not ready to talk about about the end of the season until it really is the end of the season. If the Devils can suddenly and somewhat inexplicably (why aren't they communicating on defense anymore?) play subpar defense, I think they can turn back on the defensive switch. If they do that and continue playing offense, well let's see what happens.

Duke is usually on the receiving end of some big old ugly upset that stays in one's craw for a long time. I relish the thought of Duke delivering that sort of blow to a team such as Texas A&M or Kansas in the NCAA Tournament. Don't forget, if we knock out a one or a two seed we suddenly get the teams that team was "supposed" to play.

Rest, good nutrition, some intense practices and the Devils will be able to breath fire again. I know this is going to sound very Californian, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Devils take a Yoga class or two (ducks from objects potentially thrown my way). I think it would be good for their minds. Then again I think just about everyone should do Yoga. So, I hope nobody at Chapel Hill does it.

GO DUKE!

It may not be a bad idea Kewl. Just too late to learn it, as you know. A point worth considering in the future though...

Duke needs a good draw. I'm looking at Lunardi's projected top 12 teams (3 seed or above), and the only teams I wouldn't mind playing would be Wisconsin (current projected 2 seed), Pittsburgh (3 seed), and Washington St (3 seed)... I'd say there's less than a 20% chance we'll get a draw we like.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

There IS one reason for optimism and it's that with Gerald back, Duke will probably start playing the 4-guard lineup predominantly from here on out (and we get some extra practice time with it, to boot). The 4-guard lineup will be different from the predominant lineup we've played during the season, and it'll be different from what opposing teams are used to seeing. Different might mean better in this case and might win us a couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke needs a good draw. I'm looking at Lunardi's projected top 12 teams (3 seed or above), and the only teams I wouldn't mind playing would be Wisconsin (current projected 2 seed), Pittsburgh (3 seed), and Washington St (3 seed)... I'd say there's less than a 20% chance we'll get a draw we like.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

There IS one reason for optimism and it's that with Gerald back, Duke will probably start playing the 4-guard lineup predominantly from here on out (and we get some extra practice time with it, to boot). The 4-guard lineup will be different from the predominant lineup we've played during the season, and it'll be different from what opposing teams are used to seeing. Different might mean better in this case and might win us a couple of games.
    Hi,

A good draw would certainly help. A four guard set sounds good to me. Would Marty play more in that set? I know that we have stumbled a bit, but I don't think ANY team really wants to play us. They may say they do, but deep down they know we are a sleeping giant.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

A good draw would certainly help. A four guard set sounds good to me. Would Marty play more in that set? I know that we have stumbled a bit, but I don't think ANY team really wants to play us. They may say they do, but deep down they know we are a sleeping giant.

GO DUKE!
    I would HOPE Marty plays a lot in such a lineup. Someone's gotta keep the starters fresh and he'd be the only guard remaining on the bench.

hey Kelswim,

I see it as you do: I think Duke is going to come back and we probably will get a 7 seed or maybe lower, and eventually may match with Kansas or a team close to their ability.

K is going to use this whole thing with GH as a motivator and we've all been accustomed to watching Duke go out there with a 'it's us versus the world' attitude.

I'm interested to see where we're going and also I'm excited about what K is going to do with this team.

dth.

Thank you for recognizing that Trouble!

Just Remember

In the words of Yogi Berra, it ain't over till its over, and we still have the NCAA's.

I think we will get a 7 seed and matchup with Wisonsin, UCLA, etc. Some of those teams I think are beatable

Quote Originally Posted by duke24/7 View Post
    In the words of Yogi Berra, it ain't over till its over, and we still have the NCAA's.

I think we will get a 7 seed and matchup with Wisonsin, UCLA, etc. Some of those teams I think are beatable
    Hi,

On any given day, ANY team is beatable. The Devils just have to find a way to win in a one and done scenario. The NCAA tournament is an upset minded tournament and I am looking forward (perhaps hoping is a better way to put it) to the Devils doing some upsetting.

GO DUKE!

In recent years Duke has gone into the NCAAs fresh off of an ACC Tournament championship or runner-up and with total losses in the low single-digits. Therefore, we've come to think that going into the NCAAs on a hot streak is the fundamental nature of the universe.

But several times earlier in his career, K took a Duke team that was reeling into the NCAAs and managed to stay alive longer than old man "mo" would have suggested.

1987-Duke lost in first round of ACC Tournament to NC State, 3rd loss in 4 games, 4th in 6 games. Duke makes Sweet Sixteen

1988-Duke loses three straight late in regular season. Makes FF

1989-Duke loses last two regular season games. Makes FF

1990-Duke loses to Georgia Tech in ACCT semis, 4th loss in 6 games. Duke makes NCAA title game.

Now Duke went into the 1993, 1996, and 1997 NCAAs on a downward trend and went out early, so there are precedents both ways. But Krzyzewski has had some success turning around a team in March.

I guarantee you come Sunday night there are going to be some teams very, very disappointed to see Duke in their brackets.